What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Euro 2008 thread

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Yeah that's ridiculous, however France still have the magic of Henry, Gallas and Vieira. :D

Samir Nasri who plays for Marseille is meant to be joining Arsenal next season, so he will do awsome

Flams will be sh*t as always ;-)

fish eel

Immortal
No the won't. Germany will.

Germany v France final imo :D

The Germans arent in the best of shape.

There's doubt over their goalkeeping position.

Key defender Metzelder was injured much of last year.

In the mid field, Schweinsteiger had a poor season, Frings is not long back from a long term injury, Bernd Schneider - age appears to be catching up with him while upfront Klose went off the boil and Podolski had an average season.Alot will rest on Mario Gomez.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I've seen Nasri play a few times and while he's a handy player, he's got a long way to go and IMO is a tad overrated. I've heard comparisons to Zidane, FFS.

If he does go to Arsenal, stepping up from a low quality league like Ligue 1 to the EPL is no easy task. Will be a huge test.

Abz

Juniors
France will come close to topping their group IMO. I think Italy might come second.

weasel

First Grade
Convocados Espanoles ftr:
ico_marcado.gif

Nombre
Equipo
Posición
Más Info.
Iker CASILLAS
Real Madrid C.F.
Portero
ficha completa
Carles PUYOL

F.C. Barcelona
Defensa
ficha completa
XAVI Hernández
F.C. Barcelona
Centrocampista
ficha completa
Fernando TORRES
Liverpool
Delantero
ficha completa
Xabi ALONSO
Liverpool F.C.
Centrocampista
ficha completa
Carlos MARCHENA
Valencia F.C.
Defensa
ficha completa
Sergio RAMOS
Real Madrid C.F.
Defensa
ficha completa
David VILLA
Valencia F.C.
Delantero
ficha completa
CESC Fábregas
Arsenal
Centrocampista
ficha completa
Juan Gutierrez "JUANITO"
Real Betis
Defensa
ficha completa
Andrés INIESTA
F.C. Barcelona
Centrocampista
ficha completa
Joan CAPDEVILA
Villarreal C.F.
Defensa
ficha completa
David Jiménez SILVA
Valencia F.C.
Delantero
ficha completa
José Manuel REINA
Liverpool F.C.
Portero
ficha completa
Marcos SENNA
Villarreal C.F.
Centrocampista
ficha completa
Raúl ALBIOL
Valencia F.C.
Defensa
ficha completa
Daniel Glez. GÜIZA
R.C.D. Mallorca
Delantero
ficha completa
Álvaro ARBELOA
Liverpool F.C.
Defensa
ficha completa
Andrés PALOP
Sevilla F.C.
Portero
ficha completa
Fernando NAVARRO
R.C.D. Mallorca
Defensa
ficha completa
Rubén DE LA RED
Getafe C.F.
Centrocampista
ficha completa
Santiago CAZORLA
Villarreal C.F.
Delantero
ficha completa
SERGIO García
Zaragoza
Delantero
ficha completa

fish eel

Immortal
thats a strong squad weasal, how do you think they'll go?

they have to win one sometime.....

weasel

First Grade
Interesting team.

Outstanding in the centre of the field, and every other team in the competition would love to have a guy coming off a 27 goal season as their third choice forward. But, not much penetration out wide, and there isn't much depth in the centre of defense.

They're probably only gonna play one up front, and Torres and Villa will both get their opportunities during the group stage. I hope De La Red and Cazorla both get opportunities during the tournament. This team should really sweep through the group stage, especially if they revive the form they had towards the end of qualifying. After that, it's hard to say how far they'll go.

weasel

First Grade
Personally, I'm disappointed that Joaquin isn't in the squad, but Aragones has moved away from the classic spanish model of wing play. Silva and Cazorla are the closest you'll get to proper wingers in the team. Although Ramos and Capdevila will probably play as attacking wing backs.

fish eel

Immortal
Interesting team.

Outstanding in the centre of the field, and every other team in the competition would love to have a guy coming off a 27 goal season as their third choice forward. But, not much penetration out wide, and there isn't much depth in the centre of defense.

They're probably only gonna play one up front, and Torres and Villa will both get their opportunities during the group stage. I hope De La Red and Cazorla both get opportunities during the tournament. This team should really sweep through the group stage, especially if they revive the form they had towards the end of qualifying. After that, it's hard to say how far they'll go.

Clearly spoilt for choice and every nation would be envious of that depth in the centre

Up front, the only striker who will go into the tournament on the back of a season close to Torres is Luca Toni.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Italy's provisional Euro 2008 squad: (one to be omitted)

Goalkeepers:
Gigi Buffon (Juventus), Marco Amelia (Livorno), Morgan De Sanctis (Sevilla)

Defenders:
Christian Panucci (Roma), Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Marco Materazzi (Inter), Gianluca Zambrotta (Barcelona), Andrea Barzagli (Palermo), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Fabio Grosso (Lyon)

Midfielders:
Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Andrea Pirlo (Milan), Gennaro Gattuso (Milan), Massimo Ambrosini (Milan), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Simone Perrotta (Roma), Alberto Aquilani (Roma), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina)

Strikers:
Luca Toni (Bayern Munich), Antonio Di Natale (Udinese), Fabio Quagliarella (Udinese), Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus), Marco Borriello (Genoa), Antonio Cassano (Sampdoria)

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Strong squad. Cassano's selection is great to see.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Montolivo is likely the player to miss out.[/FONT]

hell yes! Del Piero and Cassano :) ive jumped back on the italy bandwagon and im liking my choice.

langpark

First Grade
hell yes! Del Piero and Cassano :) ive jumped back on the italy bandwagon and im liking my choice.
I'm glad those two made it, but watta f**king disgrace Inzaghi was left out, I don't care how old he is his goal tally speaks for itself.

Wish Arteta had gotten chosen for Spain too :(

Anyways, go Greece!

fish eel

Immortal
Germany's squad announced - I've bolded who I see as their best eleven

Goalkeepers: Jens Lehmann (Arsenal), Robert Enke (Hanover 96), Rene Adler (Bayer Leverkusen)

Defenders: Christoph Metzelder (Real Madrid), Per Mertesacker (Werder Bremen), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Arne Friedrich (Hertha Berlin), Marcell Jansen (Bayern Munich), Clemens Fritz (Werder Bremen), Heiko Westermann (Schalke 04)

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Chelsea), Thomas Hitzlsperger (VfB Stuttgart), Simon Rolfes (Bayer Leverkusen), Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Piotr Trochowski (Hamburg SV), Tim Borowski (Werder Bremen), David Odonkor (Real Betis)

Forwards: Miroslav Klose (Bayern Munich), Lukas Podolski (Bayern Munich), Mario Gomez (VfB Stuttgart), Kevin Kuranyi (Schalke 04), Oliver Neuville (Borussia Moenchengladbach)

Ridders

Coach
keeper for Germany will be interesting, Germany's draw with Belarus may lead them to go with Enke, altough to be fair to Jens, the defending in the friendly was terrible. Hopefully that game by Lahm was only a one off or else Germany will have issues at back.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Dutch Squad:

Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax Amsterdam), Henk Timmer (Feyenoord)

Defenders: Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa), Tim de Cler (Feyenoord), John Heitinga (Ajax Amsterdam), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg SV), Mario Melchiot (Wigan Athletic), Andre Ooijer (Blackburn Rovers)

Midfielders: Ibrahim Afellay (PSV Eindhoven), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), Orlando Engelaar (Twente Enschede), Nigel de Jong (Hamburg SV), Wesley Sneijder (Real Madrid), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg SV), Demy de Zeeuw (AZ Alkmaar)

Forwards: Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Ajax Amsterdam), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Real Madrid), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (Celtic).

Bumble

First Grade
Dutch Squad:

Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax Amsterdam), Henk Timmer (Feyenoord)

Defenders: Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa), Tim de Cler (Feyenoord), John Heitinga (Ajax Amsterdam), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg SV), Mario Melchiot (Wigan Athletic), Andre Ooijer (Blackburn Rovers)

Midfielders: Ibrahim Afellay (PSV Eindhoven), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), Orlando Engelaar (Twente Enschede), Nigel de Jong (Hamburg SV), Wesley Sneijder (Real Madrid), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg SV), Demy de Zeeuw (AZ Alkmaar)

Forwards: Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Ajax Amsterdam), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Real Madrid), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (Celtic).

Really weak at the back but they'll play a 4-3-3 and that front 6 will be amazing

Latest posts