What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Euro 2008 thread

Mad Dogg

Juniors
No, particuarly at club level, Ronaldo plays too centrally to be considered a winger nowdays, often he is more of a striker nowdays IMO.
He does cut into the centre more than most wingers, but he's still more of a winger than a striker. We played him as a striker a couple of times for tactical reasons (against Barca) or when Rooney or Tevez were injured, but hopefully we'll sign another striker so that won't happen anymore. He's far better cutting in off the wing, running at players. Basically the same position as Messi plays for Barca.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
hes gone mate....

the fact hes held out for this long doesnt bode well...

Doubt it, I'll be completely shocked if he goes.

He's a typical English footballer, too comfortable to leave the country and challenge himself on the continent.

He hasn't got the balls to go to Spain or Italy, to be frank.

fish eel

Immortal
He does cut into the centre more than most wingers, but he's still more of a winger than a striker. We played him as a striker a couple of times for tactical reasons (against Barca) or when Rooney or Tevez were injured, but hopefully we'll sign another striker so that won't happen anymore. He's far better cutting in off the wing, running at players. Basically the same position as Messi plays for Barca.

I wouldnt call Messi a winger either ;-)

2 brilliant players who spend time all over the pitch

fish eel

Immortal
LOL...Petr Cech

And then Nihat!

2 in what, 2 minutes at the death to put the Czechs and front of Turkey

And now Turkey's keeper given a red!!!

Abz

Juniors
What's with these effing upsets?

Turkey 3-2 over Czech WTF??
Switzerland def. Portugal 2-0 ???

Man... I hope no one flukes it this year like Greece did in 04!

Noa

First Grade
Is Ronaldo not a winger? Granted he's just as good playing alittle more central than Ribery but he can be played as an out and out winger. In which case he is obviosuy better than Ribery. Who is still a damn good player in his own right.

As is the freak that is Arjen Robben when he's fully fit. He's always been awesome for the Dutch.

For what its worth i dont think the Dutch will throw their game against Romania. Why would they want to hault their own momentum like that? They wont want to go in to a Quarter Final on the back of a loss. And as has been pointed out the back-up players will want to impress.

Also i fail to see how they will be focused on knocking out Italy and France so as to avoid them in the knock-outs when they just pasted both of them.

Confidence is sky high for them. And they will want to keep the momentum going.

Looked to be on his way to be the best 3-5 players in the world a few years ago. Chelsea can largely thank him for there first EPL title. Hopefully he can put his injury woes behind him.

And I agree that Holland wont throw there last game, they might lose it 3-2, but they wont be trying to manipulate the draw, never been theyre style. Theyd cop a hammering in the press back home if they did that.

I wouldnt be suprised if they win by at least 3 goals again.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
What the hell happened!

2-0 Czech's i thought i can go to work now. Then i checked the score on the train to see a 3-2 victory to Turkey. Train went past Auburn and there were Turkish fans everywhere.

Looking forward to seeing the highlights...

Panther_Daz

Staff member
And I agree that Holland wont throw there last game, they might lose it 3-2, but they wont be trying to manipulate the draw, never been theyre style. Theyd cop a hammering in the press back home if they did that.

I wouldnt be suprised if they win by at least 3 goals again.

I don't think they will throw the game either. But i do think that Van Nistlerooy will be rested to give Huntelaar some game time. Huntelaar is probably as good anyway.

Robben and Van Persie will play for some more match practice. VDV and Sneijder won't play the full game IMO. Heitinga will get a run in defence probably as well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Portugal rested a few of their big names

Abz

Juniors
What the hell happened!

2-0 Czech's i thought i can go to work now. Then i checked the score on the train to see a 3-2 victory to Turkey. Train went past Auburn and there were Turkish fans everywhere.

Huh? I thought Auburn was Iraqi central. I was under the impression Lidcombe was where the Turks were?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I've got a few Turk mates and they always talk about going to Auburn to visit family so i dont know...Auburn and Lidcombe are neighbouring suburbs anyway.

fish eel

Immortal

I dont think it was an upset, either game.

The portugese rested a few players, and the Czechs havent been impressive. They were the second best side in their match against the Swiss, and outplayed by Portugal.

What the hell happened!

Turkey got a goal back with about 15 minutes to goal.

Then, pretty much two goals in the final tow minutes before injury time put Turket in front. The first one came from a dreadful Petr Cech mistake, dropping the ball in the box from a cross and allowing a virtual tap in, the second, Czechs just went missing at the back and a nice finish from Nihat who was unmarked. 3-2 see ya Czech.