What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

PJ

First Grade
Watched GOTG 3 on the weekend - Loved it - Great to see Rockets origin

Couple of parts had me laughing out loud (Drax and Mantis are hilarious)

Completely disagree.

Thought it was trash, with as you said the exception of the origin elements.

Daughter who watches all the Marvels with me left before the end.

Very happy I didn't pay to see it at the movies

I really enjoyed 3. It felt like it had stakes, and there was some real emotion to it. As per usual, the soundtrack slapped.

I will say this though:

Probably the most violent Marvel film? By some margin? Also, the first unfiltered f-bomb in the whole franchise unless I'm mistaken.
Yeah had big stakes..........if big characters almost dying but being miraculously saved every time is your idea of stakes

The origin stuff was nice and there were some great visuals but man, Marvel just wont take any risks after Endgame and it shows

Matua

Bench
DC Venom, I mean Blue Beetle. Watchable, average DC superhero film, if you like the Snyderverse you'll probably hate this because it at least attempts to be fun.

Stars the kid from Cobra Kai.

shiznit

Coach
Seen a couple of episodes of Loki season 2… definitely different… can certainly dig that they are going a different route.

wont really be able to rate it until the end of the season but I think it’s a good continuation of the first season.

Lokis character arc is interesting… it kinda seems like he’s almost completed his journey back to where he was at the beginning of infinity war.

I was kinda hoping he was gonna go dark… and then maybe come back to the main MCU as even more menacing…

Frederick

Staff member
Gen V is amazing. As good as The Boys

Loki still remains one of the best Marvel Studios TV series

Frederick

Staff member
I saw it tonight. Was fun to watch. Definitely not the worst thing to come from the MCU, and not the death knell that everyone thinks it will be.

Matua

Bench
Apparently the Marvels is really good.
It's fun. I thought the four leads were great (I'm including Jackson as Fury as he has a prominent role) together and one scene had the cinema laughing out loud.

A bunch of critics aren't liking it though according to RT so not sure if it will be a box office success. I don't read reviews etc before seeing a movie so I was genuinely surprised at the negativity after I saw it.

Weirdly the audience score on RT is good, but the man babies appear to have been out in force on Google as there's a huge number of 1 out of 5 reviews and even if you don't like the movie it's clear not a 1 star.

What I don't get about some of the anti Marvel criticism these days is that the DC films are doing even worse (the failed Ant-Man made more than Shazam and Blue Beetle combined, although I expect Aquaman 2 to buck that trend) suggesting it's more comic book movies fatigue than Marvel specifically.

Although I haven't watched Loki yet, thought the first season went off the rails after a promising start but thought Majors and girl Loki were pretty wooden performances. But I'll watch it soon.

shiznit

Coach
Watched The Marvels… pretty fun movie. Ms Marvel probably stole the show… but I think the chemistry between all the main characters are what carried the film IMO…

The story wasn’t all that great TBH… I’m not sure if it was the writing or the editing… or both…it seemed really disjointed and kinda bounced around between points… I would say it was the writing but I get the feeling that there was a larger story here which was cut down to 1hr 40mins by the studio which just didn’t help the overall story.

the whole annihilator of Hala portion felt like it should have been given more focus than the dance planet and whatever else…

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Watched The Marvels… pretty fun movie. Ms Marvel probably stole the show… but I think the chemistry between all the main characters are what carried the film IMO…

The story wasn’t all that great TBH… I’m not sure if it was the writing or the editing… or both…it seemed really disjointed and kinda bounced around between points… I would say it was the writing but I get the feeling that there was a larger story here which was cut down to 1hr 40mins by the studio which just didn’t help the overall story.

the whole annihilator of Hala portion felt like it should have been given more focus than the dance planet and whatever else…
Yeah, this was the one comic book movie I thought they could have made longer. Getting to two hours would have allowed for more of the backstory around Hala and Captain M and allowed for more current Hala while still keeping the musical planet in.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Rotten tomatoes is hardly the greatest indicator of the quality of a movie or tv show. Ticket sales are all that matters and this movie is cratering. Another massive bomb for Disney coming up.

“Put a chick in it and make her gay and lame”

Zoidberg

First Grade
I just finished watching She-Hulk. I thought the first few eps were ok, then it just went so far downhill. I’d heard about the final episode but it went beyond my poor expectations for it.