What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

azzah72

Bench
I saw Captain Marvel yesterday.

As for the majority of Marvel movies, perfectly entertaining but also completely middle of the road.

There's really only like 6 or 7 genuinely good Marvel movies in my opinion and the rest are solid, formulaic movies that have a bit of good action, a bit of good humour and otherwise forgettable.

Marvel had a few good moments, a good soundtrack, a couple of funny moments and that's about it.

I will say I got more joy from the 8 YO girl sitting next to me who was genuinely enthralled and I dare say empowered by moments in the movie, particularly one moment of "triumph" that I felt was slightly unearned but when I saw her reaction, I realised that wasn't done for me, it was done for her and it clearly works. Good for them on that.

Everyone was solid enough and the movie was fine.

6/10

Timbo

Staff member
I saw Captain Marvel yesterday.

As for the majority of Marvel movies, perfectly entertaining but also completely middle of the road.

There's really only like 6 or 7 genuinely good Marvel movies in my opinion and the rest are solid, formulaic movies that have a bit of good action, a bit of good humour and otherwise forgettable.

Marvel had a few good moments, a good soundtrack, a couple of funny moments and that's about it.

I will say I got more joy from the 8 YO girl sitting next to me who was genuinely enthralled and I dare say empowered by moments in the movie, particularly one moment of "triumph" that I felt was slightly unearned but when I saw her reaction, I realised that wasn't done for me, it was done for her and it clearly works. Good for them on that.

Everyone was solid enough and the movie was fine.

6/10

Yeah, that sums up my feelings entirely. I enjoyed it, but my nieces absolutely loved it.

I’d call it about a 7.5/10, on par with Dr Strange or Ant Man. Very fun but fairly forgettable.

Last Week

Bench
I thought it was meh. Not bad, just meh.

I thought it was very slow to build up. Not to be that guy, but I didn't find Larson captivating at all. The movie or her acting didn't give me any reason to care or invest in the character at all.

I give the ending credit though, didn't see the twist coming.

As far as Origin movies go, it was on the lower end of quality for the MCU. The only Origin movie I'll have this in front of is the Hulk.

I was disappointed in the lack of Ronin in the movie also.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Just saw Captain Marvel and it was ok. Enjoyed being in the universe and the side characters more so than Marvel herself. Sam Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn were best of the bunch.
No Doubt’s “I’m just a girl” was as poorly placed as I expected, cheesiest part of the movie. Still enjoyable enough.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
The Problem with Captain Marvel is that it's an Origin Movie when the MCU is far beyond Origin movies. Compare her character with how the introduced Black Panther in Civil War and Black Panther (the movie) was kind of like a soft origin story. Once Captain Marvel was able to 'Unleash' it was enjoyable (if a little cheesey with no doubt) but the slog to get there was meh.

shiznit

Coach
I’d like to point attention to the end of a post I made in July last year about Gunn’s firing... coincidence that he gets rehired literally days before the merger is complete?? :joy::joy:

He’s kind of interesting... he’s probably considered quite conservative considering how forthright he’s been with his religious beliefs...

I wonder if the conservative crazies that went after Gunn will give Pratt a pass.

I have a conspiracy theory about this whole situation...

I wonder if Disney pulled the trigger in Gunn as quick as they did due to the pending shareholder meetings at Disney and Fox over the merger.

There was a thought out there that Disney treated Rosanne Barr(right wing) differently to James Gunn(left wing).

And I wondered if they thought this could hurt them when it came to the Fox shareholders vote as obviously Fox is notoriously right wing centric.

Now that they have cleared the shareholders hurdle and have now been greenlit by the regulators in the US... maybe they can backtrack on the Gunn firing.

I actually wouldn’t be suprised if Iger & Feige gave Gunn a tap on the shoulder and said we will cut you publicly for the next 12-24months while we get this merger completed and then we will rehire you again once this is done..

shiznit

Coach
The front page of the Walt Disney Company Webpage...

D1-BA4-E9-A-2-CB0-49-BC-B349-360352-A88-C70.jpg

It could be just me... but even though we’ve know about this happening for nearly a year... it’s still kinda surreal to see Deadpool on this... and to a lesser extent Avatar...

shiznit

Coach
Shazam Review!

Great score... it looks like lots of fun.

I wasn’t all that excited about it but my son seems to be pumped... this review is really promising.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Need a few more lighter and fun ones in between considering how dark and depressing endgame is going to be.

Frederick

Staff member
Endgame runtime announced. Not gonna be drinking anything that whole day...no way I'm gonna be running off to the toilet during it

Matua

Bench
This is f**king hilarious!

It is crazy the amount of videos just on Captain Marvel posted by particular channels, and then some of them basically just admitting they do it for the $$.

What is wrong with their audience that they lap that shit up even when it's clear it's, well, shit.

bileduct

Coach
It is crazy the amount of videos just on Captain Marvel posted by particular channels, and then some of them basically just admitting they do it for the $$.

What is wrong with their audience that they lap that shit up even when it's clear it's, well, shit.
That Jeremy f**kwit from Geeks+Gamers is the absolute worst of the lot.

As Dusty points out, the guy has made over 100 videos about Captain Marvel and he hasn't even seen it. The moron said he was boycotting the film, and told everyone to go see Alita: Battle Angel on CM's opening weekend instead. Later when the numbers came in, people laughed at him and told him his boycott failed, and his response was that he only said that he was personally boycotting the film and that he didn't ask for others to.

There's a bunch of these channels that just whine about everything from Dr Who to Star Trek Discovery. They scour shitty websites for articles about those shows, then put a massive spin on them with a clickbait headline. One makes a video about something, and all the other ones copy it.

It's ironic that these same losers are the ones that keep bringing up Anita Sarkeesian's "everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic, and you have to point it all out to everyone all the time" without realising that they've become exactly like her.

There's hardly any middle ground anymore. There's either f**kwits like these guys who just trash everything they believe they are ideologically opposed to, or there's this gushing overwhelming praise which seems totally fake.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
That Jeremy f**kwit from Geeks+Gamers is the absolute worst of the lot.

As Dusty points out, the guy has made over 100 videos about Captain Marvel and he hasn't even seen it. The moron said he was boycotting the film, and told everyone to go see Alita: Battle Angel on CM's opening weekend instead. Later when the numbers came in, people laughed at him and told him his boycott failed, and his response was that he only said that he was personally boycotting the film and that he didn't ask for others to.

There's a bunch of these channels that just whine about everything from Dr Who to Star Trek Discovery. They scour shitty websites for articles about those shows, then put a massive spin on them with a clickbait headline. One makes a video about something, and all the other ones copy it.

It's ironic that these same losers are the ones that keep bringing up Anita Sarkeesian's "everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic, and you have to point it all out to everyone all the time" without realising that they've become exactly like her.

There's hardly any middle ground anymore. There's either f**kwits like these guys who just trash everything they believe they are ideologically opposed to, or there's this gushing overwhelming praise which seems totally fake.
I don't watch any of this stuff (Youtube not the movies, I'll go see any movie and don't watch trailers or read reviews before doing so) but was following this a bit more closely as I noticed the IMDB ratings were weird.

The Irish guy seemed the most annoying as he was just a dipshit.

I liked it, but then again I like Marvel movies for what they are - escapist entertainment, and I liked Alita as well. Neither are outstanding but they're both watcheable. I'd make a hopeless Youtuber as I'd get no clicks.

shiznit

Coach
Endgame runtime announced. Not gonna be drinking anything that whole day...no way I'm gonna be running off to the toilet during it

Mate.... I missed the Thor’s Wakanda entrance because I was taking my 6yr old to the toilet...

It was bad enough I had to watch it 2 weeks after it was released because I was in the islands... I missed the coolest part...

The kid is still sleeping outside... :joy::joy: