What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The jack wighton hype

Wb1234

Referee
I mean, when we are literally talking about a player leaving for less money, the idea of salary cap exemption isn't exactly going to help Canberra's case here.

No doubt there are challenges for Canberra's recruitment and retention, but I don't think a salary cap exemption is necessarily the best solution. I think a bigger factor is the culture at the club, which - from an outsider's perspective - is happy with mediocrity and keeping "old boys" around.
True but they would have a stronger squad overall which might’ve encouraged him to stay as they were a chance at a grand final

the salary cap doesn’t work anymore the fact players take unders to go to successful clubs is the biggest culprits

maybe a third of the nrl clubs aren’t desireable and either have to do with dregs or pay huge overs for good players

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If the NRL or Canberra want to chuck a stink about it, Wighton's management should just come right out and say it: Jack took unders to join a club that will actually give the premiership a genuine crack before he's too old to win one. I would do it just to see the stupid constipated face Stuart pulls after hearing it.

Personally I think Souffs nailed it as far as what his real worth is. It's hardly his fault Canberra were stupid and paid him a million a year.

Wb1234

Referee
Nrl refused to register turiqi at south’s for 200k

they could assess the 800k pa as way under and make him under the cap at market value

yobbo84

Coach
I am very much looking forward to the next NRL360 and seeing Paul Kent blow a valve

Should be great viewing
Oh he didn't disappoint. Even had to apologise to Souths after a commercial break, maybe got a quiet word from the lawyers lol

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Tonight I put on NRL360 for the first time intentionally in the hope of a Paul Kent 'free Britney Sticky' style breakdown.

It was absolutely fabulous. I'm pretty sure they threw to commercials because Souths lawyers were on the phone loooooooool

yobbo84

Coach
Paul Kent: **makes a profound accusation as if it's fact to manipulate his audience**

Paul Kent: 2 mins later: "It WaS sPeCuLaTiOn, FoR ThE NuCkLe HeAdS oUt ThErE!!"

Imagine Sticky at home watching this trainwreck. "Get em, Kenty!!"
Of all clubs to potentially make libellous comments toward, the club whose long-standing and well-respected chairman is a LAWYER WHO LED THE CASE TO DEFEAT NEWS LTD IN COURT AND GET US BACK IN THE COMPETITION is probably not the one to go at

Tonight I put on NRL360 for the first time intentionally in the hope of a Paul Kent 'free Britney Sticky' style breakdown.

It was absolutely fabulous. I'm pretty sure they threw to commercials because Souths lawyers were on the phone loooooooool

If you watch Fox Sports News they showed the highlight of the NRL360 "discussion" about the Wighton contract. Even the other two News Ltds hacks, one of whom was James Hooper, couldn't believe the way Kent was carrying on. They sounded considered, reasonable, fair and rational by comparison. Kent admitted for all his bluster saying the salary cap was broken, he had no evidence to say anything was wrong.

The whole issue started wwhen some idiot at the NRL decided on the "notional" value when Folau wanted to sign with Parramatta. In all honesty, it was a stupid decision and the carry on about this and the salary cap "not working" is just rubbish. The salary capo was designed with one purpose, to stop clubs spending themselves broke. I mean after the mid to late 1980s financial issues experienced by Newtown (who went bust), Western Suburbs (who went close) and Cronulla was why it came in. It was not designed as a talent equaliser. Never has been in any league which has one anywhere in the world.

Also in many sports that do have salary caps, such as the NFL, it is quite common for players who have been big money players on teams which have not had much success in the playoffs to take a substantial paycut and sign with a contender hoping to win a championship. Wighton is no different. He wants to win a comp, and without disrespecting the Raiders, under its current coach, with its roster, does anyone think it will be contending for a premiership in the next 2-3 years?

To me this is a bigger picture than it being Souths signed him, or there is something underhand going on. How many Raiders supporters on this board have been, and are critical of how the Raiders are currently run? That is why they struggle to attract players from other clubs in my book. Players want to play for a good coach, on a team that is a contender on the whole. Some will only look at the money, but eventually they will want the chance to win a competition.

(Edited to fix some typos caused by a new keyboard which has some keys not quite responsive)

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
To be fair to Kent he’s just saying what 90% of fans think
I think it's probably higher than 90%

Kent is actually correct in saying the deal smells, but the way he carries on like a raving lunatic, and the fact he's best mates with sticky makes anything he says impossible to look at objectively, even though in this instance he's correct.

Didn't Wighton say he wanted to "test the market"? First time I've seen a player test the market, and take a significantly lower price than what he was offered.

I get that he wants to play with Mitchell, and Souths do have a large indigenous presence within the community, so maybe that's another thing which attracted him to the club, but I haven't seen too many players in my time take such significant unders

Canard

Immortal
The NRL used to have a blurb on their website specifically relating to the salary cap stating players can sign with a club for less due to a better coach or premiership chance.

This has to be bullshit or you misrembering.

Latest posts