What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Crockett debate

How many weeks for Crockett?

• Total voters

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
atomic_crimson said:
Lights for phelps were out before Lance came in. He was unlucky he copped three knocks to the head which may have made it worse. However anyone who thought sonny deserved his send off, should not be disagreeing with the send off of crockett.

As for myself - I don't think either should have been a send off.

Sherwin also got penalised for an "apparent" high shot which then later showed that he got him around the shoulders. ( Not sure if that is the one you are talking about?)

I agree that neither should've been sent off.

The Sherwin one wasn't a penalty. He jumped up and piggy backed McKinnon that's all. The only Patten shot on Hohaia that I remember was the shoulder charge which was legal.

There was one on Martin though that wasn't penalised. It was a lazy arm and no real weight to it but it definately hit Martin high. Should of been a penalty but that was it.

Dogaholic

First Grade
KeepingTheFaith said:
I agree that neither should've been sent off.

The Sherwin one wasn't a penalty. He jumped up and piggy backed McKinnon that's all. The only Patten shot on Hohaia that I remember was the shoulder charge which was legal.

There was one on Martin though that wasn't penalised. It was a lazy arm and no real weight to it but it definately hit Martin high. Should of been a penalty but that was it.

that was from Maitua. Was worth a penalty.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Captain Charisma said:
Imagine if Phelps hadn't been leaning down.....it would have been one hell of a hit.

He wasn't really leaning down. He was leaning forward - as you do when you get to the line and want to try and bust a tackle.

Bazal

Post Whore
Dodger said:
Yeah, pictures are a funny thing.

0,,5510435,00.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOdcN579-go

High shot sickens Phelps
By Steve Mascord

June 03, 2007 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

Bulldogs 40 Warriors 20

WARRIORS winger Michael Crockett was last night trying to contact rival Cameron Phelps after a sickening hit that left the Bulldogs youngster still vomiting four hours after its perpetrator was sent off.

The home side was left one man down after just five minutes at Mt Smart Stadium when Crockett – back in first grade after Manu Vatuvei's Monday Night Football shocker – collected Phelps high as he was running the ball out of his own corner.

Phelps was still dizzy and physically ill late last night as team-mates stayed by his side, forgoing celebrations after their first competition points in four games.

"I ran down to put a bit of pressure on – I thought it was a good kick and I wanted to pin them down there," a stunned Crockett told The Daily Telegraph in the Warriors' rooms. "I wanted to fire up the boys, you know?

"I've hit him with my shoulder. I've got a corked shoulder now, you don't get a corked shoulder from a swinging arm. It's out of my hands now."

Warriors official Richard Becht last night handed Phelps' phone number to the former Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra winger at a post-match function and he made several unsuccessful attempts to get through.

But Phelps was in bed at the Crowne Plaza and not taking calls.

"I haven't had the chance to speak to him but I'd like to," Crockett said.

"I didn't mean anything by it, it was an accident."

Team doctor Hugh Hazard said that Phelps had no structural injuries, just severe concussion. Coaches Steve Folkes and Ivan Cleary agreed that Sonny Bill Williams' dismissal for a shot on Andrew Johns on March 18 meant Crockett's tackle was "a send-off offence". Williams said: "He (Crockett) would be feeling pretty bad right now. He'd be feeling sorry for what he's done."

But despite being told by their captain Andrew Ryan that they should put the Warriors in their own round-one shoes after Crockett's departure, the Bulldogs' lead at halftime was only 18-14, after Warriors winger Patrick Ah Van posted a spectacular score from Michael Witt's cross-kick in the 33rd minute.

In the second half, however, the Bulldogs' numerical advantage came to the fore. Man-of-the-match Williams ignored the attention of three defenders for one of his two tries and set up additional touchdowns for Kane Cleal and Reni Maitua.

The Warriors got as close as 20-24 for six minutes, but that was it.

It was an imperfect triumph for Folkes and his players after a week in which the club's unity has been questioned, with Williams saying: "After all the contro- versy of the week, we shut a few people up."

Unfortunately, outstanding back-rower Lee Te Maari will have to watch the Dogs' resurrection bid from the sidelines. He is out for eight weeks suffering from a medial ligament tear.

"You always look forward to playing a team like the Bulldogs – it's just a shame it wasn't 13 on 13," Warriors captain Steve Price said.

Asked what impact the sending-off had on the result, coach Ivan Cleary answered: "Lots."

BULLDOGS 40 (S Williams 2, L Te Maari, J Hickey, K Cleal, R Maitua, B Roberts tries; H El Masri 6 goals) NZ WARRIORS 20 (L Swann S Mannering P Ah Van J Ropati tries; T Martin 2 goals) at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland. Crowd: 10,041. Referee: S Hampstead.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21841274-5001023,00.html

Watch it all the times you like, Crockett went in wrong, the upper arm went for Phelps' neck-head area.

Trying to exonerate him based on the screen shot AuckMel posted is f**king laughable. A case to answer IMO but a week max - he was attempting a lower tackle and unfortunately the player was slightly coming down. Look pretty clear from the point of contact to me that Crockett is clearly the one who did the damage (and I'm not suggesting it was deliberate as I said he looked to be trying to impact on the chest/torso rather than anywhere high). Hohaia had little to do with the injury.

:lol::lol:

That shot if anything helps exonerate Crockett...his arm is clearly around the shoulder and chest, and the replays on Fox 15 seconds ago confirm that the impact from Crockett was not with the head...Hohaia is the one who did the damage, as he came in and Phelps was coming to ground his shoulder got him in the forehead and snapped his head back. The send off was a pathetic call and it cost NZ the game...and the 2 weeks suspension he faces is even more bloody spineless from the NRL.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Bazal said:
:lol::lol:

That shot if anything helps exonerate Crockett...his arm is clearly around the shoulder and chest, and the replays on Fox 15 seconds ago confirm that the impact from Crockett was not with the head...Hohaia is the one who did the damage, as he came in and Phelps was coming to ground his shoulder got him in the forehead and snapped his head back. The send off was a pathetic call and it cost NZ the game...and the 2 weeks suspension he faces is even more bloody spineless from the NRL.

:blahb: :blahb: :blahb:

Parra supporter - that stance is to be expected.

Iafeta

Referee
If they can prove that the contact came from Hohaia, they should plead not guilty and attempt to prove this. The judiciary will be unable to charge Lance Hohaia with the same offence now.

Bazal

Post Whore
Dogaholic said:
:blahb: :blahb: :blahb:

Parra supporter - that stance is to be expected.

LOL...yeah that's it, I love the fact that a young kid was severely concussed cos hey, he's a filthy Bulldog :roll:

f**kwit...Hohaia did the damage, it was clear on the footage and he should have been suspended. Crockett basically lassoed him around the shoulder, bent him back in a nasty way but there was nothing wrong with it. Disgraceful decision, and spineless of the NRL to charge him when they are clearly doing so to protect the officials...

-Dr.J-

Juniors
This whole thread has been a disappointing conclusion about some of the Dogs fans. But the figures are in the frame, you beat an undermanned side *good for you* and the figures are in the frame, it's 70 votes for no punishment. Case closed.

Iafeta

Referee
It's a pity Crockett isn't an Origin quality player, he'd get off either way.

Just ask Dallas Johnson, the "I have an Origin match to play" defence works well.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The NRL think they can just suspend him for a couple ofweeks because he isn't a big name player so ther won't be much of an uproar about it. It's bullsh*t.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Case closed?

Closed? :lol:

At least 20 or 30, probably more, of those votes are by biased Warriors fans.

Again though, I'll reiterate my point - my judgment is based on the SBW precedent set in Round 1 - given the circumstances and prior sentences for similar tackles he has to get two weeks. On it's own merit it warranted no send off, just an on report and a penalty, 0-1 weeks.

Unfortunately not.

Case closed:

judicrd12.jpg

Timmah

Staff member
I'm sorry?

That's directly from the NRL, check out the Eels forum. Why the f**k would I waste time on a fake charge sheet, it's not even in my own photobucket.

He's gone for 2 weeks.

Timmah

Staff member
CROCKETT LANDS RECKLESS HIGH TACKLE CHARGE

Vodafone Warriors winger Michael Crockett has been charged with a grade two reckless high tackle offence by the NRL's match review committee.
The 24-year-old was ordered off in the fifth minute of yesterday's 20-40 loss to the Bulldogs at Mt Smart Stadium.
Referee Sean Hampstead marched Crockett after a tackle led to Crockett's opposite Cameron Phelps being stretchered off.
Crockett's charge carries 262 points if he takes an early guilty plea, equating to a two-match suspension. He will miss three games (350 points) if he defends the charge and loses.
Three other players were also charged after the weekend's football.

Dragons forwards Jason Ryles and Corey Payne have both been charged with a dangerous throw offence. Ryles will escape a suspension if he pleads guilty while Payne will miss one game.
North Queensland's Jacob Lillyman is up on a striking charge. He won't miss a game - therefore making him available for Origin II - he enters an early guilty plea.

From your own clubs website.
www.warriors.co.nz

Looks like I was right, based on what happened to SBW, send off plus two weeks. He doesn't deserve it but that's the way they've gone.

Timmah

Staff member
You know, I sh*t-stir sometimes but I don't ever post fake stuff like that in an attempt to win an argument, sorry brf_82.

But I'm guessing you'll go missing just like last time when you tried to insult me after I said nothing to you.

Timmah

Staff member
Not sure if this got a run earlier in the thread.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21844778-23214,00.html

Phelps turns other cheek
By Liam FitzGibbon
June 04, 2007

BULLDOGS winger Cameron Phelps said today he harboured no ill will towards New Zealand Warriors rival Michael Crockett despite the sickening high shot that left him violently ill after yesterday's NRL win in Auckland.

Crockett faces a two to three week suspension after he was sent from the field by referee Sean Hampstead for knocking Phelps out in only the fifth minute of the 40-20 loss.

Phelps arrived back in Sydney with the Bulldogs today and revealed he had been left so ill by the knock that he was vomiting until 5am (AEST) this morning.

"I've never felt that bad in my life," Phelps said.

"I've been knocked out a few times but I've never felt like that.

"My head was killing, and I was just vomiting non-stop."

Phelps, playing in his first NRL match this year, said while he didn't remember much about the incident, he did not believe any malice was intended by Crockett.

"I haven't seen the replay yet and I can't remember too much but I know there was no malice in it," Phelps said.

"No-one goes out to hurt anyone.

"Michael has actually sent me a message and given me a few phone calls, so I'll have to give him a call."

Despite the heavy knock, Phelps's sense of humour was still intact, the 22 year old able to see the lighter side of his experiences across the Tasman Sea.

"Last year I played my first game in New Zealand and got 10 minutes (off the bench) there and I've added two minutes to that total, so it's been good fun," Phelps said.

"It's a good hunting ground for me, New Zealand."

Phelps's good friend and teammate Mark O'Meley revealed how he played caretaker for the winger after last night's clash.

"I went and saw him a couple of times but the room was pretty smelly, he had vomited a few times," O'Meley said.

"So, I opened the window for him, ordered a club sandwich, had it next door and walked in and out a few times, but yeah he was in a bad way."

Although considered unlucky by some to be marched, the match review committee today charged Crockett with a reckless grade-two high tackle.

He will be banned for two games with an early guilty plea, or miss three weeks if found guilty, a likely outcome if he contests the charge.

That could spell a quick return to first grade for New Zealand winger Manu Vatuvei, who was dropped to Premier League after his error-riddled performance against Parramatta for the Warriors.

Bulldogs back rower Sonny Bill Williams, who was sent off for the high shot that knocked out Andrew Johns in the Bulldogs' round-two loss to Newcastle, said he had some sympathy for Crockett.

"Yeah, I guess he would have been feeling pretty ordinary at the time," Williams said, "especially after the loss because the worst thing about when I got sent off was that we lost."

Phelps will undergo scans this week as a precaution.

AAP

Latest posts