What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show 2012

goosie

Juniors
i agree last nights footy show was shocking. i will still watch it next week though.

Von

Juniors
The funniest part of the show was when the crowd applauded in unison after the big marn told Harley to shut up. The whole contrived banter aka Rabs -Gus style was embarrassing though. How 2GB ever got the exclusive rights is a mystery
The only sport in the world where we have exclusive radio rights!
Every other sport welcomes radio coverage, so their sport reaches saturation point.
Just look at how many Melbourne radio stations cover the AFL!

And yet RL gives away it's precious product for a mere $1M per year. The game as a whole would do far better to have mass covergae rather than a piss ass $1M, which is nothing in the scheme of things today.

I used to love it when I was growing up, I could listen to various games on a Sunday arvo on ABC, 2GB, 2CH, 2SM, 2UE, etc.

Bring back multiple coverage!!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I was very, very drunk last night (on beer, wine and VICTORY) and watched it fr the first 10 minutes.

Most kids these days wouldn't even know who Bryan Fletcher is. He was an overrated back rower from a decade ago.

And those original lookalike segments. Hilarious.

Who signs off on the budget to produce this show? Do the producers have dirt on them or something?

Its the only way I can think that they keep getting it made. TFS was great fun - in the 90's. Thats where it and Channel 9 are stuck.

juro

Bench
Highest ratings for the footy show in over a year. I guess it helps when you have a game as the lead-in for it...

hutch

First Grade
The one thing that never changes is fatty. He is hopeless, might be a nice bloke but has dinosaur views on rugby league, is a terrible host and has lost touch with the game. Last night was cringeworthy!

Von

Juniors
Can anyone from Melbourne comment on this?
How was it watching TFS and hearing them talk about the Dragons great win, before you've had a chance to watch it???

Geohood

Bench
Wierd that they didn't show every segment. Was waiting for the Cordner one they never showed.. Think there was meant to be one with Mario as well which I didn't care about though. They must be showing them next week after running out of time.

Canard

Immortal
Can anyone from Melbourne comment on this?
How was it watching TFS and hearing them talk about the Dragons great win, before you've had a chance to watch it???

There is now way I could be bothered to stay up til 11.30pm on Thu night to watch 90mins of Footyshow than the actual Footy, so I just recorded it, will watch it this weekend.

From what I saw of Slats on WWOS I was unimpressed, but I will give it a go.

Armageddon.

Juniors
Maybe Slater is there because they wanted Sattler but somewhere along the line someone f**ked up and got the wrong guy

nqcowboy87

Bench
yeh slats wont last, neither will tallis. slats parading around in manly gear seemed to just be a token thing and it was so forced it wasnt funny. tallis was a great player and probably a reasonably intelligent guy but as a tv show presenter hes woeful. beau ryan is a very hit and miss prospect, last night he missed and i think what theyre trying to do with the "big marmn" is a trevor marmalade thing but i dont see that working. really the only thing i liked about the show last night was 5 in the bin. i think somebody mentioned previously about having girds and matty elliot on . i dont think that sounds bad at all.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Slats and Tallis don't work... hope they don't last long. We need Sterlo, Rabs or even Gus back in it and get rid of Benji, who most of the time seems like he doesn't want to be there.

Other than that I think the set and format is marginally better this year, they're harking back to a few things that were successful in previous years. The Big Marn in the corner thing works well too.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I thought Tallis was with Fox. So I guess he probably wont be on TFS for much longer.

One thing I found strange was no player interviews.

The 5 minute sin bin should be the 10 minute sin bin, with less Michael Slater.

I thought some of the show they were trying to be like the AFL Footy Show. Get a popular cricket commentator to be the co-host, stick a funny man in the corner to pull off some on liners, although mind you the Big Marn didnt have much to say, so really it was pointless having him there.

I didnt mind the segment with Erin (is that her name?) talking about the latest Rugby League news, except we've heard the "Gay Guy" joke about 20,000 times.

I'll still watch it but will like it more if they do more player interviews, and more sin bin segments.

Big Pete

Referee
Last night was a bit of a mess but that was always going to be on the cards.

First show of the season coming straight off the first game of the season. There wouldn't have been a lot of material to cover, not a lot of controversial opinions other than predictions and previews which for mine isn't really engaging material.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but I didn't think any host really embarrassed themselves at all. Some pretty decent insight especially from Slater who I think has a career in the media if he wishes to pursue it.

Actually I take it back, Marshall forgetting players names was a bit ordinary. I'm still not sold on him as a Footy Show personality and the Gould tribute was a bit much.

I liked Gus' breakdown on Benji's 05 Grand Final play. If they can do something like that each week it'd be good.

undertaker

Coach
As I correctly predicted, the Footy Show was always going to rate well in Sydney off the back of the RL match. And, as I also said, how they will perform in the weeks to come WITHOUT having an NRL match as a lead-in to the 9:30pm timeslot remains to be seen. TFS has only cracked 200k in Sydney a couple of times in the last 2 yrs or so (the highest rating being the 500th show last year). Given that is the case, 241k is fantastic by TFS's standards.

Although they have been on life support for the last few years, this really is TFS's last roll of the dice. With the upcoming tv rights negotiations and given their poor ratings over the last two years, I absolutely cnanot see Ch9 persevering with the NRL version if they lose the tv rights (the AFL version won't get ditched due to strong ratings in Melbourne, as well as key AFL men affiliated with Ch9). If they don't get their act together this year, it's going to be a loooooooong year for them and I can see several sub-100k ratings figures in Sydney. It did dip below 100k last year, I believe.

undertaker

Coach
I liked Gus' breakdown on Benji's 05 Grand Final play. If they can do something like that each week it'd be good.

As good of a player as Benji is, Ch9 don't realise that their constant wankathon and flogging of Benji is diminishing his reputation. It doesn't surprise me though: Ch9 are notorious for flogging a dead horse, whether it be through their personalities or their tv shows.

At times, you can see that Benji looks embarrassed when Fatty/Gus/Rabs shower him with accolades ad nauseum.

undertaker

Coach
The only sport in the world where we have exclusive radio rights!
Every other sport welcomes radio coverage, so their sport reaches saturation point.
Just look at how many Melbourne radio stations cover the AFL!

And yet RL gives away it's precious product for a mere $1M per year. The game as a whole would do far better to have mass covergae rather than a piss ass $1M, which is nothing in the scheme of things today.

I used to love it when I was growing up, I could listen to various games on a Sunday arvo on ABC, 2GB, 2CH, 2SM, 2UE, etc.

Bring back multiple coverage!!

I have written about this extensively in the radio rights thread. I know ppl harp on about the tv rights being undersold, but the way the radio rights have been dealt with over the last decade or so has been nothing but disgraceful. It is literally communism when we supposedly live in the land of the free. It reminds of George Carlin's comedy routine on "freedom of choice".

Hopefully this is an area that the ARLC will really crack down on when the radio rights expire at end of year.

undertaker

Coach
What's with that studio?

Because the Today show is taking up all the prime real estate, it looked like they were forced to shoot it in the corner near the fire escape. It looked ridiculous.
Really? Is it shot in the same studio as the Today show?