What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2009

Solid

Juniors
- The product promotion, endorsments, product marketing etc is getting redicluous. The program needs to find methods of funding that dont involve the host looking like dipsh*ts each week pretending they approve a product.

Also for those interested
Robbie Fowlers finest moment:

Robbie Fowler's ill judged line-sniff against Everton in 1999 earned him a four match ban as well as a club imposed £32,000 fine. An amount not to be sniffed at.

http://www.virginmedia.com/sport/football/galleries/goal-celebration.php?ssid=8

Dee

Juniors
I much preferred them talking about 'soccer' than all the wanking about the Broncos and Queensland legends though :( Bringing up those old moments like 1994 game 1. Why not game 2 and 3 from 1994? oh that's right we smashed them in those games.
1 episode in the entire season they actually talk about how awesome a team is apart from NSW, and you're already complaining about it! I listen to them blow their load over NSW every week FFS! For once they actually gave QLD credit! Maybe when they talked about the NSW and QLD line ups it made you a little upset, realising that you're gunna get absolutely slaughtered for the 4th year running!! :)

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/04/09/67921_gold-coast-top-story.html

Coast AFL on league's Footy Show

April 9th, 2009

THE encroachment of AFL into traditional rugby league areas such as the Gold Coast, will be debated on Channel 9's Footy Show tonight.

Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle will join the Paul Vautin, Matty Johns and Andrew Voss to talk about how AFL is making inroads into the NRL's traditional followers as well as league plans for expansion and the game's ownership.

The granting of a licence to the GC17 AFL team and the announcement of State funding for a new AFL stadium has rocked the NRL establishment, which is fighting to maintain its hold.

Also on the show will be departing Parramatta Eels halfback Brett Finch.

Finch will join the panel to discuss the reasons behind his shock release from the Eels and the latest on his playing future.

South Sydney Rabbitohs and Kiwi captain Roy Asotasi will also join the show to talk about life on top of the NRL ladder.

The Footy Show screens at 9.30pm.

I've enjoyed 90% of it so far this year, the Percy Le Bonc is the 10% that I loathe with a passion, also not a fan of the other sports section....

bartman

Immortal
It's been better than the crap they dished up most of last year.

But I'm heading out tonight and I can't say I'm rtoo worried about missing it.

Does anyone thing it'll be a Finchy love fest like the DT is, or will it be slightly more balanced...?

El Diablo

Post Whore

Does anyone thing it'll be a Finchy love fest like the DT is, or will it be slightly more balanced...?

be a Finch love fest

Didgi

be a Finch love fest

God I hope not, they get a guest on and ask them the same bloody questions over and over, then leave them sitting there for 1/2 an hour while they talk. It's getting a bit predictable, and Matt John's alter egos aren't funny any more.

Bring on the Maltese Falcon!

Cloud9

Jacquelin Magnay would have looked alright in her hey day.
Gus Gould has a crush on her.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Jacquelin Magnay would have looked alright in her hey day.
Gus Gould has a crush on her.

The whole Footy Show structure is pathetic and genuinely damages the code as its representative show.

Matt Johns is still using the Footy Show to launch his own "comedy skits" show. But, he is now simply ripping off Sam Newman with street interviews. Yet, in true LCD fashion, it's not witty, it's usually based around either some mentally geniused person or an immigrant who can't speak English - for a cheap laugh. No wonder Sterlo side-stepped it.

They are so guilty of limp-wristed tokenism - Magnay is there because she's a woman. To followe through with dedicated "tokens", the Footy Show should have the following:
  • Magnay, Wilson, Gerry Harvey's wife, a cheerleader - token woman;
  • One aboriginal player - token indigenous
  • Hasem El Masri - token Muslim
  • Big Willie - token ADHD sufferer
  • Anthony Watmough - token mentally disabled
  • David Gallop - token News Limited rep pretending he gives a sh*te about the game.
If you're gonan do token rubbish, do it properly.

Vossy seems to have a bit of a dig at players and tries to knuckle down and be serious, fatty's generally a straight shooter when its serious time but Matty......... He'll turn it somehow.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=799695

NRL Footy Show - have your say

Get informed on Thursday's episode of The Footy Show…

Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle is passionate about the future of rugby league and is on an administrative structure committee. It includes a number of CEO’s but not the NRL administration.

The NRL is half owned by News Limited and half owned by the ARL. If ever News Limited left the game under the current partnership agreement its stake in the NRL would go to the clubs.

Searle’s committee has been discussing ways in which News Limited might step back and have the game run by another body such as a commission. Searle has met with News Limited and has had some discussions with people from the ARL - but the ARL insist he is yet to put any real proposal to the ARL. The ARL and news have both said they would consider any proposal.

The NRL Partnership controls the Telstra Premiership along with broadcasting and key revenue rights around the Telstra Premiership and key rep matches in Australia (not including the World Cups). The ARL controls representative matches, all development and state competitions. NRL staffers assist the ARL in these roles to provide a uniform approach. The NRL and ARL have focussed in the meantime on getting the leagues working more closely over the years and have been actively involved in providing funding for projects across the game through the NRL partnership.

Michael will discuss the Titans, AFL encroachment, game expansion and ownership tonight on the show.

Send your questions for Michael Searle and the Footy Show panel ...click here.

Also on this week's show –

* Brett Finch on why he left the Parramatta Eels

* Rabbitohs enforcer Roy Asotasi

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
Michael Searle is good value... I hope they give him more screen time than *Waaaahh*Finch.

Didgi

I would give a lot for Fatty to say "...and you had a little cry over being shifted to hooker and left..."

Cloud9

The whole Footy Show structure is pathetic and genuinely damages the code as its representative show.

Matt Johns is still using the Footy Show to launch his own "comedy skits" show. But, he is now simply ripping off Sam Newman with street interviews. Yet, in true LCD fashion, it's not witty, it's usually based around either some mentally geniused person or an immigrant who can't speak English - for a cheap laugh. No wonder Sterlo side-stepped it.

They are so guilty of limp-wristed tokenism - Magnay is there because she's a woman. To followe through with dedicated "tokens", the Footy Show should have the following:
  • Magnay, Wilson, Gerry Harvey's wife, a cheerleader - token woman;
  • One aboriginal player - token indigenous
  • Hasem El Masri - token Muslim
  • Big Willie - token ADHD sufferer
  • Anthony Watmough - token mentally disabled
  • David Gallop - token News Limited rep pretending he gives a sh*te about the game.
If you're gonan do token rubbish, do it properly.

I wouldn't call it tokenism. Its affirmative action intended to make the game look more family friendly.
It's a vast improvement than the boyz club it was before.
Magnay should take turns doing the one on one interviews with Gus to appear less token.

I caught a bit of the AFL version, and its gone downhill. Same Newman looks like a cat with all his plastic surgery, i can't look at him without squirming. It's all very blokey marketed at the yobbo demographic. Mark Brayshaw is trying to carve himself as the next Eddie McGuire. Their career paths are uncannily similar.

wittyfan

Referee
With the AFL version very much on the slide now as well in the ratings you'd think the Footy Show will be gone by next year.

Flapper

First Grade
At least Voss is putting the pressure on Finch, as much as Matty Johns wants to crawl up his backside.

Latest posts