What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah nah mate.

Niukore pleaded guilty to a grade-two careless high tackle on James Tedesco rather than risking a three-match penalty at the judiciary panel.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/07/round-9-nrl-judiciary-charges/

Marata led with the shoulder, no doubt, but it wasn't a shoulder charge.

Teddy dropped into the tackle, call it falling slipping or whatever, but if he doesn't, there is no high contact, so there is no high tackle.

Exactly like last night. Well be reckless or careless contact instead of high tackle

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
In the 3 recent hits on Tedesco (this, Niukore, and Pereira) he’s been falling for various reasons..

The Roosters have been pretty good with player welfare but I wonder what they are doing (if anything) about Tedesco stumbling... I’m not blaming him for anything but the common theme in all these tackles is Tedesco falling just before impact...

images
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fe4420ff6-fa79-490b-9173-328a1e591f92
In the 3 recent hits on Tedesco (this, Niukore, and Pereira) he’s been falling for various reasons..

The Roosters have been pretty good with player welfare but I wonder what they are doing (if anything) about Tedesco stumbling... I’m not blaming him for anything but the common theme in all these tackles is Tedesco falling just before impact...

images
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fe4420ff6-fa79-490b-9173-328a1e591f92

The below article is why he falls into tackles, he wears short studs on shoes that cause him to slip which he is fully aware that occurs and IF the NRL and roosters cared about player welfare and scared of being sued he should be forced to wear long studs

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ja...-for-ditching-long-studs-20180919-p504pw.html

Maximus

Coach
Genuine question. How are you meant to tackle a bloke running that low?

Especially when a second before that he as running upright.

Unlike the previous 2 where he slipped/fell just before contact, this is a deliberate running style. He reckons it helps him break tackles, so if he is doing it to advantage himself that way, there should be no punishment if it goes wrong.

The below article is why he falls into tackles, he wears short studs on shoes that cause him to slip which he is fully aware that occurs and IF the NRL and roosters cared about player welfare and scared of being sued he should be forced to wear long studs

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ja...-for-ditching-long-studs-20180919-p504pw.html

Ah cheers. And yes someone else posted that story earlier I’ve just seen.

I dunno about forcing him to wear long studs, as I can see the reasoning why he doesn’t. And it’s not mandatory in the rules but...

If he’s not falling into these tackles he simply doesn’t get hit in the head.

I think the powers that be need to be more reasonable that there aside from the result - there are circumstances as to why. Rather than grandstanding about “players need to learn”.... I cringed the first time Annesley said it and that it’s been rolled out again...

I was hoping the Dragons would have contested Perieras charge but saw why they didn’t - they’d never win particularly because of the “PR war” on concussions etc and he’d get a longer term. Contested not to get off, but to explain why the tackle ended up around his head - ie Tedesco stumbled.

Perieras was the first in this “series” and many people went bananas about it. Had it been after these two tackles I think there’d have been more discussion - as there is now - about the ball carrier...

Bandwagon

Staff member
Exactly like last night. Well be reckless or careless contact instead of high tackle

TBH I thought the Marata tackle was worse, and I say that as a Parra fan, it was a bit lazy 'cause he got caught going the wrong way and had to step back to his inside which is always gonna mean there's a lot of weight behind the shoulder pushing in and up through the legs and hips, it's great technique for a solid hit, but he had to get his arms in there. Two weeks was fair enough under the circumstances, the hysteria over it though is just way over the top, because Teddy fell into the tackle, which contributed just as much to the result.

Last nights though I wouldn't even consider Burr did anything wrong there at all, that was a f**king shocking call, short of just completely pulling out of the tackle, which woulda been near impossible, I can't see what he coulda' done to prevent contact. Teddy 's 100% responsible for that tackle becoming a high shot.

franklin2323

Immortal
TBH I thought the Marata tackle was worse, and I say that as a Parra fan, it was a bit lazy 'cause he got caught going the wrong way and had to step back to his inside which is always gonna mean there's a lot of weight behind the shoulder pushing in and up through the legs and hips, it's great technique for a solid hit, but he had to get his arms in there. Two weeks was fair enough under the circumstances, the hysteria over it though is just way over the top, because Teddy fell into the tackle, which contributed just as much to the result.

Last nights though I wouldn't even consider Burr did anything wrong there at all, that was a f**king shocking call, short of just completely pulling out of the tackle, which woulda been near impossible, I can't see what he coulda' done to prevent contact. Teddy 's 100% responsible for that tackle becoming a high shot.

The Marata one you run that risk if you don't have the arms wrapped around the player. Papalli's was similar and was sent off. I don't think it was send off bad prob Sin bin as the player played on.

Burr was a scapegoat for the Bunker's poor form the week before. If they binned both the Parra players then we wouldn't have this BS crackdown

84 Baby

Referee
If they binned both the Parra players then we wouldn't have this BS crackdown
If that were the case then when the NRL say they are protecting the player welfare, the player they are referring to is Tedesco.
I get where the NRL are coming from, but I don’t think the sin bin craze is what’ll fix it.

franklin2323

Immortal
If that were the case then when the NRL say they are protecting the player welfare, the player they are referring to is Tedesco.
I get where the NRL are coming from, but I don’t think the sin bin craze is what’ll fix it.

I get what is behind it but you can't have just a blanket rule in place.

People moan the Send off was dead. Which is true to an extent because when is the last time there was a dog shot or a spear tackle in the game?

I think you can use common sense. Guys like Papalli and Wighton should spend time on the sideline but Townsend and Burr probably a fine if anything.

The Townsend one in particular was a farce. You had a close game and went back gave a penalty for something that was an accident if anything.

No one was injured. The player didn't even hold his neck that stuff makes a mockery of it.

He would be making the decision alone. Is the rules Commitee still around? They had a good mix and a coach or a player on there would bring up such a point

I agree but also reckon that decision would be with lawyers in his ears...

Unsure about the rules committee... which in itself is/was a joke coz the referees are criticised for refereeing “to the rules”... they finally did in early 2018 and everyone howled them down for nitpicking... with chumps like Phil Rothfield howling “we want consistency” while at the same time “we want to let the game flow” - basically overlooking the rules and putting the whistle in the pocket...

It was called a “crackdown” at the time. When in reality, it was simply the referees observing the rules of the sport. Many hated it and it went back to refs putting the whistle away to - as Rothfield cried - “let the game flow”..

You can’t have consistency if you don’t want the referees to obey the rules of the sport. It’s farcical IMO. Change the rules of needed, but FFS obey them..

Rules nowadays have to be “interpreted” by the refs with discretion. No other sport in the world either changes its rules as much, and demands the referees not obey them. Furthermore... no sport in the world has the referees yelling out to players to warn them so no to give away a penalty... effectively coaching them...

But the NRL does...

Generalzod

Immortal
I get what is behind it but you can't have just a blanket rule in place.

People moan the Send off was dead. Which is true to an extent because when is the last time there was a dog shot or a spear tackle in the game?

I think you can use common sense. Guys like Papalli and Wighton should spend time on the sideline but Townsend and Burr probably a fine if anything.

The Townsend one in particular was a farce. You had a close game and went back gave a penalty for something that was an accident if anything.

No one was injured. The player didn't even hold his neck that stuff makes a mockery of it.
Walker tried to milk it he was rubbing his neck before playing the ball.

Valheru

Coach
Yeah nah mate.

Niukore pleaded guilty to a grade-two careless high tackle on James Tedesco rather than risking a three-match penalty at the judiciary panel.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/07/round-9-nrl-judiciary-charges/

Marata led with the shoulder, no doubt, but it wasn't a shoulder charge.

Teddy dropped into the tackle, call it falling slipping or whatever, but if he doesn't, there is no high contact, so there is no high tackle.

I don't care what they charged him with, it was a text book shoulder charge.

Anyways, it doesn't matter if he was falling, it has been a penalty for 10 years.

Exsilium

First Grade
The shoulder charge and forceful contact with the head are two different infringements but often present in the same tackle.

This is where the MRC have been trying to review based on "Intent" and "mitigating factors".

If Teddy, or any other player for that matter, keeps falling into tackles and the MRC begin to use this as a mitigating factor, then we may start seeing a lot of players binned on game day, charged by the MRC as per the process, only to be downgraded successfully later in the week.

Exsilium

First Grade
And if we though Teddy was attracting regular high shots, spare a thought for Jason "Flo" Nightingale who was copping it on the chin every set!!!

He'd have had the Dragons downfield with a penalty every set in 2021.