What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dolphins brand, jersey, merch etc

Redcliffe was the original site for European settlement in Moreton Bay before it was relocated to Wickham Terrace. All the way back in 1824 if my memory is correct. They should just stick with Redcliffe for that reason and celebrate the 200th anniversary of it in their second season. It's history and the Dolphins have the rare opportunity of being a sports team that can educate the entire country about the origins of a city.

big hit!

Bench
A couple of poor decisions IMO. The lack of a name, and the kit is average.

What does it matter that Redcliffe is a little pocket of the Brisbane metropolitan? They are an operating football club and have been for as long as Parramatta and Manly. They are the most successful QLD state club of the last 30 years!

Being named after a small region or a suburb, and having no gameday presence there hasn't hurt South Sydney, or the several clubs in the AFL that continue to carry the suburban name without a link to the area such as Collingwood (play at MCG, train at Melbourne Park), Hawthorn (play MCG, train at Mulgrave). These clubs all have a national presence today.

The best example of a club similar to Redcliffe making the transition from state to national league is Port Adelaide. Their initial problems were due to the club being forced to become two operations and forming PAMFC to continue in the state league. Redcliffe have no such issue as far as I am aware. One club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Still think they should be the North Brisbane Dolphins. Their branding as 'THE' just sucks. Wonder how long till they realise how much it sucks and change to add something?

MugaB

Coach
Still think they should be the North Brisbane Dolphins. Their branding as 'THE' just sucks. Wonder how long till they realise how much it sucks and change to add something?
Im fairly sure if they were to call themselves something, it wouldn't involve Brisbane in the actual name, it would be Moreton Bay, or SEQ or Sunshine State, using "Brisbane" isn't inclusive to the northern corridor area that they are trying to represent, hence why the games are not only all at Suncorp

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ye
Im fairly sure if they were to call themselves something, it wouldn't involve Brisbane in the actual name, it would be Moreton Bay, or SEQ or Sunshine State, using "Brisbane" isn't inclusive to the northern corridor area that they are trying to represent, hence why the games are not only all at Suncorp
Yeh I get that but the reality is the money is in Brisbane and id have thought you’d get more corporate support identifying with the city rather than a region? Not to mention if Suncorp is home then your predominant active supporter target is going to be brisbane.

MugaB

Coach
Ye

Yeh I get that but the reality is the money is in Brisbane and id have thought you’d get more corporate support identifying with the city rather than a region? Not to mention if Suncorp is home then your predominant active supporter target is going to be brisbane.
Its the reason tigers dont move away from concord or saints keep their presence in kogarah, and not fulltime in Wollongong, there is corporate backing in sydney, as will be Brisbane to the dolphins, but it doesn't mean it should not be inclusive to the outer northern suburbs/LGAs, again i see no issue with Sunshine State Dolphins, to keep it broad (much like GWS) or even sticking with Redcliffe or Moreton bay as that is your training ground and where you orginate from, important thing is that they play at Suncorp, but spread themselves sporadically throughout the season at SC and MB

big hit!

Bench
G-W-S is the worst name ever conceived for a sports team. They're not even called Greater Western Sydney in Melbourne, or anywhere for that matter. Even scoreboards and TV graphics refer to it mainly as GWS. And it is only ever used in policy/administrative sense up here. No one ever says they're from Greater Western Sydney, or says they're heading out to GWS.

IMO, Sunshine State is the best of the lot. It:
1 - References a region the club is looking to attract supporters, i.e., Sunshine Coast
2 - Refers to the state the team is based, i.e., Queensland
3 - Is broad enough to include Brisbane and Queensland for that matter, without having to refer to it in the name.

Golden State Warriors had this issue when they moved to San Francisco Bay Area in the 60s and began playing their games in Oakland. Even though Oakland is a part of the Bay Area, it is also its own county and folks of the East Bay are don't consider themselves San Franciscans. They adopted Golden State Warriors in the early 70s to reference the gold region it was in the 1800 (like the 49ers), and be inclusive of both San Francisco, Oakland, and the state of California as a whole.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
G-W-S is the worst name ever conceived for a sports team. They're not even called Greater Western Sydney in Melbourne, or anywhere for that matter. Even scoreboards and TV graphics refer to it mainly as GWS. And it is only ever used in policy/administrative sense up here. No one ever says they're from Greater Western Sydney, or says they're heading out to GWS.

1 - References a region the club is looking to attract supporters, i.e., Sunshine Coast
3 - Is broad enough to include Brisbane and Queensland for that matter, without having to refer to it in the name.

Golden State Warriors had this issue when they moved to San Francisco Bay Area in the 60s and began playing their games in Oakland. Even though Oakland is a part of the Bay Area, it is also its own county and folks of the East Bay are don't consider themselves San Franciscans. They adopted Golden State Warriors in the early 70s to reference the gold region it was in the 1800 (like the 49ers), and be inclusive of both San Francisco, Oakland, and the state of California as a whole.
Agreed wholeheartedly, the bid team did buy that name specifically (sunshine state) pretty sure it bought other names too, but that one is broad enough to work, i'll give it another few months and folks will be at it again asking this team to add a locality to the team again... like seriously "The Warriors" its been Auckland or NZ since forever, then folks started saying Vodafone.. who cares, its Auckland coz they play there, or NZ if you wanna get broader, calling them Vodafone Warriors feels cheap like they sold themselves...
The Dolphins also sounds shit, at least sunshine state can encompass any QLDer to follow this new QLD team

20210717_040725.png

A couple of poor decisions IMO. The lack of a name, and the kit is average.

What does it matter that Redcliffe is a little pocket of the Brisbane metropolitan? They are an operating football club and have been for as long as Parramatta and Manly. They are the most successful QLD state club of the last 30 years!

Being named after a small region or a suburb, and having no gameday presence there hasn't hurt South Sydney, or the several clubs in the AFL that continue to carry the suburban name without a link to the area such as Collingwood (play at MCG, train at Melbourne Park), Hawthorn (play MCG, train at Mulgrave). These clubs all have a national presence today.

The best example of a club similar to Redcliffe making the transition from state to national league is Port Adelaide. Their initial problems were due to the club being forced to become two operations and forming PAMFC to continue in the state league. Redcliffe have no such issue as far as I am aware. One club.
The important thing to remember is the game is run by braindead hicks from Sydney who think it's 1967 and couldn't give shit about any other city. There's one rule for them and another rule for everyone else. It's why our game will never grow.

Um, no one says they are from "Sunshine State" either bud. That name has the exact same problems you outlined for GWS

big hit!

Bench
Um, no one says they are from "Sunshine State" either bud. That name has the exact same problems you outlined for GWS

Not really. It's on, or used to be, many vehicle rego plates in the state. The name exists and has for a while.

Sunshine Coast is also a region the club is targeting so knocking that over too with 'Sunshine'

Not really. It's on, or used to be, many vehicle rego plates in the state. The name exists and has for a while.

Sunshine Coast is also a region the club is targeting so knocking that over too with 'Sunshine'
Whats with the rego plate reasoning? Just when you think youve read every dumb opinion on LU.....

big hit!

Bench
And? Do you think we should have named the Storm the "Garden State Storm"?

Does another Melbourne exist in the NRL?

Has the name 'Golden State' been a failure if it's been in use for half a century in a pro sport?

Interestingly, West Coast Eagles declined to call themselves Perth upon entering the AFL for several reasons, namely there was already a team called Perth (Demons) in the WAFL, and also, to have the same broad reach to Fremantle and beyond, similar to San Francisco and Oakland for Golden State. West Coast Eagles are the biggest club in Australia financially.

You obviously dislike the name Sunshine State, which is fair enough, but you've got poor rationale in your argument.

Does another Melbourne exist in the NRL?

Has the name 'Golden State' been a failure if it's been in use for half a century in a pro sport?

Interestingly, West Coast Eagles declined to call themselves Perth upon entering the AFL for several reasons, namely there was already a team called Perth (Demons) in the WAFL, and also, to have the same broad reach to Fremantle and beyond, similar to San Francisco and Oakland for Golden State. West Coast Eagles are the biggest club in Australia financially.

You obviously dislike the name Sunshine State, which is fair enough, but you've got poor rationale in your argument.
My rationale isnt poor, you just dont agree with it

"Sunshine State", while not being officially anything geographical is also far to broad a term. Thats my issue with it. We already have GC, Brisbane and Nth Qld who are all within the "Sunshine State". Its like letting the Bears into the comp and calling them the "Premier State Bears".

I dont agee that the Dolphins name has to have to wide reaching appeal far as territory goes. Its not a limiting factor in any other team in any comp across the globe. Its simply marketing BS that is wide of the mark

Latest posts