What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2009

El Diablo

Post Whore

Shorty

Staff member
I only watched a bit, but enjoyed last night's show thoroughly.
Russell Crowe is quite the fan and I agreed with a few of his ideas especially about SOO.

I'm glad Chief is gone, obviously Fatty wasn't impressed but he was just terrible and was too biased and ill informed to be a panel member.
Fatty could have done without saying 'he didn't really know' why Laurie was back to Foxtel either.

But apart from that really good decent talks about footy and it's problems.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Did anyone else notice, during the sombre, serious interview at the start of the show, that the idiots in the band played Just Dance by Lady Ga Ga when David Gallop came out? I mean how f**king stupid is that? Other than that, excellent show I thought.

I noticed that. :lol:

Pretty dumb.

Snoochies

First Grade
I guess being the first show back and the anticipation of what was to come, I dare say most of us were sitting with our judgement hat on last night picking through the good and bad of the show and comparing it to previous years. Hopefully they stick with this format and enjoy the show for what it is. Also watched Laurie back on Fox and he seems right at home there, good to see him back.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Fully knowing the risk of sounding callous here. What happened to Sonny Fai was tragedy of the highest order, but I don't understand the logic behind the wristbands. I feel incredibly sorry for the family and all that knew him, but what entitles them to monetary donations for the loss of their son/brother/friend? Surely there are more worthy causes like the victorian bushfire victims who lost their homes? Or why not setup a fund for everyone who lost a family member over the summer via drowning?

While it's tragic what happened, money isn't going to bring him back. And the family didn't lose any money because of it.

It's like me setting up a donation fund if my brother got run over by a car tomorrow.

I admire those that have gone to the effort to set this up, but I think it's a bit misguided when there are far more needing people out there.

Fully knowing the risk of sounding callous here. What happened to Sonny Fai was tragedy of the highest order, but I don't understand the logic behind the wristbands. I feel incredibly sorry for the family and all that knew him, but what entitles them to monetary donations for the loss of their son/brother/friend? Surely there are more worthy causes like the victorian bushfire victims who lost their homes? Or why not setup a fund for everyone who lost a family member over the summer via drowning?

While it's tragic what happened, money isn't going to bring him back. And the family didn't lose any money because of it.

It's like me setting up a donation fund if my brother got run over by a car tomorrow.

I admire those that have gone to the effort to set this up, but I think it's a bit misguided when there are far more needing people out there.

Obviously there`s no pressure on anyone to buy the wristbands, only if you want to. I suppose Sonny being a major bread winner in the family, his passing would affect them financially, although I hear that they are receiving a very substantial insurance sum. Compared to that, this wristband donation is gonna be very little, I think it`s more a nice gesture and an expression of support to the family from the rugby league community.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Obviously there`s no pressure on anyone to buy the wristbands, only if you want to. I suppose Sonny being a major bread winner in the family, his passing would affect them financially, although I hear that they are receiving a very substantial insurance sum. Compared to that, this wristband donation is gonna be very little, I think it`s more a nice gesture and an expression of support to the family from the rugby league community.
And that's the point I'm making, by all means tribute him in some way. I just don't see their need for monetary support. If people feel they are deserving of donations, then that is fair enough. But in particular given our current situation within this country, there are many more hurting big time financially.

Big Mick

Referee
And that's the point I'm making, by all means tribute him in some way. I just don't see their need for monetary support. If people feel they are deserving of donations, then that is fair enough. But in particular given our current situation within this country, there are many more hurting big time financially.

Mate you can believe what you like...I appreciate that..but we did this as a sign of faith from the Fan's...to the Fai's.

Its up to the individual if they want to purchase them or not and 85% of the purchases will happen in NZ and we expected that

The money will be used to make a suitable tribute for Sonny.

Noone is forcing you to buy one.

I do a number of other things for various charities. I'm going down to Melbourne to help with the clean up, i'm an ambassador for the Starlight make-a-wish foundation in helping the children that are cronicially or terminally ill.

This is a cause myself and David were quite touched by....we wanted to do something...for the family as a sign of respect.

Last edited:
Well I guess people are free to make up their own minds about what is worthy and what is not. Noone`s under any pressure. If you want you can start up a colection for your Christmas fund, and hope that people will find it a good cause.

fourplay

Juniors
The wristbands are there to give people a choice. You can still donate money to the bushfire victims if you want, and now you can also donate your energy to Sonny Fai's memory with the proceeds going to a tribute for Fai or his family.

Buying a wristband is more than just a monetary donation. It's a symbol of acknowledgement and appreciation of Sonny Fai's life.

Scorpio30

Bench
I understand where Firey Dragon is coming from and Big Mick also....but BM you came across a little bit precious there.

Big Mick

Referee
The wristbands are there to give people a choice. You can still donate money to the bushfire victims if you want, and now you can also donate your energy to Sonny Fai's memory with the proceeds going to his family.

Buying a wristband is more than just a monetary donation. It's a symbol of acknowledgement and appreciation of Sonny Fai's life.

exactly

Latest posts