What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Crockett debate

How many weeks for Crockett?

• Total voters

jimmythehand

Juniors
skeepe said:
Clearly a shoulders tackle. Not even a penalty, IMO. Warriors play on for the knock on, try.

Thanks for the proof that there should have been no send off Dodge. Phelps was just unlucky. As for the touch judge "first point of contact the head" get some glasses you f**king clown.

What are you talking about, that's the end of the tackle not the start of the tackle. After taking a second look I'm not sure either - but the photo could easily be a shot after initial contact with the head with the arm on the way down. And you're obviously not up to speed with the rules - a shoulder to the head is just as illegal as a swinging arm.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/In...y-with-Crockett/2007/06/04/1180809393424.html

Injured Phelps not angry with Crockett

Bulldogs winger Cameron Phelps says he harbours no ill will towards New Zealand Warriors winger Michael Crockett despite the sickening high shot that left him physically ill after Sunday's NRL win in Auckland.

Crockett was sent off after five minutes for the shot on Phelps, who says he only stopped vomiting at 5am on Monday morning.

The 22-year-old says, while he can't remember the tackle, he knows there would have been no malice intended from Crockett.

Phelps says Crockett has contacted him several times since the match, won 40-20 by the Dogs, to check on his condition.

skeepe

Immortal
jimmythehand said:
What are you talking about, that's the end of the tackle not the start of the tackle. After taking a second look I'm not sure either - but the photo could easily be a shot after initial contact with the head with the arm on the way down. And you're obviously not up to speed with the rules - a shoulder to the head is just as illegal as a swinging arm.

He never made contact with the head at any stage you clown.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Dogaholic said:
Watch the clip a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOdcN579-go

i am sure you will see contact to Phelp's head.

Yup and most of it came from the Warriors players (Witt & Hohaia?) coming in over the top afterwards. At full speed the tackle looked spectacular, but I've sure the worst of it came after Crockett made contact.

Touch judge is still an idiot, there's no defending that. "Swinging arm, first contact the head."

Reminds me of the Ali Lauititi send off against Manly somewhere in 1999-2001. Touch judge made a similar report after a shoulder shot. Then during halftime the Warriors reportedly intercepted a conversation through the touch judge and ref microphones where the touchy was making jokes about getting it wrong.

Dogaholic

First Grade
KeepingTheFaith said:
Yup and most of it came from the Warriors players (Witt & Hohaia?) coming in over the top afterwards. At full speed the tackle looked spectacular, but I've sure the worst of it came after Crockett made contact.

Touch judge is still an idiot, there's no defending that. "Swinging arm, first contact the head."

Reminds me of the Ali Lauititi send off against Manly somewhere in 1999-2001. Touch judge made a similar report after a shoulder shot. Then during halftime the Warriors reportedly intercepted a conversation through the touch judge and ref microphones where the touchy was making jokes about getting it wrong.

I actually think that all 3 of them got some contact to his head. Watched it a few time and it looks to me that Crockett's shoulder to bicep had some contact with Phelp's head. I didn't see no swinging arm though.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
2 weeks! What a joke for Crockett, he should fight it. It was Witt who really did the damage but that was from his chest. The Judiciary seems like they are a bunch of blokes who never played any footy these days. Very very soft.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I just watched a replay of the match and at the end I heard an interesting convo between Hamstead and someone....went like this

Hamstead:"Was it worth a send off?"

Other guy:"Very marginal"

Dogaholic

First Grade
Captain Charisma said:
I just watched a replay of the match and at the end I heard an interesting convo between Hamstead and someone....went like this

Hamstead:"Was it worth a send off?"

Other guy:"Very marginal"

After the FT siren?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I was sure on the Sports Ears i heard Hampstead in conversation with the video ref and i swear i heard him say on report.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Dogaholic said:
I actually think that all 3 of them got some contact to his head. Watched it a few time and it looks to me that Crockett's shoulder to bicep had some contact with Phelp's head. I didn't see no swinging arm though.

It was marginal as far as contact went, but if anything it was a glancing blow that propelled Phelps down and towards the other two incoming Warriors who really collected him in a nasty collision. Phelps was off balance and on his way down after the Crockett hit, but he didn't lose the ball and his head didn't snap back until after the other two came in.

As I said before I feel for Crockett because if there were no other players involved I don't think Phelps would've been knocked cold. It didn't help that both Crockett and Phelps had both worked up some speed and then the other two weren't exactly jogging in either. Phelps became a human pinball. I could understand how Phelps might be a bit annoyed if nothing came of it, but I believe Crockett has become a victim of circumstances rather than a any charge of genuine guilt, which is why I'd fight the charge.

If he loses he'll get three weeks, plus having missed 75 mins of the previous game he's practically been rubbed out for a month. I don't think that was worth a month.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Victor Meldrew said:
I was sure on the Sports Ears i heard Hampstead in conversation with the video ref and i swear i heard him say on report.

Can that be used in defence? The video replay suggests no swinging arm and yet the touche judge report was "swinging arm first contact with the head". If the video ref had already recommended on report and then the touche judge has come in with that, plus the fact more damage appeared to come from other players. Crockett has a case.

Iafeta

Referee
Firstly, I hope young Phelps will be ok.

Secondly, no dramas with the send off, if we're consistent. I didn't see it live but watched a replay of Hohaia getting cleaned up not long after that. Was there any discipline taken on that tackle?

Dogaholic

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Firstly, I hope young Phelps will be ok.

Secondly, no dramas with the send off, if we're consistent. I didn't see it live but watched a replay of Hohaia getting cleaned up not long after that. Was there any discipline taken on that tackle?

By luke patten? or a rake around the shoulders/neck by maitua?

Iafeta

Referee
Following on, I think consistency is the crux of the matter.

Before Origin #1, Dallas Johnson cops Reni Maitua high with a shoulder in a late and high tackle, he beats the Judiciary and is cleared to play Origin. That was a foul tackle.

That's the problem I have with the various gradings is the consistency. Johnson's probably should have been higher, but then laughably it was nothing as Origin was around the corner.

Iafeta

Referee
Dogaholic said:
By luke patten? or a rake around the shoulders/neck by maitua?

Yeah I think it was the Patten one, only caught a glancing replay of it...

Dogaholic

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Yeah I think it was the Patten one, only caught a glancing replay of it...

There was no contact to the head what so ever. Just some good solid body contact.

atomic_crimson

Juniors
Lights for phelps were out before Lance came in. He was unlucky he copped three knocks to the head which may have made it worse. However anyone who thought sonny deserved his send off, should not be disagreeing with the send off of crockett.

As for myself - I don't think either should have been a send off.

Sherwin also got penalised for an "apparent" high shot which then later showed that he got him around the shoulders. ( Not sure if that is the one you are talking about?)