What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Downward Spiral

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I like Steve Price. He appears to be a good and decent young man. I do not however believe that he is yet mature enough or has sufficient experience to be a first grade coach. Let’s remember also that Steve Price did not appoint himself.
Our club has been down this route before; appointing a young and inexperienced coach in Nathan Brown with limited success. To venture down this route again so soon after the first failure is ludicrous and those responsible should be removed from office. Indeed if these office bearers were part of a public company they would have been gone at the end of last season.
The problem with having this young man as coach goes well beyond our immediate failure on the football field this year. The long downward spiral can eventuate very quickly and can have long term and devastating effects in terms of recruitment and the management of the salary cap. It starts like this:
1. Steve Price is not a coach either aspiring or talented young players want to play for. Will he really accelerate a young talented player’s career? It becomes difficult therefore to attract good young talent and more critical it becomes harder to keep your own home grown talent who are susceptible to approaches from clubs led by the likes of Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy etc.
2. Established superstars (Cronk or Thurston) would be dismissive of playing under such an inexperienced coach and simply will not sign.
3. We then acquire the Parramatta syndrome as a result. This means you have to pay well over the odds to attract mediocre to acceptable first graders like Justin Poore, Shane Shackleton and Chris Sandow. This seriously dilutes your salary cap.
4. And hence the downward spiral begins; and it can last for years. At our club this spiral could last for another 5-7 years.
The single most important position our cub is that of head coach. Yes we tried hard to attract Craig Bellamy. We need to do whatever it takes to attract the next best coach available; from anywhere in the world.
As a supporter I can accept the rebuilding phase if Steve Price comes out and declares that he is using 2013 as a base to a premiership by 2016 by committing to the following steps this year:
1. Playing Josh Drinkwater as half-back from Round 1. Manly backed a young Cherry-Evans in 2011 and South’s backed a young Adam Reynolds last year; so the precedent is strong.
2. Relieving Jamie Soward of all kicking responsibilities and telling him that his sole and only function is to run the football in broken field at large tiring forwards. If he continues to want to play 30 metres behind the advantage line to avoid contact then he needs to find another club.
3. Making a very tough decision on who will be our clubs next 10 year hooker. Is it Rein or is it King? Sorry but there is no use tying up salary cap on both of these talented kids. Make a choice.
4. Go to the market and sing a marquee centre. It is essential.
5. Determine what position Daniel Vidot is going to play. Is it in the back row (like the Tony Williams conversion) or is it in the centres?
6. Commit to ensuring that Fritzell, De Bellin and Stockwell play 12 games or more as starters this year to get them ready for seasons beyond this one.
7. Ensure Evander Cummins acquires some necessary game time in the first grade squad this year.
8. Injuries aside, ensure that Chase Stanley plays every game at right centre.
If Steve Price is brave and implements this type of strategy maybe, just maybe he night survive.
Rest assured however that playing Nathan Fien as half back, Matt Prior in the centres etc is a continued recipe for disaster!

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
coach goes well beyond our immediate failure on the football field this year. The[/B] long downward spiral can eventuate very quickly and can have long term and devastating !

:sarcasm: this year has not even started, how do you know we have failed???

Country Dragon

Juniors
I like Steve Price. He appears to be a good and decent young man. I do not however believe that he is yet mature enough or has sufficient experience to be a first grade coach. Let?s remember also that Steve Price did not appoint himself.
Our club has been down this route before; appointing a young and inexperienced coach in Nathan Brown with limited success. To venture down this route again so soon after the first failure is ludicrous and those responsible should be removed from office. Indeed if these office bearers were part of a public company they would have been gone at the end of last season.
The problem with having this young man as coach goes well beyond our immediate failure on the football field this year. The long downward spiral can eventuate very quickly and can have long term and devastating effects in terms of recruitment and the management of the salary cap. It starts like this:
1. Steve Price is not a coach either aspiring or talented young players want to play for. Will he really accelerate a young talented player?s career? It becomes difficult therefore to attract good young talent and more critical it becomes harder to keep your own home grown talent who are susceptible to approaches from clubs led by the likes of Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy etc.
2. Established superstars (Cronk or Thurston) would be dismissive of playing under such an inexperienced coach and simply will not sign.
3. We then acquire the Parramatta syndrome as a result. This means you have to pay well over the odds to attract mediocre to acceptable first graders like Justin Poore, Shane Shackleton and Chris Sandow. This seriously dilutes your salary cap.
4. And hence the downward spiral begins; and it can last for years. At our club this spiral could last for another 5-7 years.
The single most important position our cub is that of head coach. Yes we tried hard to attract Craig Bellamy. We need to do whatever it takes to attract the next best coach available; from anywhere in the world.
As a supporter I can accept the rebuilding phase if Steve Price comes out and declares that he is using 2013 as a base to a premiership by 2016 by committing to the following steps this year:
1. Playing Josh Drinkwater as half-back from Round 1. Manly backed a young Cherry-Evans in 2011 and South?s backed a young Adam Reynolds last year; so the precedent is strong.
2. Relieving Jamie Soward of all kicking responsibilities and telling him that his sole and only function is to run the football in broken field at large tiring forwards. If he continues to want to play 30 metres behind the advantage line to avoid contact then he needs to find another club.
3. Making a very tough decision on who will be our clubs next 10 year hooker. Is it Rein or is it King? Sorry but there is no use tying up salary cap on both of these talented kids. Make a choice.
5. Determine what position Daniel Vidot is going to play. Is it in the back row (like the Tony Williams conversion) or is it in the centres?
6. Commit to ensuring that Fritzell, De Bellin and Stockwell play 12 games or more as starters this year to get them ready for seasons beyond this one.
7. Ensure Evander Cummins acquires some necessary game time in the first grade squad this year.
If Steve Price is brave and implements this type of strategy maybe, just maybe he night survive.
Rest assured however that playing Nathan Fien as half back, Matt Prior in the centres etc is a continued recipe for disaster!
Jamie Soward has by far the best long kicking game in the competition, why you would want to take away his biggest strength is laughable.
But I do agree with most other points you have raised, except maybe that Vidot should even be in 1st grade at this stage given his defensive game.

grouch

First Grade
index.php

Review your life choices.

:sarcasm: this year has not even started, how do you know we have failed???

Agree 100%. I've never known a season like this one. In some people's minds (and in the media it seems) the 2013 season has already started, and we've already failed. May as well present us with the spoon right now.

Last time I checked, we don't play our 1st game until March 10, still 12 days away.

Rob Dragon's post may well turn out to be an inspired, insightful, and factual account of how things transpire.

But really, its all been covered in hundreds of other threads, over and over. Where were all the protests when Price was appointed in April 2011? There were few who thought it a bad appointment, probably because at that time our trophy cabinet was full.

There will be the inevitable cries of I told you so, but no-one can really say how we will go until this side has had time to gel, and 2 competition points are on the line each week.

karuah6

Juniors
I like Steve Price. He appears to be a good and decent young man. I do not however believe that he is yet mature enough or has sufficient experience to be a first grade coach. Let?s remember also that Steve Price did not appoint himself.
1. Steve Price is not a coach either aspiring or talented young players want to play for. Will he really accelerate a young talented player?s career? It becomes difficult therefore to attract good young talent and more critical it becomes harder to keep your own home grown talent who are susceptible to approaches from clubs led by the likes of Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy etc.
1. Playing Josh Drinkwater as half-back from Round 1. Manly backed a young Cherry-Evans in 2011 and South?s backed a young Adam Reynolds last year; so the precedent is strong.

Interesting. While I agree that everyone should have a say on the forum, could you please advise what expertise you have in relation to your above remarks.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
Interesting. While I agree that everyone should have a say on the forum, could you please advise what expertise you have in relation to your above remarks.

While I don't agree with a few things there, he shouldn't have to advise his "expertise" .. He is voicing his opinion as a fan!!

karuah6

Juniors
While I don't agree with a few things there, he shouldn't have to advise his "expertise" .. He is voicing his opinion as a fan!!

Point taken. I was just interested in his comments regarding that Price can not bring young player along.

Have a look at Morris, Nightingale etc. He has not done so bad.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
Point taken. I was just interested in his comments regarding that Price can not bring young player along.

Have a look at Morris, Nightingale etc. He has not done so bad.

It's not something I agree with either.... I don't think the price haters have given him enough of a chance...

Mind you if he fails to make some big calls soon and we go terrible that'll do me!!

TheRev

Coach
Price was always up against it, re-motivating older players post-2010, an incomplete roster & a dinosaur board, I dont blame him for that at all... but the way the season played out last year, the inability to make the big calls & see beyond the short-term, thats the stuff that devastated me, because I knew what it meant longterm for the club.

But no excuses this year for Price, he knows he either has to find some spirit in this roster, or he is done, so there is no point being conservative...

What's Up

Juniors
I agree with you Rob. I love the club and will cheer the boys this season. I would like to see hard decisions made about building for our future. I have never been a Soward fan and watched his game closely in the charity shield. In attack he walks down the middle of the field says nothing. Offers no direction to the young ones and stands there waiting to kick. His game plan is best suited for rugby. You don't see the good halves in the comp offering no verbal communication to their team. He needs to go. All that aside one factor can't be ignored is we are not attracting players. I would hate to see the club pay overs. Rob you hit the nail on the head there. I wish the team well this year and really hope we go well.

tumbidragon

First Grade
To be fair Johny, you have done the same thing a couple of times mate. We all do it at some point. But it's always good to be grounded by fellow members, to remind us that we are all Dragons born and bread, and have the right to an opinion whether positive or negative.
I tend to agree with the OP on a lot of the points he posted. But also am optimistic that we can avoid a potential catastrophe by building around our strengths i.e Juniors and brand and probably to a lesser extent our wonderful history (give my left nut to play in the Big Red V!). But to do this, I believe we do need forward thinkers in head office. Drain also has a great point in saying the fat lady has not even cleared her throat yet. But I do see the writing on the wall.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
At times I have asked someone to qualify their criticism by offering an alternative, but I don't think I have ever criticised anyone for not being an expert!

Saintsified

Bench
Roosters coach Trent is younger than Price and just got SBW, and Jennings, and Donnelly, and madge at souffs is a couple years older.... All ok to play under a young coach, Price being young has nothing to do with it.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Roosters coach Trent is younger than Price and just got SBW, and Jennings, and Donnelly, and madge at souffs is a couple years older.... All ok to play under a young coach, Price being young has nothing to do with it.
I think uncle Nicks deep pockets were more of an attraction for $BW :D

Latest posts