What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the fof (f### off folau) movement

Johns Magic

Referee
You absolute fool, go buy a Folau doll moron and have your way with it!

Maybe 14 was a bit old...

Oh here we go, keyboard cowboy, "barely construct a sentence”, 14 yo etc etc... blah blah blah YOU ARE A IDIOT…..

Do you want to re-read the first post you wrote to me?

And I stand by my insults.

Nice that you have listed the elite with the fringe players you goose.

Are you f**king serious? Seriously, get a piece of paper and a pen and think about what you just said. If there were better players available in the NRL which ones do you think would get the shove? I'll put it in words you might understand:

Your mummy takes you to the corner store and says you can choose 3 different types of lollies to take home. You pick gobstoppers, nerds and gummy-bears, but you don't really like gummy-bears. Then as you're walking to the cashier where your mummy is going to pay for them, you see redskins at the counter. Redskins are your favourite lollies in the whole, wide world! You beg your mummy to get you one, but she says you can only have three lollies and so have to give one of the others up. Which one do you put back eagles4eva? If you answered gummy-bears because they're the worst lollies in the bunch, then you might have finally figured out how picking sporting teams works.

My point was and read it slowly knob jockey, one day someone will replace him, there is a kid out there playing park footy right now (in time) will rise up to the elite level…

And yet the lack of centres and wingers in the NRL means that Taulima Tautai and Michael Bani are first-choice NRL players. Exciting.

You can enjoy watching up-and-comers like Jamal Idris coming though the ranks, as I do as well. But I would rather watch him develop alongside Sonny-Bill than Gary Warburton. Why is it wrong to want to keep the current superstars who still have years and years to offer, and complement them with the newcomers?

Have you got this….

Yep. What you said was pretty simple. In every sense of the word.

Aegil

Juniors
Do the majority of posters in this thread represent the core demographic of RL supporters?

I'm a control systems engineer. If I decided I wanted to get into electrical engineering, even if it was just because I would get paid more, I'm pretty sure most people will wish me all the best.

Not getting the hate.

LazyDreamer

Bench
How's Folau going to attract western Sydney kids to fumbleball in droves? He's Qld, Broncos, ex-Storm. Jeez, it's been a huge over-reaction. Just like this woman...

israel-fury.jpg

Jono1987

Juniors
I can understand both sides of argument on this issue. I agree that we can't just let high profile league players convert to other codes. But there really is little we can do because we simply don't have the coin to compete. Incremental increases in the salary cap are going to do little to keep players in the game. Higher rep payments and relaxed third-party deals seem a more progressive and effective method.

On the Folau issue I do think the NRL needs to adopt a more bullish approach in the sense that any league player who decides to leave for another code be banned for a certain period of time before returning to our game. This would not be popular with current players but really, too bad. I would personally like to see converts banned for 5 years from the year in which they begin playing with their new code. The NRL must be defiant, we know we can't match the money being offered, but if you choose to go you won't come back before a 5 year period.

A little off topic but with the much needed introduction of the IC, the current administration should remove themselves and a new group put in. I'm not a Gallop hater or anything, I just see our current administration as too passive and not aggressive enough in all business facets. He can be a bit hit and miss but someone like Parra's Osborne would be great for a top league position because of his bullish attitude and non-stop talking up of league. Get Greenberg in there somewhere too. Gallop has had his time and others will judge him, but the time is right for hime to move on and let someone else steer us for the next decade.

Dazraider

Juniors
he would give a heap of cash to the church scammers and they probably had something to do with his move

Firey_Dragon

Coach
i certainly wouldnt, but then again im not greedy, what really irks me is that all this setting up for life, do they nto expect to work another day in their life once football is finished, eventually this so called treasure chest will wear thin

well set up the foafl and ill join

So you wouldn't take up a job offer to earn in 3 years what it would take you to earn in 9 normally, fully knowing that you could get a career ending injury at any time? haha yeah right.

We all love league, but lets get serious, if you didn't take that offer you'd be a moron. The kid will earn in 3 years what he'd earn in an entire career in the NRL, having that much extra cash per year increases your asset worth exponentially in comparison. You may as well say he's earning what he could in around 18 years in the NRL having that extra cash and being able to invest it wisely.

If your manager didn't force pen to paper for you, he deserves to be fired.

Fui!!!

Juniors
Master signing by GWS/AFL. A Storm player who went to the Broncos and played for QLD in SoO.

Yep, really popular in Western Sydney. And by 2012 no one will even remember him.

They just spent $6 million. And apparently it got them a live press conference in Sydney :lol: Maybe if your target demographic is stay at home mums watching Days of our Lives. And apparently this will be plastered all over the papers for the next 2 years :lol: SMH and DT websites main story is Socceroos 1-0 friendly win over Denmark.

Yep, that lasted long.

The Brain

Juniors
Obviously this deal with Folaufel brain was done ages ago- the same day it was announced a local AFL oval out our way had giant posters of him all over the place.

IF Kerry Packer was alive this wouldnt be happening

Current regime is crook and has been since Superleague.

...and you all fell for it
I love rugby league but it pains me to see the News Superleague-fixes -Melbourne Bulldogs and theres more but since it aint public knowledge thats all I say.

Honestly the NRL should be thrown out immediately as they are not capable of providing a fair game.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Do the majority of posters in this thread represent the core demographic of RL supporters?

I'm a control systems engineer. If I decided I wanted to get into electrical engineering, even if it was just because I would get paid more, I'm pretty sure most people will wish me all the best.

Not getting the hate.

Do people buy business shirts with your name stitched on the back, or spend money to come and watch you being a control systems engineer? You'll have to point me to Control Systems Engineer Unlimited so I can go and see what they think about this. Might even join one of the Forum 7's teams :p could write a cracking article about commercial airliners.

What I like the most about this signing is that AFL turds have spent years telling us our game is rubbish and no one watches it, their game is epically popular and we should all bow down. Yet they are signing rugby league players who've never played the sport, purely for promotional purposes and to build the profile of their new teams. Am I missing something here? If it was so poorly followed why on Earth would anyone care that they're signing our players. Shouldn't they just throw 3 million at Jack The Ripper Ablett's son and the popularity of AFL alone would make GWS or Gold Coast a huge success?

Dazzat

First Grade
If it was so poorly followed why on Earth would anyone care that they're signing our players. Shouldn't they just throw 3 million at Jack The Ripper Ablett's son and the popularity of AFL alone would make GWS or Gold Coast a huge success?

Only if they were setting up a second team in Geelong.

They are aggressively striking at AFL heartland.

Professional sport is becoming a 'kill or be killed' world.

Izzy and Hunt are just pawns ... if they think the AFL is interested in their welfare as players, they are kidding themselves.

To the AFL, Izzy and Hunt aren't much more than the guys who wobble pizza signs out on the street.

franklin2323

Immortal
After a long, full and illustrious career. A career that Knights fans(and I'm sure a lot of NRL fans) feel honoured to have witnessed, and one that I can guarantee brought all Knights fans a lot of pride and enjoyment. Supporting the Knights throughout the 2000's wouldn't have been quite the same without him.

Yep, I'm glad Buderus didn't get poached by rugby union when he was 21.

If Buderus had won, premierships, Soo, Test by that age he may of gone. He wasn't even really estabished by the age of 21. Let alone achieve a heap of stuff players wait 10 years for

I am the same good luck to him like my Avatar Pritchards off contract now say he goes good luck to him. Maybe not now but in the near future I will have a favourite take his place

I absolutely agree. But can you tell me honestly that you wouldn't be more excited watching a semi-final between the Bulldogs and the Broncos if Folau, Karmichael and SBW were all playing? I'm sure NSW fans would rather cheer on Mark Gasnier in the centres than Matt Cooper.

I love rugby league because it's exciting. And I would rather watch exciting players who can pull off the incredible than park footy players who aren't up to it.

I agree but we need to lift the bottom tier quality Every team Full strength looks good on paper but go down to Squad member 20-25 and there's some average players there. Yes say we had SBW, Gasiner co still in. Where would that leave the likes of Boyd, Morris, etc? Because each team only has 17 spots. If Gasiner stayed ot the Dragons. Not only would a Backline spot be taken but so would $400k of the cap. To improve the fringe players we need a national 2nd tier comp instead

Who the hell said anything about that?

That's the tone of this stunt oh no Folau's has gone League's dead lets go follow him over to male netball

bobmar28

Bench
Israel Folau says he did not do this to hurt league and money was not the end factor in his decision. I read in the Australian he is on a basic 400,000 and has to convert fans to make more.

If all that is true then I am very disappointed because he is hurting league. I could understand if he was going for the money but if that is not the case then why is he going?

I can't believe Issy would give up the chance to play state of origin for a lousy $400,000 but that may be the case because I can't see many people converting to AFL in western Sydney.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
you are kidding aren't you? You know as well as I do that this is a safe bet for him, if it fails he will have every NRL club fighting for his signature in 2014 and will still earn a shed when he moves back to RL. If you were really honest how many wouldn't take the silly money being offered him? I know I would.

No. He won't come back in the same shape he leaves in He will lose Body mass due to the extra running he will do possibily lose 10 or so kg. Have a different tackling techinque.

$400k he was on now was overpaid. When he wants back prob 1/2 that he will be entitled for.

I wouldn't of taken it. Hunt at least played it breifly at school it's a huge gamble if you hate the sport.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I just watched the press conference. If they're planning on attracting new fans to their game maybe they should have gone after someone who can string a sentence together...

franklin2323

Immortal
JM - Hit the nail on the head.

I've seen 7 Broncos depart the code and all bar 3 I believe did it because of the pay packet they would receive.

What hurts even more is that as a Rugby League fan we'd yet to see the best of Tuqiri, Folau, Hunt and Barnes and the likes of Sailor and Thorn still had more to give the game before their initial exits.

You can keep on trotting out the line, 'the game will move on' and that's good for you fans who continually support the guys who are talented but not talented enough to attract the interest of rival codes but I'd much rather see the code retain the best players in the hope that the quality of the game continues to grow and draws further interest from casual viewers.

As for Folau, I said it elsewhere and while he won't be as missed as others he's still a huge loss and it's a shame that we won't ever get to see the best of him in Rugby League.

Yes but if Tuqiri and Sailor stayed they would of been on the wings til last season in Sailor's case. Hunt wouldn't of got start or Boyd. So while I agree it's a lose sometimes if someone's herat wants out let them go. You guys like everyone else on have 17 spots if you keep everyone then new players can't come in.