What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Euro 2008 thread

Noa

First Grade
Woo-hoo, go the Mighty Oranje.

For anyone whos a Dutch Supporter like me, could this be the tournament when we actually live up to the expectations.

I suffered through Italia 90, Euro 92, USA 94, France 98 and the last Euro's so hopefully this is our time.......nah probably not but lets enjoy the ride.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well Italy can thank Buffon for that draw, very very lucky

the freaky deaky Dutch looked pretty hot, gee they play well as a team

Noa

First Grade
20 years too since the Dutch won the Euro's. Beat the Russians in the final with the GREAT Marco Van Basten scoring the best goal ever scored in a major final.

Kiwishark

Juniors
Geez we are being treated to some entertaining football so far. There have been more entertaining games than not, and a lot of goals which is good to see from a spectator´s perspective. With some good quality too.

The Dutch are on fire, 7 goals in 2 matches. And their opponents aren´t slouches, although they haven´t played very well. Will wait and see if they can do it. They have the cattle but the mental side is unknown, 20 long years. Same boat as Spain and Portugal to an extent.

Once the first round is over, is it the winner of Group A play the second of Group B? Is that how the groups are paired?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
They won't. Holland will throw the game against Romania to ensure this doesn't happen.

Italy will beat France but it won't be enough.

Regardless of whether Italy make it through or not, I've throughly enjoyed this tournament. Its been the best I can remember, at least since 94. 1990 was pretty boring, Euro 92 was sh1t, WC94 was great, Euro 96 crap, WC98 reasonable, Euro 2000 quite good, WC02 utter sh1t (worst ever, actually), Euro 04 was crap, and WC06 was ok.

So far, this tournament apart from the odd game has been brilliant. It's great to watch.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
What's funny?

As if you wouldn't? Think about it - would they rather potentially play Italy/France in the latter stages, or Romania?

An easy decision. They've earnt the right to do it and they will, good luck to them. They deserve it, played very well and great to watch.

Red Bear

Referee
Onya Netherlands

Mates were saying before this how unbelievably good France's squad was, i was saying they arent great they wont make it past group stage and they rubbished me. Im looking good now:)

eastsrule

Bench
What's funny?

As if you wouldn't? Think about it - would they rather potentially play Italy/France in the latter stages, or Romania?

An easy decision. They've earnt the right to do it and they will, good luck to them. They deserve it, played very well and great to watch.

Whilst it could be considered unsportsmanlike by some (but not me), they have earned the right to do it as you said.

Italy and France were in control of their own destiny before during losing to the Netherlands and drawing with Romania.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
It's not unsportsmanlike, just looking after your best interests. Though if it was Italy doing it, the world would be up in arms of course.

QFs will look like this IMO:

Portugal vs Germany
Czech Republic vs Croatia
Holland vs Sweden
Romania vs Spain

Panther_Daz

Staff member
the freaky deaky Dutch looked pretty hot, gee they play well as a team

Along time since they have done that but finally they are!

As for the Romania game. In the two qualification matches Romania a slight edge over the Dutch. 1 win and a draw.

This Euro sh*ts on the last one. Hope Greece gets knocked out tonight. Can't believe the are ranked higher than The Netherlands...

fish eel

Immortal
The Dutch were in a league of their own going forward. They know eachother inside out, apart from one or two occasions off the break in that second half, but the wingers would always be there for the inside men, and the inside men would always be there for the wingers. And van Basten just completely out coached them. I'm sure Fozzie would have picked up on this in the wrap-up, but Sagnol looked the most dangerous player for the French (after Ribery) when getting forward. So van Basten brings on Robben, and before you know it the Dutch have it the lead...Robben with gobs of space, Sagnol caught forward. Therefore Sagnol must sit back more, meaning more focus in attack up the middle of the park, yet Domenech was obviously in no mood to take off Toulalan or Makelele for Nasri (which was the obvious change!) in fear of being struck by the Dutch pace again.

Brilliant stuff, hope they go on to win this thing!

The question surrounding them know is do they lose to the Romanians on purpose?

France and Italy will be going at eachother, could lead to a draw. Therefore Romania could afford a loss, as long as it's not by 3 goals or more.

I honestly think that while the Romanians would outlast the Dutch if the Oranje play at full strength, I'm certain the Dutch would rather go in with them. They're also guaranteed first spot, so losing wouldn't be a problem for them. Yet wouldn't cause an uproar is they just 'lay down'...

Can't wait!

Yeah, the two Bayern players were the best on pitch for France

Sagnol did get caught forward, but why? because he was forced to, for most of the game, the worlds best winger, Ribery, was playing in a much more central playmaking role, forcing Sagnol to be the man wide on the right. Ribery is at his best tearing down either the left or right taking on men - rather than being crowded centrally.

France are close to the worse managed side at the tournament IMO.

fish eel

Immortal
I doubt Holland will 'throw' the match, they'll rest a few players and mentally probably wont be as up for it as Romania.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
My only hope is that Holland's reserves will be out to impress - they do have some quality on the bench with Huntenaar etc. I still think Romania will win, though they are without two players, one injured and the other suspended from this morning. That could hurt them.

As for Italy-France, if Italy create as many chances as they have been, its only a matter of time before they start scoring some goals. Antonio Cassano simply has to start and play a full 90 minutes. He's the most dangerous player on the pitch whenever he comes off the bench and adds plenty of spark.

Noa

First Grade
Yeah, the two Bayern players were the best on pitch for France

Sagnol did get caught forward, but why? because he was forced to, for most of the game, the worlds best winger, Ribery, was playing in a much more central playmaking role, forcing Sagnol to be the man wide on the right. Ribery is at his best tearing down either the left or right taking on men - rather than being crowded centrally.

France are close to the worse managed side at the tournament IMO.

Worst thing for France was making the last World Cup final. Meant Domenech kept his job.

Tigana would be a good choice as the next boss. Help to restore that French flair which has been missing.