What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2009

Big Mick

Referee
I understand where Firey Dragon is coming from and Big Mick also....but BM you came across a little bit precious there.

Well when someone questions whether something is a worthy cause or not...when people have put countless hours of time...and $5k of their own money...into it...it gets my back up a little..

And to sort of put it in perspective....over $100 million was raised from the Australian public, and very rightfully so, to the bushfire appeal...and is continuing to flow in. I gave $1000 of my own hard earned for it as well as the time i'll be giving by helping the clean up...On top of that there is an abundance of insurance money that will be paid as well as Governments re-building all the houses in the Victorian area. There is no premise...to even compare Sonny Fai to those appeals and anyone who does so is a fool. They were totally different and totally different severity...and totally different sums of money.

The total we'll raise from this, as i've purchased an extra 6,000 wristbands today as we've sold out of stock in Australia, is probably...around $20,000. Which is a lot of money, I agree...but compared to what each citizen of Victoria will get...not much...and rightfully so...they lost their house and some lost loved ones. THe Fai's...have lost their main contributor to their livelihood...we felt it was something we needed to do as fans in order to show our appreciation for Sonny as a footballer...and a human being.

Sonny was an exceptional person and a fantastic role model for the community. He was a fantastic son and provider for his family. That is now lost. What these funds will be used for is to provide a fantastic education for his younger brother whom he saved Gillesbie, so that one day he can be that main income-producer for his family. It is a small amount of money...for a long term benefit to the family.

I'm not going to persecute anyone's beliefs in any charity...anyone that gets off their bum to put into the community and do their bit to make society better...for whatever the cause...should be congratulated. Some may feel that this cause isn't worthwhile, but they don't exactly have to buy a wristband to support it, but please do not undermine what we are trying to do for the Fai's.

Both myself and David...arn't the Red Cross...we are not getting ANY corporate support. The funding of all this is coming out of my pocket. The reason is simple...to provide the fans of the NRL in general and the Warriors...the chance to say Thank You to Sonny for the man he was...and to provide the fans an avenue to show that we are all a family...and in times where one of our family has fallen, we'll be there to help. That's the way I live my life, thats the way most people do...and thats why I believe in this.

Last edited:

imasharkie

Coach
what a diference a change of personal makes. I haven't watched the show for a couple of years but decided to watch last nights show.

Russell Crowe was fantastic and definetly the star of the show, his interaction with the other three was very good and it showed that he is a very smart cookie and he had some good ideas although I don't agree with the SOO and City v Country being played at the end of the season.
I will front up again next week to see if the show can carry itself without Russell. Vossy was good but seemed a little overawed sitting next to Russell, unfortunately MJ is still too much over the top for me but Fatty was his usual funny self.
I've always been a fan of Russell Crowe as an actor and now I like the man as a person. I'll see Souths in a different light now and hope they can be a successful club under Russell.
progress.gif

bartman

Immortal
Russell Crowe was fantastic and definetly the star of the show, his interaction with the other three was very good and it showed that he is a very smart cookie and he had some good ideas although I don't agree with the SOO and City v Country being played at the end of the season.
progress.gif
They could do a lot worse than have other club owners and CEOs as guests on the show like Russell was throughout the year.

What is there like 30 shows or something? Show us the fans the people behind the game. Get Denis Fitzgerald on there for a whole show sat next to Vossy, he'd love it!

I'd love to hear guys like Michael Searle and Tony Zappia for an extended guest spot - all this would be much better than the sh*t they dealt us up in previous years, and which I fear they'll start to dish up to as again in a few weeks... Primarily talking footy > comedy and "entertainment" with next to no footy talk.

Eels Dude

Coach
Very impressed with last's show. Russell Crowe was terrific and came out very intelligent and with true passion for the game. Some of his ideas need a bit of work but at least he is a thinker.

Hopefully they can get a few of the more well versed and intelligent past and present players onto the show to express an opinion, rather than go for the high profile ones. I'd rather hear what the Adam Peeks of NRL have to say instead of the Benji Marshalls.

Vossy was poor. He butted in so many times in the Gallop interview it was like he wasn't allowed to finish a sentence. It came off very Hadley like.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
i liked it, some of russ's ideas probably aren't possible, ie mid week games just due to the shear brutality of it as well as extending the end of the season for SOO, but atleast he has tried to cook something out thats out of the norm which i reckon is required to fix some of the "problems" we are facing. I like fatty's speech at the start, devoted his life to football like so many have and have had a gutful of seeing it dragged through the mud.

Another good thing culling the panel down one is it leaves an open spot every week for current players which will in turn groom the next fulltime panelist in the future. I reckon MG for he occasional appearance as well, maybe the occasional inter-sport celebrity who is a known supporter of the game but are good infront of the camera, adam gilchrist or matty hayden would go good.

Would like to thank brett stewert for f**king both weekday nrl shows this week, was looking forward to seeing a decent season preview but no, 20/60 mins of nrl on fox to brett and alchohol in the game as well as a full segment last nite.

Best thing i loved about last night, as much as im not a fan of him, Gallop cut vossy off who was continuing on with negatives and rattled off 8-10 positives to look forward to this weekend.

kbw

Bench
didn't watch it last night, but I hear from a few people that Crowe seemed a bit odd.
Even compared to himself.
Apparently he even said somethings reasonably complientary about Fitler and the Roosters. Sounds like someone told him to pull his head in and try to get people to like you,.

fatshark

Bench
I'd like to see Roy Masters have the odd guest appearance during the year.

It would really sharpen the show up and give it much needed credo. Plus Roy does have a witty side as well.
If there is one person in League I despise, its this washed up old fart. The guy has issues relating to 30 years ago he cant get over. Biast, poor agendas and stupid ideas, sums this bloke up.

fatshark

Bench
Fatty saying he has 30 schooners then gets the mrs' to pick him was real funny. FMDThis is the sort of attitude that has to be stopped. The younger blokes think this is ok, when clearly isnt.

but I hear from a few people that Crowe seemed a bit odd.
Even compared to himself.

yeah I groaned everytime he came up with the" I know everything" chat.H etries hes hardest to be most intelligent person in the room.. A typical actor who wants to rule the world merkin. He tries to put the hooks into everyone, well mr popular, I can see write trhough you and what you stand for.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I thought it was good lots of football talk and interesting ideas from Russell Crowe. Obviously the Origin at the end of the season will never work, but I can understand where he's coming from.

Did anyone else think it was weird that towards the end of the Raaayy interview, he seemed like he wasnt finished, then they cut straight back to Fatty live? Seemed like he had more to say but Ch 9 didnt want a bar of it.

choc_soldier

Coach
It was the first one I've watched since about 2006 (I was a regular viewer until the Chief started "contaminating" it) - I thought I would give it a go, and I was pleasantly surprised and watched it right to the end. I'll give it another go next week, and see what happens.

Big Mick, fantastic thing you and Jesbass are doing! :clap:

nqcowboy87

Bench
the weirdest thing i found that i was agreeing with what ray "buttmunch" hadley had to say, it was like i had an outer body experience:crazy:

Canard

Immortal
Only one small thing, what was with the set??

It was so bare and low budget, it looked like a youtube video posted by fans.

Was it only half finished or is it the new "credit crunch" set, surely they can put up a few posters and jerseys etc.

Brutus

Referee
Thing is they can be naturally funny when discussing footy stuff.

When they do the rubbish staged segments that have nothing to do with footy, then I just turn off or don't watch again.

Surely they have learnt by now.

One Warrior

Bench
Well when someone questions whether something is a worthy cause or not...when people have put countless hours of time...and $5k of their own money...into it...it gets my back up a little..

And to sort of put it in perspective....over $100 million was raised from the Australian public, and very rightfully so, to the bushfire appeal...and is continuing to flow in. I gave $1000 of my own hard earned for it as well as the time i'll be giving by helping the clean up...On top of that there is an abundance of insurance money that will be paid as well as Governments re-building all the houses in the Victorian area. There is no premise...to even compare Sonny Fai to those appeals and anyone who does so is a fool. They were totally different and totally different severity...and totally different sums of money.

The total we'll raise from this, as i've purchased an extra 6,000 wristbands today as we've sold out of stock in Australia, is probably...around $20,000. Which is a lot of money, I agree...but compared to what each citizen of Victoria will get...not much...and rightfully so...they lost their house and some lost loved ones. THe Fai's...have lost their main contributor to their livelihood...we felt it was something we needed to do as fans in order to show our appreciation for Sonny as a footballer...and a human being.

Big

Sonny was an exceptional person and a fantastic role model for the community. He was a fantastic son and provider for his family. That is now lost. What these funds will be used for is to provide a fantastic education for his younger brother whom he saved Gillesbie, so that one day he can be that main income-producer for his family. It is a small amount of money...for a long term benefit to the family.

I'm not going to persecute anyone's beliefs in any charity...anyone that gets off their bum to put into the community and do their bit to make society better...for whatever the cause...should be congratulated. Some may feel that this cause isn't worthwhile, but they don't exactly have to buy a wristband to support it, but please do not undermine what we are trying to do for the Fai's.

Both myself and David...arn't the Red Cross...we are not getting ANY corporate support. The funding of all this is coming out of my pocket. The reason is simple...to provide the fans of the NRL in general and the Warriors...the chance to say Thank You to Sonny for the man he was...and to provide the fans an avenue to show that we are all a family...and in times where one of our family has fallen, we'll be there to help. That's the way I live my life, thats the way most people do...and thats why I believe in this.

Big Mick and Jesbass, well done to both of you, you have both done awesome, don't worry about the knockers, there are always people around who knock anybody who tries to do anything good, just ignore them. I say congratulations.:clap::clap::clap:

gong_eagle

First Grade
Bump

should be another serious night for the footy show again

I think I heard that weedler is gonna be on

Kiki

First Grade
oh god i just saw an ad for tonight sayng they have COMPLETE UNEDITED BRETT SEYMOUR TAPES. what are they thinking?? it isnt a current affair.

i am dissapointed.

Latest posts