What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The end of the road for 2013?

Mr Red

First Grade
What control did Price have over the deplorable refereeing on Sat night?
The Travis Robinson try should have been pulled up. Then Robinson being allowed to play on, run 10 metres, then put into touch, yet they get the feed. The Vidot try decision being overturned, then missing the late tackle on Fien in the leadup?
That's just off the top of my head...
Yes, Price should be ashamed. - even for the 4 wins we've had. Hang your head Steve.

although i agree with your points above, in all honesty i dont think the ref caused us to lose the match.. we were dead set woeful, and lacked any intensity or aggression..
the panthers forwards mauled us, and they had enough attacking plays and structure to score enough points to beat us - at home!

even the players were embarrassed by their efforts, and if that isnt enough for the coaching staff to make some changes then i give up.
there are players in their comfort zones at the moment thinking they just have to turn up to be guaranteed a starting place, and thats not acceptable.
Bronson Harrison in the starting line up, what a joke... his place IMO was under scrutiny coming off the bench - we have better options in the 17. his work rate and effectiveness havent been up to first grade, but for some reason Price rewards this with a starting spot???

Old_Timer

Juniors
So best coach wins every time. Players are robots. That word 'execution' I continuously hear players use is a furphy?

Drain lets face it, average first grade footy players are not intellectual giants. Good, even great footy players, on the whole, do not make outstanding coaches. Coaches on the other hand do require slightly more grey matter than players in order to devise the said instructions. It is very much akin to a chess game wherein defence strategy becomes well know, and attack therefore varied as a consequence.

So the comparison of players with robots is not all that wide of the mark. Robots simply carry out pre programmed instructions, the coach's instructions. But of course even the most basic computer programmes do have string variables, if and then instruction sets. Thus a shrewd coach will program his robots each time they go into battle with a game plan. As a consequence in elite footy teams, you see a well drilled cohesive team with each player knowing both his and the roles of adjacent fellow team players. No strain on the synapses needed. Everyone knows their job and performs it to a tee.

In teams not so well coached you will see the converse of the above. Now which camp are we in? :)

Now which camp are we in? :)

I'll leave camps to the boy scouts.
I don't buy into it being simply the coach, as many want to.
It's not a matter of black and white, good coach/bad coach.
These guys are 7 day a week professional footballers, not the ones that were part time a couple of days a week and rode on the back of the garbo truck for a living back in the day.
They are paid to buy into the coaches plan each and every week.

karuah6

Juniors
Bit like ten pin bowling, hey Elias. :crazy:

Hi OT. Without putting down any official of the club, would you like to advise us all the players names you think should represent our club at present & their positions including the bench.
I am not having a go at you, but would like to see your recommendations.

Old_Timer

Juniors
Chase Stanley has really impressed me the last few games, looks to be regaining his mojo.
Fien is playing very direct and steering the side around the paddock nicely as well, good signs there for when it 'clicks'. We are close, really close to putting some scores on teams. Price almost has the squad he wants, look out when he does.

gypsy, I feel uplifted after reading your sublime words. Do we have a timeframe?

BennyV

Referee
although i agree with your points above, in all honesty i dont think the ref caused us to lose the match.. we were dead set woeful, and lacked any intensity or aggression..
the panthers forwards mauled us, and they had enough attacking plays and structure to score enough points to beat us - at home!

even the players were embarrassed by their efforts, and if that isnt enough for the coaching staff to make some changes then i give up.
there are players in their comfort zones at the moment thinking they just have to turn up to be guaranteed a starting place, and thats not acceptable.
Bronson Harrison in the starting line up, what a joke... his place IMO was under scrutiny coming off the bench - we have better options in the 17. his work rate and effectiveness havent been up to first grade, but for some reason Price rewards this with a starting spot???

You've made a few good points but I can't agree with your view on Harrison - yes, he was ineffective coming off the bench, but placing him at right second row is the right thing (although Price should have been able to see it several weeks earlier) - he is a wide runner, he hits holes well, can produce a decent offload and is great defensively out wide. Its no surprise that the last 2 games where he's played on the right edge have been his strongest. He looked terrible coming off the bench because he didnt know his role in the team - on the right edge, he does, and he plays well.

Old_Timer

Juniors
....i also found this quote from Vidot quite concering: " they (Penrith) came out and started quite aggresively, which took us all by surprise..."..

Well obviously Coach Price thought it an unlikely event, thus the troops were ill prepared.

TheRev

First Grade
And therein lies the problem Drain. What plan? :eek:
There is a gameplan though, the players refuse to follow it, and that to me shows that they are not buying in to what Price wants to do.. the exact reason I dont know but if he hasnt got the balls to do anything about it, it falls back on him, Price has to get them playing his game or he needs to get out of the way and let someone else coach.

Ppl cant keep blaming the roster blindly, yes there are some weeks where we tried hard and just didnt have the talent, but were perfectly capable of playing far better football against these bottom sides, and its not happening.

Old_Timer

Juniors
Hi OT. Without putting down any official of the club, would you like to advise us all the players names you think should represent our club at present & their positions including the bench.
I am not having a go at you, but would like to see your recommendations.

Nice to see you back again Karuah. Trust you are keeping well.

Karuah, I have no problem with our troops, well none that I would seek to publicly admonish. Most members on here know where my critique is. Initials SP may spring to mind.:oops:

Mr Red

First Grade
You've made a few good points but I can't agree with your view on Harrison - yes, he was ineffective coming off the bench, but placing him at right second row is the right thing (although Price should have been able to see it several weeks earlier) - he is a wide runner, he hits holes well, can produce a decent offload and is great defensively out wide. Its no surprise that the last 2 games where he's played on the right edge have been his strongest. He looked terrible coming off the bench because he didnt know his role in the team - on the right edge, he does, and he plays well.

i think harrison is doing a lot in defence, but goes missing in action in attack (perhaps because he is tired from tackling??)
either way i dont see his workrate is good enough for a back rower.

on a side note he did run a good line for the no try .... if Dan Hunt had half a brain he would have continued his dummy run right through the defensive line, and not stopped right in the middle of it..
if Hunt had kept running through it would have been a try no problem...
Hunt = clueless..

Old_Timer

Juniors
:lol:
The whole of Dragons forum world goes into overdrive after a loss like that one.
We're all entitled to be a bit frazzled what with all the finger pointing going on...

It goes in stages Drain. First, shock/humiliation/disbelief. Second, denial. Third, reality setting in. Forth, betrayal. Fifth, outrage. Sixth, feeding frenzy. Seventh, kiss and make up. Eight, lay down, turn me over, and do it again.

Latest posts