What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Euro 2008 thread

fish eel

Immortal
Lahm was terrible defensively this morning. But great in attack.

He has had guys coming at him all tournament because Podolski is playing wide on the left. Podolski does no defending whatsoever which just places hige pressure on Lahm defensively, particuarly when you consider the way Germany play demands Lahm get forward.

His goal though was superb.

Lehman had a shocker. How did he get beat at his near post for Turkey's second?

And what about Setanta's coverage dropping out? FMD!

fish eel

Immortal
the best part of the coverage this morning was after the second picture drop out, when it came back on, it still had the bbc 'live 5' radio commentary. They were actually OK, better than John Motson

The worse: missing Klose' goal.

Last edited:

fish eel

Immortal
a-english-lahm-1214430062.jpg

shiznit

Coach
Our feed cut out too... and i think we use the host broadcaster...

maybe it was a world wide thing... will check...

shiznit

Coach
looks like it was worldwide...

pretty poor for a competition of this stature... youd think they would have a backup in place...

from:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/soccer/Storm_knocks_out_Euro_2008_TV_feed_worldwide.html

Storm knocks out Euro 2008 TV feed worldwide

The Associated Press
VIENNA, Austria (AP) — The end of Germany's 3-2 win over Turkey in the European Championship semifinal was a thriller that few outside the stadium saw.

A violent thunderstorm swept across Austria to knock out telecommunications for most of the second half of the gripping match. Television pictures reappeared briefly, but then vanished altogether for most of the last 15 minutes, when three goals were scored to give Germany a place in Sunday's final. Internet coverage of the game also was interrupted.

Spectators at the match in the Swiss city of Basel remained dry and unperturbed throughout. Only on Swiss TV and Al-Jazeera was the entire game available.

The problems arose in neighboring Austria, where lightning, thunder and torrential rain caused a power outage at the International Broadcast Center in Vienna, from which the telecast is beamed all over the world. ESPN cut back to its studio analysts during the outages and showed video of spectators watching at a FanFest in Basel.

UEFA officials said the signal initially went down for six minutes in the 76th minute of the match, then "there were a couple of more interruptions," said Wolfgang Eichler, a UEFA spokesman.

Officials also shut down Vienna's main Euro 2008 fan zone and evacuated fans after the thunderstorm lashed the Austrian capital. Authorities said they gave the order to close the fan zone after the storm unleashed winds exceeding 60 mph.

Police say two fans were injured after being trampled in the evacuation, which was carried out during the match.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Germany played like a bag of sh*t! Spain or Russia will own ze Germans in the final. The German defence is comedy capers and Lehman is past it. Torres + Villa would have a field day if they defend like that in the final, should Spain progress.

fish eel

Immortal
Germany played like a bag of sh*t! Spain or Russia will own ze Germans in the final. The German defence is comedy capers and Lehman is past it. Torres + Villa would have a field day if they defend like that in the final, should Spain progress.

same thing was said before germany knocked out portugal :lol:

Tommy Smith

Referee
same thing was said before germany knocked out portugal :lol:
Portugal though were comical against set pieces. Lehman is bad...turns out Ricardo was worse.

Casillas and the Spanish defense wont have the same problems. The Russians however got shredded from set peices against the Dutch as well.

fish eel

Immortal
Portugal though were comical against set pieces. Lehman is bad...turns out Ricardo was worse.

Casillas and the Spanish defense wont have the same problems. The Russians however got shredded from set peices against the Dutch as well.

What does the portugese defence have to do with the point panther made about germany's defence? :?

The claim was Germany would be torn apart by the Spain. It was also said they'd be torn apart by the slick attacking Portugese side. That never happened. Far from it, Cristiano Ronaldo was anonymous for much of the match after setting up the opener, and Portugal didnt really threaten - they were restricted to bombing Lehman's goal from outside the box.

Germany didnt play well this morning, no doubt. But if there is one side that can lift, it's them. Turkey was always going to be a difficult match for them. I dont know why, but they didnt impose themselves like they normally do. I think they expected Turkey to sit back more.

They'll be more at home playing a side like Spain that will come at them.

Tommy Smith

Referee
What does the portugese defence have to do with the point panther made about germany's defence? :?

The claim was Germany would be torn apart by the Spain. It was also said they'd be torn apart by the slick attacking Portugese side. That never happened. Far from it, Cristiano Ronaldo was anonymous for much of the match after setting up the opener, and Portugal didnt really threaten - they were restricted to bombing Lehman's goal from outside the box.

Germany didnt play well this morning, no doubt. But if there is one side that can lift, it's them. Turkey was always going to be a difficult match for them. I dont know why, but they didnt impose themselves like they normally do. I think they expected Turkey to sit back more.

They'll be more at home playing a side like Spain that will come at them.
Obviously i was speaking in general terms. As in Germany were expected to get knocked out by Portugal...end of. But i was just pointing out that the reason they beat Portugal was because they are comical against set pieces. Same can't be said for Spain.

fish eel

Immortal
Obviously i was speaking in general terms. As in Germany were expected to get knocked out by Portugal...end of.

Not really, they were beaten by Croatia and limped home against Austria. Many thought they were gone and not contenders.

But i was just pointing out that the reason they beat Portugal was because they are comical against set pieces. Same can't be said for Spain.

I dont agree with that either. Germany bossed that game, were the better side and took their chances.

If the put in an effort like they did this morning, they'll get beat. But if they go in with the same mindset they had against the portugese, they'll impose themselves on theor opposition and be difficult to beat.

weasel

First Grade
Comparing the Portuguese with the Spanish seems like a natural comparison but they're actually quite different sides. One plays with a lot of width and one up front, the other a packed midfield and two forwards. I don't see how beating the former guarantees you success against the latter.

weasel

First Grade
Anyway, we shouldn't go making assumptions. The Germans could well be facing the Russians.

Latest posts