What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the fof (f### off folau) movement

eagles4eva

Coach

I won’t reply to the age insult, if it makes you feel man enough, good for you!

Nor the whole going to the shop thing

And yet the lack of centres and wingers in the NRL means that Taulima Tautai and Michael Bani are first-choice NRL players. Exciting.

No, not for the club or supporters, players move on

You can enjoy watching up-and-comers like Jamal Idris coming though the ranks, as I do as well. But I would rather watch him develop alongside Sonny-Bill than Gary Warburton. Why is it wrong to want to keep the current superstars who still have years and years to offer, and complement them with the newcomers?

This is interesting; SBW, Gas, Sailor, Hunt, Rogers and now Folau have left for money (or a challenge). So let’s keep them to develop our younger players "great". But let’s lift the salary cap, let’s pay Folau 4.2 Million. Bye Manly, Cronulla, Knights and maybe a few others…

Will be a interesting time for the Bronco's now wont it, how many marquee players will they have left, Oh and what about cutie Yeah give him a few million as well..

Hell, let’s bend over for all the player managers who want elite NRL players on a million a year...

My point all along has been, as much as it a loss that Folau has left, one day, maybe not tomorrow a new superstar will come through.

I was trying to be half glass full rather than glass half empty... But go hard JM, pull apart my sentences or call me 14

nqcowboy87

Bench
Yes but if Tuqiri and Sailor stayed they would of been on the wings til last season in Sailor's case. Hunt wouldn't of got start or Boyd. So while I agree it's a lose sometimes if someone's herat wants out let them go. You guys like everyone else on have 17 spots if you keep everyone then new players can't come in.

hunt would have played as lockyer would have always moved back to 6

winnyason

Juniors
This is such f**king bullsh*t pacific islanders are not going to take up AFL, they play rugby league and union simply 100 years of history some bullsh*t franchise is not going to change that.

Dragonwest

Juniors
AFL are the merkins in this whole thing, not Folau... Who would seriously reject a job paying nearly 3 times as much as what you are currently earning? No one

If it ment I was selling out the game I grew up playing by promoting AFL instead, I would definitely say no!

It's not as if he's just going over there to simply play and take the cash. He's made a conscious decision to attack the game he grew up playing by being a focal point of the AFL PR team.

People in the league community should happily flame away!

Big Pete

Referee
Yes but if Tuqiri and Sailor stayed they would of been on the wings til last season in Sailor's case. Hunt wouldn't of got start or Boyd. So while I agree it's a lose sometimes if someone's herat wants out let them go. You guys like everyone else on have 17 spots if you keep everyone then new players can't come in.

Why wouldn't a fullback get a start over a winger?

It took 4-5 seasons for Boyd to come through and as good as Boyd is, he is no Sailor or Tuqiri.

Flame Thrower

Juniors
He's going for the money thats it!He can if he wants to,just like QLD origin team can drop him.They can if they want to.I would drop him.

Cletus

First Grade
Israel Folau says he did not do this to hurt league and money was not the end factor in his decision. I read in the Australian he is on a basic 400,000 and has to convert fans to make more.

If all that is true then I am very disappointed because he is hurting league. I could understand if he was going for the money but if that is not the case then why is he going?

I can't believe Issy would give up the chance to play state of origin for a lousy $400,000 but that may be the case because I can't see many people converting to AFL in western Sydney.

Isreal Falou didn't say anything, he just said what the AFL spin department told him to say. Funnily enough he's going to play Union in France rather than learn how to play Airial Fairy League because he knows it's a sh*t sport and he'd rather play something he enjoys.

Galeforce

Bench
nothing against the young man, seems a likeable bloke who is looking after himself , which is also not unreasonable.If he was playing lousy , then Brisbane and Qld origin folks would want to get rid of him , so why not go for the bucks to set up his life.

However , as he is now and will be a marketing tool for AFL into NRL heartland , he should not be surprised NOT to be picked in either Origin or any future Australian sides. If he was picked , AFL would have a bigger marketing tool. So , lets forget about him , simple as that. Also if NRL was strong enough to dictate NRL versus club benefit , a drop to the Brisbane feeder club would make sense to me. Nothing personal , however no point increasing his marketing value to AFL.

nqcowboy87

Bench
POLYNESIANS with natural athletic ability are the next big targets for the AFL - and Israel Folau is ready to lure them away from the rugby codes.

As the face of Aussie rules in western Sydney, Folau has been recruited by the AFL not only to market the new Greater Western Sydney franchise but also attract highly skilled Polynesian teens.

''It's really about a second choice for them, most Polynesian kids tend to choose to play rugby league and I just think, as for me changing codes, they could have a second option and play AFL as well,'' Folau said.

''Especially in the western Sydney area, a lot of Polynesian kids will maybe be thinking about playing AFL now. I'm pretty lucky to have the talent that I have, but it's going to take a lot of hard work for me to make the transition.''

Folau, Sydney born of Tongan descent, said he ''certainly wouldn't feel guilty'' about luring players of any background to AFL, despite the time and money league had spent on his development.

The signing of the untried Folau to a multimillion-dollar contract has caused great angst in Australian football ranks, which has spurred AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou to email to every player, coach and official yesterday to explain the move.

In the email, Demetriou insists the value of Folau's contract is in line with those of other elite players in the code, with ''separate marketing and promotional contracts'' with an emphasis on ''the increasing promotion of our game throughout the Pacific Islands''.

Meanwhile, Folau has set his sights on becoming the second player to conquer all three codes by seeking a stint in European rugby before joining his AFL franchise, Greater Western Sydney - which will not stand in his way.

The 21-year-old rugby league star has signed a four-year deal with GWS worth $6 million but is also keen to dip his toe in European rugby union.

''It would be another awesome experience to go over there and play in another code and then come back to the AFL, that is something for me to look at down the track,'' Folau told the Herald.

Folau wants to emulate his friend Karmichael Hunt, who left the Broncos to play for French rugby side Biarritz before returning this week to join AFL side Gold Coast. ''I still don't know what I am going to do at the end of the year, whether I will stay here and practise or go overseas and have a stint in rugby union,'' Folau said. ''I'll see what the options are at the end of the year.''

Folau rejected an offer to join the Melbourne Rebels Super 15 rugby franchise to sign with the AFL.

GWS coach Kevin Sheedy said the club would not stop Folau spending his pre-season in Europe as opposed to training at Blacktown Olympic Park.

''As long as he gets into a situation where he starts practising his kicking - that's all I'm concerned about,'' Sheedy said. ''I'm not worried if he ends up playing rugby - he is two years younger than Karmichael so we're not going to worry about that. It will take me five years to get a bloke who has a build like his.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/izzy-afls-6m-polynesian-pioneer-20100601-wvd5.html

this is exacxtly why he shouldnt be coddled, hes part of the enemy now as soon as he signed those papers

Seriously, why do they think that Polys in Western Sydney will try AFL because Folau has gone to AFL?

It doesnt make any sense at all.

He is a Queenslander who played for Brisbane, Melbourne and the Qld Origin team. The Polys here don't idolsie that turd, they idolise the Polys who play for the Tigers, the Eels, the Panthers etc etc etc. He was the Western Sydney Rugby League equivalent of pond scum.

By the time the big girl kicks his first ball in the AFL in anger he'll be scum and forgotten.

Dumbest move ever.

BDH

Juniors
LOL @ the people who take Folau signing with the AFL as a PERSONAL insult!:crazy:

Firstly; 99% pf the people upset at Folau's decision would take a triple + pay rise in a heartbeat, regardless of their profession.

Secondly; 2 $1.6 million + , it would be IRRESPONSIBLE of Folau to NOT sign.

Thirdly; Out of all the ex-players/ media personalities who have chipped in, only TWO have any right whatsoever to comment; that is Lockyer and Wally Lewis. They are the only two players who never went to another league/club for cash, during their playing years.

Good luck to Folau!

Last edited:

badav

Bench
The whole argument that is based upon 'you'd go if you got a pay rise in a second' is really starting to wear thin.

If i was on 300k in Rugby League, doing what I loved from a young age, and got an offer to goto a sport that I could not begin to understand (AFL), then i wouldn't.

Then you wouldn't be very smart. Its very easy to say what your saying as a fan, when your not the one having millions offered to you.

Your forgetting these blokes are professionals. They're not working part time and playing for $500 a game anymore.

They don't view the game from the same standpoint as the fans do, and your not the one out on the park smashing your body up every week. Because if you were i guarantee you, you would view things differently. Look at Ben Ross, 1 tackle and your career can be over. So as a player naturally you have to make the most of your earning potential. Doing something your unfamiliar with, or even don't really want to do a really a secondary consideration.

Last edited:

LazyDreamer

Bench
LOL @ the people who take Falou signing with the AFL as a PERSONAL insult!:crazy:

Firstly; 99% pf the people upset at Falou's decision would take a triple + pay rise in a heartbeat, regardless of their profession.

Secondly; 2 $1.6 million + , it would be IRRESPONSIBLE of Falou to NOT sign.

Thirdly; Out of all the ex-players/ media personalities who have chipped in, only TWO have any right whatsoever to comment; that is Lockyer and Wally Lewis. They are the only two players who never went to another league/club for cash, during their playing years.

Good luck to Falou!

Seriously dude - the title of the thread shows you how to spell 'Folau' if you're not sure. It's not rocket surgery. :roll:

BDH

Juniors
They don't view the game from the same standpoint as the fans do, and your not the one out on the park smashing your body up every week. Because if you were i guarantee you, you would view things differently. Look at Ben Ross, 1 tackle and your career can be over. So as a player naturally you have to make the most of your earning potential. Doing something your unfamiliar with, or even don't really want to do a really a secondary consideration.

+ 1000000

I have been told firsthand, from a certain 'large-forehead'ed" ex-Bronco, that he regrets never getting his English payday. At the height of his career, he was offered big coin to go to England. When weighing up his future, his own brother told him he had achieved everything in the game and to set himself up, however this guy decided to re-sign with Brisbane and take the English payday at the end of the new contract.

One tackle then changed him forever and a season later, he had to retire.

It would be irresponsible of Folau to not take a multi-million dollar contract.

Last edited:

kay

Juniors
I don't understand the notions of loyalty people have for code defectors, loyalty seem to be that they have an obligation to stay in their current code. Karmichael said it best when a contract serves both parties equally. NRL and clubs have no obligation to keep players that they no longer want, where is their loyalty in renewing their contracts or even playing them when they still have contracts to run? We have seen the way they have shopped players around, Mason earlier this year, who could forget the way Hodges was treated when he signed with roosters, before being welcomed back and playing at fullback in a winning premiership side. The NRL have also terminated contracts at will for misbehaving players, obviously not the best example, but when it has suited the NRL they did so resulting in control of players social lives.
The idea of not picking Folau, would be hypocritical in my mind and rather shortsighted. Whats the difference in the loyalty they are showing him to what they are criticising him for. It's a quick fix, but looking at the reasons why I do not think its fully thought through.
1. blooding players for future series
If this were the case, then they should not be giving other origin stars a chance at a farewell as they would not be playing future series. You can talk about the service they have given, but what would stop them from subsequently announcing a stint in Japanese rugby? If Folau has been good enough to be previously picked, he should still be good enough.
2. free publicity for AFL
Folau won't be playing in the AFL till 2012, and GWS will be playing in the VFL before then, only AFL diehards watch that, I'm not sure how many leagueis will convert (as a result of Folau) before then. Folau's media exposure should be used as much to NRL's advantage as it will be for AFL. Selecting Folau for Origin is always an opportunity to gain AFL viewers. As an AFL fan they will be thinking who is this guy that thinks he can make it in our game after never playing before. What do they? THey will want to watch him, which will mean watching NRL. NRL fans won't be thinking I want to watch AFL now, what would they tune into? So picking Folau would have exposed them to the brand of State of origin football.
Rugby league hasn't had the best of reputations the last few years for whatever reasons and by not supporting Folau, but all jumping on him, as well as all these greats bagging him, (when if shown big money they would probably take it themselves), doesn't really come across as very great.

Chook Norris

First Grade
''It's really about a second choice for them, most Polynesian kids tend to choose to play rugby league and I just think, as for me changing codes, they could have a second option and play AFL as well,'' Folau said.

Folau says this like kids in Western Sydney have NO option........ wake up. They do. They choose NOT to play the game.....