What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Latest in Coaching Musical Chairs - NRL Style...

Haffa

granted, it's not a good club-club comparison. my point is more about management. ferguson is revered as being one of the greatest managers in any sport. he left a winner and the club in great shape. the club's demise was immediate after his retirement
Yeah that’s a bit of a myth. He left Wayne Bennett style with a club on the decline

Mario chalmers

Juniors
TBH, i hadn't thought of the possibility that Cleary was told to sign Farah. If he being dictated to who to sign then I can see why he wants out. Apart from thr other obvious reasons.
Disagree with Front Rower. The Farah signing was Ivan's doing. When Marina Go was interviewed on League Life in August she said repeatedly that "ivan has had full control of everything all season" or words to that effect.

When Ivan signed Farah he said publically that the contract is for the 'remainder of 2018 only."

Ivan softened on this for reasons that are not abundantly clear. I think objectively, its fair to say Farah played ok but not well enough. We lost many games we should have won and failed to make the finals. The results did not warrant another year of Farah and Marshall.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Yes, it’s a little to coincidental that Marshall pushed Farah’s case in the first place. Like I said, old habits die hard.

Then the response from the board was “we back the coach”. A few weeks later he is talking to Gould and co. and Farah is signed for 2019...

Join the dots..

EDIT - don’t forget Cleary benches Farah as well during games at the very backend of the season to bring Liddle on.
Ivan was outspoken in his support for the Farah signing.
I believe (but don't know for sure) that the WT board did not know the extent of Ivan's commitment to Penrith when the club signed Farah and Marshall for 2019. If the board did know then they would not have signed any of the players they have done in the last 2 months

dogslife

Coach
Would be interested to see if Des is welcomed back by Manly fans after the flaming he copped when he left

firechild

First Grade
Would be interested to see if Des is welcomed back by Manly fans after the flaming he copped when he left

I wouldn't say he'd be welcomed back with open arms but considering the alternatives, I don't think too many Manly fans would want to turn him away. That said, you'd be hard pressed to find a Manly fan that didn't want Toovey there before him. There isn't a coach in the NRL that has stronger ties to a club than Toovey does at Manly.

Exsilium

First Grade
I wouldn't say he'd be welcomed back with open arms but considering the alternatives, I don't think too many Manly fans would want to turn him away. That said, you'd be hard pressed to find a Manly fan that didn't want Toovey there before him. There isn't a coach in the NRL that has stronger ties to a club than Toovey does at Manly.

Toovey should never have lost his job.

It highlights the dumb f**kery that is the manly board and ownership

Life's Good

Coach
Then why isn’t Toovey in the reckoning? I don’t recall him unloading on the Penns or Zorba as it was happening or since(unless I missed it).
I know fans don’t choose the coach but surely to mend fences you would seriously consider Toovey seeing he seemed to handle the job quite well after Hasler.

t-ba

Post Whore
He backed the wrong faction, and had a few run ins with staff and players.

There's more detail than that which we aren't privy to but that's basically it.

big hit!

Bench
Yeah that’s a bit of a myth. He left Wayne Bennett style with a club on the decline

he won a League title in his last season! the bloke was always looking 4 years ahead when it came to the squad.

moyes' mindset was at odds with ferguson's. that's where the decline came. it was a bad appointment to succeed ferguson. moyes made his name by grafting with Everton's inferior squad. he then got some decent cattle to play with and didn't know how to manage them.

Pommy

Coach
he won a League title in his last season! the bloke was always looking 4 years ahead when it came to the squad.

moyes' mindset was at odds with ferguson's. that's where the decline came. it was a bad appointment to succeed ferguson. moyes made his name by grafting with Everton's inferior squad. he then got some decent cattle to play with and didn't know how to manage them.

Yes Fergy won a title in his last season and that is what history will remember.
But that year the competition were all out of sorts, that side had no business winning a PL title.
Plus Moyes was Fergys appointment, hence the title ‘the chosen one’.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Seems that Tigers want Bennett but only if for next year. Bennett is happy to go there but wants to coach Brisbane next year so he can finish what he started. Maguire looking more likely as he’s available to start immediately.

super_coach

First Grade
Seems that Tigers want Bennett but only if for next year. Bennett is happy to go there but wants to coach Brisbane next year so he can finish what he started. Maguire looking more likely as he’s available to start immediately.

I think the Bronks would love to see Wayne Go now if they can get the right man to take over, although they may be a tad nervous at the possibility of a couple of players following him out the door

Fire

First Grade
I'd give my left nut to see what Jason Demetriou could do with an NRL team.

I don't care which team it is, that dude deserves a shot...

The Rosco

Bench
One more thing Bennet can bring to the poor ole WT . . . . the instruction book on how to rort TPA's.
THAT is worth waiting for.
And if it's a first edition signed by Politis . . . even better !!!!!!!

Vic Mackey

Referee
One more thing Bennet can bring to the poor ole WT . . . . the instruction book on how to rort TPA's.
THAT is worth waiting for.
And if it's a first edition signed by Politis . . . even better !!!!!!!

He’s in for a rude shock, we can’t afford to rort TPAs

The Rosco

Bench
He’s in for a rude shock, we can’t afford to rort TPAs
Great thinking Vic !!!
Let everyone think we can't afford TPA's.
So if and when Bennet gets here, nobody will suspect anything !
Brilliant. I'm sure that's what the Roosters official line is as well.
"Yeah, we can't afford TPA's. Or BMW's. Or MG's. or any of them letter thingy's" ;);)

johns_reds

First Grade

Latest posts