What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The elephant.. errr.. bird in the room

coolumsharkie

Referee
I feel he will have a very short NRL career. That arthritic thing he has can't be great for him getting bashed about every week.

Card Shark

Immortal
Well he needed a week off before the finals.

Probably too late for that now.

I wouldn't be making excuses & telling everyone where to target!

Win week 1 of finals & they all freshen up.

shaggs

Coach
Telegraph (yeah, I know...) has an article on J. Bird. According to the article, he is well aware of his post-Origin form slump, but also says that is playing injured (nerve pain in both shoulders (uh-oh...))...

Hope he comes good, for his sake, as well.
Explains the grabbiness of his defenc lately. Attitude explains all the other shit

shaggs

Coach
There was a media call yesterday and these are direct quotes from Bird. A few grabs of this interview was on the various news shows last night. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned then.
If that's the case, then it's good he is acknowledging there has been issues. As I think you said, the coaches are aware and been dealing with it.

Strange though if he has been struggling with soreness and/or minor injury for 12-15 weeks they didn't give him a week off to freshen up, especially with his under control condition.

Frenzy.

Immortal
CRONULLA sensation Jack Bird has revealed how he is struggling with confidence and two battered shoulders on the eve of the club’s biggest game of the season.

Bird was brutally honest when assessing his post-Origin form, with the young centre failing to make an offload in his past seven matches, while also missing an average of 3.7 tackles and making just nine tackle busts.

The 21-year-old’s frustrations boiled over when he snapped at experienced Sharks teammate James Maloney last Monday week, with his on-field blow-up impossible to miss during Fox Sports’ live coverage.

Bird is confident he can burst back to life against Melbourne on Saturday night in a blockbuster game that will determine the minor premiership.

d90aee7f41982584c2f131c4f7dca2d9

Jack Bird at Sharks training on Tuesday.
But the gifted centre said his shoulders had caused him plenty of grief since the round nine clash against Brisbane.

He recently underwent neck scans to try to pinpoint the problem, with Bird managing the double injury with a mixture of light weights, anti-inflammatories and physio.

If the Shire club are to finally break their premiership drought, they will need Bird firing out wide on the right with Valentine Holmes.

“I’m not making excuses, but I do have two sore shoulders, and my rotator cuff keeps pinching the nerves in both of them,’’ Bird said on Tuesday.

“That plays with my confidence a bit with running and tackling.

“I fell on my left shoulder against the Broncos, then the next run (Matt) Gillett got me in the neck and it pinched my right nerve. Ever since I’ve been falling on them at training.

“I can’t really shoulder press, so I’ve been doing light weights and then trying to get heavier.

“It’s been playing on my mind.

“I’m missing tackles and not making as many metres or runs or tackle breaks, I think that comes down to confidence.

“Hopefully this week is where it starts. We’re coming up against a strong outfit in the Storm, we’re heading into the finals, and it’s the best time to come out of my shell and play my best footy again.

“I’m down on confidence and upset with the way I’ve been playing lately. I don’t need anybody to tell me that because I know it personally. I think if people tell me that it gets back in my head.

49c71de110849d0c8f0986cf942e06a9

Jack Bird in State of Origin action for NSW.
“I know what I need to do and trying to get back to it now.’’

Bird was crowned last year’s NRL rookie of the year, and rewarded this year with a State of Origin call-up.

The sight of Bird in full flight has troubled plenty of teams, especially with Holmes in support.

Bird said his defensive lapses had only put Holmes under more pressure.

Saturday night is sure to be spiteful with plenty of niggle and shoving around the ruck a feature in recent clashes.

As for future on-field meltdowns, Bird said he would try to ‘’cool down a bit and carry myself in a different manner’’, and quipped: “People like James (Maloney) make me angry.’’

coolumsharkie

Referee
damn it why didnt I scroll down, just gave the merkins a free click. BTW if anyone doesn't know already, if you want to read an article just google the headline and you can see it without subscription.

Frenzy.

Immortal
If that's the case, then it's good he is acknowledging there has been issues. As I think you said, the coaches are aware and been dealing with it.

Strange though if he has been struggling with soreness and/or minor injury for 12-15 weeks they didn't give him a week off to freshen up, especially with his under control condition.

Very strange.

Frenzy.

Immortal

That's how I got it LOL

Inferno

Coach
I don't buy the injuries are that bad. If they were he would have been rested like every single other player at the club has been this year when they've had the slightest niggle.

Madsharkie

First Grade
Seems silly to me that he's come out and highlighted his form slump and defensive issues while telling the comp he's injured. Why highlight that stuff? So more teams run at his shoulders? Bloody kids

millersnose

Post Whore
I don't buy the injuries are that bad. If they were he would have been rested like every single other player at the club has been this year when they've had the slightest niggle.
Fishy as heck
I recon he examined the fantasy points and decided to put out a defence before frenzy spotted them

Fishy as heck
I recon he examined the fantasy points and decided to put out a defence before frenzy spotted them
i reckon you dont know shit
i also reckon you think youre the self appointed leader of the forum mean girls crowd
what a sad f**k
got your menopause meds yet?
i must have gotten to you along the line because you seem fixated with me lol

ruffle a few feathers amongst the forum "stayers" and they lose their shit lol

sorry point me to the fine print which says you own the joint

Latest posts