What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2009

Big Mick

Referee
I think they should be available at all grounds this w/end to show and offer support.

Easier said than done mate.

No corporate sponsor wanted to back us.

We've done this...virtually from my pocket.

I've put up the $1,000 for myself and Dave to get this going...that only gets us 1,100 wristbands...of which..i've sold my 150 already...and Dave has nearly sold his.

Ideally we would have bought 10,000 but i don't have a spare $10,000 to spend...to make this work i'd have to over-extend myself and take out another loan...on top of my mortgage to finance it...again.

Unfortuantely the number of companies i've spoken too...just don't want to help us. Its very sad to think that a cause as worthy as this...is not cared about by corporate australia/new zealand.

We want this to be bigger...but if we are to make it so...it'd pretty much make me bankrupt.

perverse

Referee
i groaned when they announced rusty on the show... but as said by all and sundry, the bloke was all class and had some really valuable input.

perverse

Referee

I've put up the $1,000 for myself and Dave to get this going...that only gets us 1,100 wristbands...of which..i've sold my 150 already...and Dave has nearly sold his.

Ideally we would have bought 10,000 but i don't have a spare $10,000 to spend...to make this work i'd have to over-extend myself and take out another loan...on top of my mortgage to finance it...again.

Unfortuantely the number of companies i've spoken too...just don't want to help us. Its very sad to think that a cause as worthy as this...is not cared about by corporate australia/new zealand.

We want this to be bigger...but if we are to make it so...it'd pretty much make me bankrupt.
you've done a great job mate. well done.

Kiki

First Grade
dont worry mick, you've done everything you could. it's probably bad timing with the financial crisis and all, alot of companies dont have money to spare.

cronker

Juniors
Tonight's was the first time that I have felt that the NRL version of the Footy Show wiped the floor with the AFL version.

Here in Adelaide, for years we have had to suffer through the "antics" of Sam Newman and his dipsh*t ilk to get to the in-depth in's-outs of the teams, some decent discussion of the game and then the tips from the panel.

Then, in my town, we wait until 1am to get the NRL version. Last year, I almost gave up staying up late for it. The NRL show was juvenile, unfunny and seriously lacking in anything remotely interesting to us league fans. It might be OK to throw out a light entertainment show at 9.30pm in Sydney and Brisbane, but when us fans in SA, NT and WA are forced to wait a further 3 hours to see the show, we get fairly sh*tty when it contains no footy information at all, relegated alas to endless "comedy" skits by wank Harragon and Mario.

I admire Ch9's effort tonight. The show is sharper, more issue and game-centric and has a definite talent in Voss. I agree that his push of the stupid DVD thing was overblown, but I reckon he was briefed to keep it a bit light, rather than expose his bullish journo tendencies. I have witnessed Voss get on his soapbox about league, and it's not what the show needs.

Umm... Crowe for NRL CEO?
Gallop towed the company line, made no attempt to put himself across as a strong leader and basically spent his whole time on the show quoting himself from his media releases.
I think Gallop should be a regular on the show, every week answering the questions that inevitably will come up during the course of the season. He did himself no favours tonight.

All in all, I liked the first episode very much, I hope they continue down the course of talking about footy rather than imposing their own unfunny skit show upon us.

Broncobuster

Went to The Footy Show Tonight and got to talk to Andrew Voss on our way out and I told him I was new on a Rugby League Forum and a lot of people there were interested to see the new version of the show. He was less than complimentary about forum readers etc.

Wrote a detailed recollection of our conversation and deleted it! I'd rather be positive about the footy starting tomorrow night.

Last edited:

MattJ

Juniors
I thought the new format was a vast improvement, the best footy show in years and years.
The quality of guest panelists may determine how good the rest of the series is, but definitely a great start and a big step in the right direction.

Brutus

Referee
I'd like to see Roy Masters have the odd guest appearance during the year.

It would really sharpen the show up and give it much needed credo. Plus Roy does have a witty side as well.

Last edited:

You've done more than enough mate.

Congratulations.

on maximus,

liked his ideas regading revenue sharing. our comp is too brutal to have midweek games and 32 fixtures. however the idea is a pretty good one. the season constantly builds.

Azkatro

First Grade
Did anyone else notice, during the sombre, serious interview at the start of the show, that the idiots in the band played Just Dance by Lady Ga Ga when David Gallop came out? I mean how f**king stupid is that? Other than that, excellent show I thought.

The Preacher

First Grade
I thought the show was a mile above the pathetic efforts of previous years. Just one whinge though, when you have to debunk at 4-45am the late finish makes it a bastard of a morning.
I agree with Brutus re Thirsty Masters, if you're going to have a show that actually talks footy, he'd be an excellent regular guest.

petetheileet

First Grade
Did anyone else notice, during the sombre, serious interview at the start of the show, that the idiots in the band played Just Dance by Lady Ga Ga when David Gallop came out? I mean how f**king stupid is that? Other than that, excellent show I thought.

HAHAHA ROFL and Gallop walked out 5 seconds too early which didnt help the cause.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
At last some league talk.
Agree with most re improvement on the show.
With Voss and Johns now on everything footy on 9 we may get jack of them by round 8 but lets see.
How did it rate btw?

Latest posts