What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show Thread 2007

Red Bear

Referee
"Coz I know Mark O'Meley wants to be a one club player."

Hard to be a one club player when you've already played for two

it starts here in melb in about 25mins....the AFL show was good, predictably they bagged the crap out of ch7

choc mundine interview was good, great how they showed him sammy newman in fine form 'punching' a richmond player back in the 60s while he was on his knees

also good how they had the set-up in the mail bag segment of the news report from the late 80s about a young west indian fast bowler training in australia, bowling to a young WA batsmen with loads of potential (James Brayshaw)....hearing Brayshaw speak was hilarious, his balls hadnt dropped and they kept replaying him talking about the bowling when they showed highlights of Garry Lyon from the SW 20/20 match

i'll check out the NRL show...disappointing sterlo isnt on, the chief annoys the sh1t out of me

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Stewie Griffin said:
Stopped watching it like 4 years ago when they stopped talking about the game.

GMAFB. They do a review of at least four major matches and at least two interviews that focus on footy/footy players lifestyle.

THE FOOTY SHOW, for those who aren't aware, is more a variety show.

Would you rather NOT have the presence of RL in any way on a Thursday night?

It's exposure for the game and gets people interested. Lighten the f**k up.

ok the opening credits and band suck

i think this year with 9 having 2 friday night games, the melbourne storm could be scheduled a lot more on friday nights putting the storm game live into melb and see how it competes with friday night footy on 7

BrisVegas

Juniors
Anyone else hear the guys on the panel bagging out the new Matty Johns "A Current Affair"/"Today Tonight" spoof? As the segment finished they showed a shot of the crowd clapping but someone on the panel, Mason I think, could be heard saying "That was Terrible" followed by someone replying "Yeah that was s#!t"

mattyg

Bench
lol well good on him coz it was terrible...

I mean, i f'kn hate today tonight with a passion, but the way they created that segment to take the p*** out of it on an NRL show is ridiculous. They are so out of touch with the audience, what the hell does that s*** have to do with an NRL show. Its 9 v 7 not NRL. I didn't even laugh once, and as i said, i hate TT.

Frederick

Staff member
TBH, I didn't think tonights Footy Show was all that bad. But I've been watching the AFL one tonight, and it's just been so much better. They even plugged the Storm-Tigers match FFS :|

McCrud

Juniors
The Thursday Night NRL Footy Show was the biggest load of tripe I have seen since....well, last year's version....

From the start you knew it was going to be an absolute stinker, the embarrassing 'alter-ego' intro, it was cringe-worthy stuff (thank goodness there's no Broncos involved).

Little footy talk, (as always) though plenty of useless banter, they spend more time giving themselves a wrap (Sterlo) then focusing on the issues they purport to cover. The hosts of the show are woeful - Fatty Vautin is clearly not over his accident last year, he stumbled through his speaking, labelled the Melbourne Storm the 'Melbourne Tigers' and generally made himself look at unprofessional as possible.

To compare this show to the AFL version is disrespectful, as the AFL show is in another league entirely when it comes to content. Breaking stories, plenty of 'code-related' discussion and a general view to talking about footy.

TBH the AFL Footy Show talked more about Rugby League then the NRL version did!

The Sunday Footy Show is excellent - why not attempt to copy that format just a little? The entire Thursday night fiasco is shameful to the code and to the league - and I can't believe they are allowed to get away with it.

shaggy

Juniors
chief has to go, his new thats gold theme, is horrible

their talking about the dragons v titans game & how the dragons have a lot of rookies in their team & chief chimes in and says yeah the knights have rookies in their first round team, good old chief cant stop talking about the knights

Ice777

Bench
Collingwood Storm said:
ok the opening credits and band suck

i think this year with 9 having 2 friday night games, the melbourne storm could be scheduled a lot more on friday nights putting the storm game live into melb and see how it competes with friday night footy on 7

Did you also see that the very first ad after the first segment on the AFL footy show was advertising tonights game of the Storm v Tigers live on channel 9? I thought that was a nice touch and a very smart move.

Mr Saab

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
Load of laughs? Pffft - same 14 year old fatty one liners, chief behaves like a 5 year old, matty is craig mclachlan material. Segments that japanese tv would be embarrassed to show, repetitive guests.

It was funny 14 years ago. Would you watch the same movie every thursday for 6 months a year for 14 years running?

Well said.
Matty Johns and his "Dobson" report was less funny than McLaughlin.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Originally Posted by Red and Blue Knight
Load of laughs? Pffft - same 14 year old fatty one liners, chief behaves like a 5 year old, matty is craig mclachlan material. Segments that japanese tv would be embarrassed to show, repetitive guests.

It was funny 14 years ago. Would you watch the same movie every thursday for 6 months a year for 14 years running?

I knew a lady who watched 'Pretty Woman' just about every day.

Utey

Coach
wtf is going on with that band? Absolutely terrible!!!

The Sterlo feature was great! So sad to see the only worthy bloke go.

I think Matty Johns needs to do more player impersonations. Wendell Sailor & Gaz were hilarious. When he puts on that clay stuff its great.