What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Langer era: ODI 24-22, T20 24-2-22 Tests 15-5-7

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...w/news-story/120a36d5c99fd6662678d681167fe30e

Justin Langer admits nobody is banging the door down as he mulls how to fix both Australia’s top six and a national batting crisis. Langer has added Marnus Labuschagne to what is now a 14-man squad for the fourth Test against India. Labuschagne is expected to take Mitch Marsh’s place in the XI that folded in Melbourne, where the tourists retained the Border-Gavaskar trophy by snatching a 2-1 series lead.

Peter Handscomb may also earn a recall for the SCG series finale, although Langer’s description of Aaron Finch as “a really good player” and “great in the team” suggests the under-fire opener will be spared the axe. However, Finch could yet be demoted down the order as Langer and Tim Paine discuss the best plan for Australia to avoid suffering their first Test series loss at home to India. Regardless of how much Langer tinkers before the fourth Test starts on Thursday, it’s clear there are big batting problems that extend beyond the squad. “Try being a selector at the moment,” Langer told reporters. “We’ve got to be careful not to reward poor performances but … it’s not as if the guys are absolutely banging the door down. “Most of our batters knocking on the door are averaging in the 30s (in the Sheffield Shield).” Usman Khawaja’s century in Dubai remains the only Test hundred scored by any Australian in almost a year, a horror slump that highlights how much the team relied on banned superstars Steve Smith and David Warner. The top six’s collapses of 3-29 and 3-13 in Australia’s first innings at the MCG effectively ended their hopes of defeating India in the series.

Steve Waugh and Shane Warne headline the greats to have condemned Cricket Australia for devaluing grade and Shield cricket, a topic covered in The Ethics Centre’s independent report. Langer acknowledged recent results suggest domestic players are not being adequately prepared to make the step up. “The art of batting, we’ve got some work to do,” Langer said. “Whether it’s the system … whether it’s something we’ve got to change in our psyche, I’m not sure. It’s something everyone is looking at.” Pat Cummins and Aaron Finch. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)Source:Getty Images FINCH ‘WORKING HARDER THAN EVER’ The former Test opener, renowned for putting a high price on his wicket, seemingly remains adamant Finch can make the cut in Test cricket after a couple of sloppy dismissals. Langer noted Finch was having a lean run but also highlighted a pivotal 112-run opening stand in Perth that delivered Australia its first Test win since the Cape Town cheating scandal. “He’s working harder probably than he’s ever worked … he’ll be better for this period,” Langer said. “He’s the only guy playing all three forms of the game (for Australia) … he’s got to somehow recharge his batteries over and over and over again. It’s a great challenge.”

BANCROFT INTERVIEW ADDS TO ‘SOAP OPERA’ Langer was asked about Cameron Bancroft’s explosive Boxing Day interview, where the banned opener discussed David Warner’s role in the ball-tampering scandal. Langer labelled the interview a “distraction”, adding the continued headlines added to the “soap opera we’re in every day”. “I feel like the director of a soap opera,” Langer said. “I honestly do.” Bancroft was out for two in his return to domestic cricket in the Perth Scorchers’ defeat against Hobart in the Big Bash on Sunday night. Warner and Steve Smith are eligible to return on March 29. “Coaching is about man management and looking after people, caring for people, and that was just another distraction last week,” Langer said. “There’s a really good process in place that we’re going to go through to get the boys back in the team, I liked seeing Cameron play last night.”

Looks like Finch is in the team forever

The whole “nobody banging down the door” thing is correct, but also misleading.

There’s several guys who are better performed domestically than the ones we are picking, seems pretty obvious to pivot to those guys.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We have plenty of players with decent averages for this season after 6 games.

Joe Burns 47.2 (better option than Fatty Finch)
Tom Cooper 45.5
Mark Harris 71.5 (already in the team)
Moises Henriques 41.2
Dan Hughes 46.2 (another better option than Fatty Finch for mine)
Nick Larkin 49.4
Jake Lehman 46.1
Nick Maddinson 172 (1 innings only)
Sean Marsh 88.6
Glen Maxwell 42.0 (2 games only)
Michael Neser 52.0
Kurt Patterson 47.5 (ideal no 5 or 6)
Will Pukovski 103.6 (2 games only)
Marcus Stoinis 42.5
Scissorhands 63.4
Cameron White 41.8

also

Finch 25.5 (why was he picked)
Oozie 29.5
Head 33.8
Labuschange 28.2
Levers 37.7

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting.html?id=12452;type=tournament

To say that no one else is an option is bullshit, Burns, Hughes, Patterson, Cooper and Larkin have all been in better form than half of our batsmen. Even Scissorhands has shown some decent form but as well know he's been tried and dropped and only a matter of time till he goes back to his proven form.

Also Henriques form has been considerably better than Levers but I still wouldn't pick him as I dont think he's good enough. He's a batsmen who can bowl a bit.

There is no excuse for retaining Finch, Labuschange and the Marsh sisters for mine. These guys I highlighted above may not be banging the door down but they are sill better than who we are currently picking.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Our bats fail at SCG we need a big revamp for SL series with view to the ashes

SMarsh has been a disappointing, as well as Khawaja. These two are our Pujara and Kholi as silly as that sounds

We need to stIck with Marcus Harris for a bit and groom him to get better at test level. Potential is there

Burns, Wade and Patterson need to be drafted in for the SL series for mine

Id go

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Patterson
Head - last chance (otherwise Smith will replace)
Wade - career best form, easily the form batsman (or Maxwell) Maybe SMarsh to 6?

Last edited:
Our bats fail at SCG we need a big revamp for SL series with view to the ashes

SMarsh has been a disappointing, as well as Khawaja. These two are our Pujara and Kholi as silly as that sounds

We need to stIck with Marcus Harris for a bit and groom him to get better at test level. Potential is there

Burns, Wade and Patterson need to be drafted in for the SL series for mine

Id go

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Patterson
Head - last chance (otherwise Smith will replace)
Wade - career best form, easily the form batsman (or Maxwell) Maybe SMarsh to 6?

I’m not sold on Harris, they’ve really found a weak spot with the short ball. Plus I look at his FC career average, over 50 matches and its only 35.

Renshaw remains the best long term opening option. Even though his shield form was poor.

I like Wade, Patterson & Burns coming in.

I’d seriously consider Renshaw, though. He killed it in country cricket last year, I think we’d really benefit from guys who know those English conditions. Thought he was hard done by in the UAE.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I’m not sold on Harris, they’ve really found a weak spot with the short ball. Plus I look at his FC career average, over 50 matches and its only 35.

Renshaw remains the best long term opening option. Even though his shield form was poor.

I like Wade, Patterson & Burns coming in.

I’d seriously consider Renshaw, though. He killed it in country cricket last year, I think we’d really benefit from guys who know those English conditions. Thought he was hard done by in the UAE.

Yeah im not sold on Harris either, but we need to give some of these young guys a bit of a run, otherwise its Renshaw all over again

I like Renshaw a lot, but he is going crap compared to a few others. Gets some Shield runs he should be on the ashes tour

Yeah im not sold on Harris either, but we need to give some of these young guys a bit of a run, otherwise its Renshaw all over again

I like Renshaw a lot, but he is going crap compared to a few others. Gets some Shield runs he should be on the ashes tour

I hate that when a guy gets stiffed & then their form falls to shit.

Harris I’d give the rest of the summer, but unless he shows more you can’t take him to England.

Opener is the only spot we actually have some depth.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Harris couldn't even get a game for WA, so he went to Victoria where anyone can get a game.

Scissorhands did the same thing when he couldn't get a game for Tassie

Some of these guys go through a purple patch and get selected for Australia but they eventually get found out in the long term.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Averages 19 in Shield cricket this season, I get that some people want to stick with him but he has to do a bit more to be in the discussion for mine.

Picking him when he is out of form may do him more damage than good

Averages 19 in Shield cricket this season, I get that some people want to stick with him but he has to do a bit more to be in the discussion for mine.

Picking him when he is out of form may do him more damage than good

At the moment I think we need to consider things beyond temporary form, it’s 6 matches.

He had a good season in county cricket, he had a good season in shield last year. He averages more in test cricket than Harris, Finch, Mitch Marsh.

He’s clearly a classy player.

Bazal

Post Whore
Harris couldn't even get a game for WA, so he went to Victoria where anyone can get a game.

Scissorhands did the same thing when he couldn't get a game for Tassie

Some of these guys go through a purple patch and get selected for Australia but they eventually get found out in the long term.

We shouldn't be worrying about the long term right now. We should be saving this series and making sure we beat Sri Lanka, then we can focus on putting the right players around Smith when he returns. And that f**khead Warner, if they're stupid enough to bring him back.

I'm not a Wade fan, but he should be playing in Sydney.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
At the moment I think we need to consider things beyond temporary form, it’s 6 matches.

He had a good season in county cricket, he had a good season in shield last year. He averages more in test cricket than Harris, Finch, Mitch Marsh.

He’s clearly a classy player.

who is sadly out of form,

Shield cricket is the place to regain some form not the Aussie team, baggy greens need to be earned in my opinion

who is sadly out of form,

Shield cricket is the place to regain some form not the Aussie team, baggy greens need to be earned in my opinion

He did earn it, in the shield 2017/18 & Country cricket 2018.

We have the ashes coming up, form in England seems pretty relevant to me. This is the mistake we continually make in England, not picking guys who are used to the conditions & bowlers who can exploit the conditions.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He did earn it, in the shield 2017/18 & Country cricket 2018.

We have the ashes coming up, form in England seems pretty relevant to me. This is the mistake we continually make in England, not picking guys who are used to the conditions & bowlers who can exploit the conditions.

I get that you want him in the team but this isn't 2017/2018

We made the same mistake when we picked Buck Rogers to fill in for Langer/Hayden when he topped the Shield batting averages in the prior season but couldn't buy a run prior to his selection that current season, hence he made 2 single figure failures

_snafu_

Immortal
We shouldn't be worrying about the long term right now. We should be saving this series and making sure we beat Sri Lanka, then we can focus on putting the right players around Smith when he returns. And that f**khead Warner, if they're stupid enough to bring him back.

I'm not a Wade fan, but he should be playing in Sydney.

I agree in terms of Wade. If they select on Shield form he has to play.

The problem lies deeper than grass-roots, talent pool and selections.

The players and ex players absolutely detest CA. That pay dispute 18 months ago as well as the way cricket has been run and organised in this country has driven a massive wedge between the two parties and The Ashes victory last summer papered over the festering cracks.

People take aim at the core group but CA is the problem. From top to bottom. Everything we complain about is exactly what they dislike too.

It certainly will make good reading in 10-20 years.

On a side note, my wife laughed last night saying there were more ex Australian test players in the BBL than the test squad. Noting how many were chewed up and spat out.

Maxwell
Wade
Faulkner
Ferguson
Sayers
Mennie
Pattinson
Watson
Doolan
Renshaw
Burns
Henriques
O'Keefe
Cartwright
Bancroft
Maddinson
Holland
Nevill
Bailey
Agar
Bird
White

Not included Siddle, Handscomb, Lanuschagne

It reminds of 1984-86.

So basically we need to head back to the cricket academy days finding andvgrooming talent.