What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ghost of Corey Hughes

Quicksilver

Bench
Another game from Brailey with zero craft in the final 10, zero attempts to burrow over and not even a single glance to see if there’s an opportunity for himself to score. It kills us.

I'm not judging a player by burrow over attempts.

Surely that's a play that you only do when the opportunity presents.

A failed burrow over results in all but two defenders unchallenged, and another attacking attempt against a defensive line that has had an age to get set.

Chimp

Bench
I'm not judging a player by burrow over attempts.

Surely that's a play that you only do when the opportunity presents.

A failed burrow over results in all but two defenders unchallenged, and another attacking attempt against a defensive line that has had an age to get set.
It’s not just burrow over attempts though - it’s ’eyes up’. He doesn’t even scan what’s in front of him, he knows who’s getting the ball before the previous play is even complete, there’s nothing spontaneous about his play in the final 10.
To NEVER go for a burrow over shows this. There were a couple of occasions on Thursday where there was a great opportunity to dart himself - the fact he never doe, regardless of what’s in front him, means the defenders don’t have to defend him - it heaps pressure on the first receiver and allows their whole defensive unit to shift.

Frenzy.

Immortal
It’s not just burrow over attempts though - it’s ’eyes up’. He doesn’t even scan what’s in front of him, he knows who’s getting the ball before the previous play is even complete, there’s nothing spontaneous about his play in the final 10.
To NEVER go for a burrow over shows this. There were a couple of occasions on Thursday where there was a great opportunity to dart himself - the fact he never doe, regardless of what’s in front him, means the defenders don’t have to defend him - it heaps pressure on the first receiver and allows their whole defensive unit to shift.
He could try a burrow over I suppose. At 80kgs though I don't foresee much success there.

Just sell him and buy Cheese. He's on the outer

They all seem to be more about the next tackle with and without the ball, you see it if there's a chance of an offload for us they're all getting in position for the next play as if the current play is dead or if an opposition player is standing in a tackle ie jordan riki the other week they're more worried about getting onside than someone trying to put the player on the deck or get up on the player who receives the offload.

Over coached maybe?

Frenzy.

Immortal
They all seem to be more about the next tackle with and without the ball, you see it if there's a chance of an offload for us they're all getting in position for the next play as if the current play is dead or if an opposition player is standing in a tackle ie jordan riki the other week they're more worried about getting onside than someone trying to put the player on the deck or get up on the player who receives the offload.

Over coached maybe?
Or under Xed.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWYZ

Sharks alphabet.

How about grubber into in goal Ennis would do this now and then, do it just enough defenders have to stop and think

Chimp

Bench
How about grubber into in goal Ennis would do this now and then, do it just enough defenders have to stop and think
Exactly… anything, just do something every now and then. It doesn’t need to pay off, it doesn’t need to even be effective, but he has to do something to keep the markers and A defenders interested in him.

I recall him doing that plenty of times in his first couple of seasons.
Now it seems all the tricks have been put away.
Is he instructed to not overplay his hand?
Overplay, I am yet to see him play his hand.
Maybe he is waiting for us to make GF then plays his hand

SharkShocked

Bench
Brailey also used to do this and kick out of DH now and again.

Currently it’s Nichos team and Brailey just hands it off.

We need more of a mixup at present to take some pressure and targeting off Nicho in that department.

bluefox68

Staff member
Brailey also used to do this and kick out of DH now and again.

Currently it’s Nichos team and Brailey just hands it off.

We need more of a mixup at present to take some pressure and targeting off Nicho in that department.
I’ve seen Nicho blow up a couple of times at Brailz - for not giving him the ball - maybe this is a coaching point - share the load…!

Latest posts