What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Euro 2008 thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I believe this is the best tournament I have seen.

Do other people agree?

It has been competitive, entertaining, controversial, passionate, emotional. It really is what sport is about.

yep, certainly its up there

langpark

First Grade
My old man said during the group stage that it's dangerous to rest players, coz it upsets their momentum, and so far that seems to be the trend, every team who's rested players has been eliminated, lets see if Spain continue the trend. We see it happen in the NRL finals each year too, with the team that gets the bye. They shouldn't do it, it's only six games assuming they get to the final.

My old man said during the group stage that it's dangerous to rest players, coz it upsets their momentum, and so far that seems to be the trend, every team who's rested players has been eliminated, lets see if Spain continue the trend. We see it happen in the NRL finals each year too, with the team that gets the bye. They shouldn't do it, it's only six games assuming they get to the final.

You would be stupid not to rest players if u have the opportunity, especially this tournment, since unlike previous tournaments, yellow cards actually carry into the knockout stages and are wiped out only after the quarters to minimise chances of suspension for the final.

langpark

First Grade
That's not the reason most of them were rested. Last time I checked, guys like Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Torres etc don't have disciplinary problems.

your the idiot. If you were spanish and could understand marca.com, you'd realise it was one of the reasons you f**kwit. Never before have yellow cards carried over into the knockout phase you lollipoper. Oh and keep supporting Cronulla, they will never win a comp!

langpark

First Grade
Cronulla? That's news to me.

Listen, you're making out the yellow card thing is the reason why everyone was rested. 9 were rested in Spain v Greece, were all 9 of them on yellows?

Cronulla? That's news to me.

Listen, you're making out the yellow card thing is the reason why everyone was rested. 9 were rested in Spain v Greece, were all 9 of them on yellows?

Listen, i see your point, but 3 did pick up yellows against greece, had they been some of our starters, they then face the posibility of being booked in quarters and missing semi. Wouldnt it make sense to, if you had the option, to take away the risk of potentially missing some influential players for the semi or beyond, of course if they make it that far. I see your point as they should just play whats in front of them and not look ahead that far. Anyway f**k it.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Fully deserved Spain, no arguments here. Well done.

Donadoni had one tactic and that was hit it long to Toni, who was mediocre in this tournament. Ridiculous coaching. And he doesn't have an excuse. We have plenty of players capable of playing a passing game e.g Aquilani, De Rossi (watch these two at Roma and see how much they get forward) Cassano etc. etc. but they were all stifled by his tactics.

Trapattoni tried this tactic when we had Vieri who was a much better striker than Toni and it failed then (Euro 04), why would it work now?

skeepe

Immortal
Good to see Luca Toni once again bottle it on the big stage. The guy is an absolute myth who, as I have stated previously, has never been tested in the big leagues. Whenever he does get tested, he can't handle the pressure.

Anyway, glad to see the filthy cheats out.