What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

no name

Coach
‘Players need to learn not to tackle high’ is the biggest cop out ever.
These blokes have had 5, 10, 15 even up 20 years of being taught to wrap the ball the ball up. This involves dominating the upper body of your opponent. If players are attempting to wrap the ball up, as their coaches have insisted on and the player in possession falls, contact is going to be made high. (Along with defenders getting it wrong, which also happens at times) Players will listen to their coach more than they will listen to the ref.
I totally understand where the NRL want to get to but it’s going to take a long time for players to change their technique.

Smug Panther

First Grade
These blokes have had 5, 10, 15 even up 20 years of being taught to wrap the ball the ball up. This involves dominating the upper body of your opponent. If players are attempting to wrap the ball up, as their coaches have insisted on and the player in possession falls, contact is going to be made high. (Along with defenders getting it wrong, which also happens at times) Players will listen to their coach more than they will listen to the ref.
I totally understand where the NRL want to get to but it’s going to take a long time for players to change their technique.
Players like Kikau and David Fafita are going to be literally unstoppable if you can't wrap the ball up

some11

Referee
Holy f**k, Ray Hadley now a regular on NRL 360.

It's like the people running the game are actively doing their best to drive people away from it.
I guess I was blind to what was coming with this clown in charge.

'The company you keep' and all that..

Corner_Post

Juniors
Posted this in the St George forum but thought I would also post it here... I am sick of this shit... first Pereira and now Burr to a falling Tedesco and its his own fault:

f**k sin binnings against Tedesco when he is slipping is giving me the shits! I was reading another forum (Reddit) and even a Roosters supporter notes that if you're slipping/falling then you're not really at fault.

What SHITS me even more is that someone rightly pointed out on the forum that Tedesco wears shorter studs on his shoes and after his ACL injury. I looked up the article and there you go - he even says he doesn't mind slipping if that means he doesn't do his knee again.

So because he slips because he has chosen to wear shorter studs and then gets hits it the head it somehow the tackler's fault? this is f**ked as in the article it is acknowledged that he slips over a lot - so why are other teams penalised for him not being able to keep his feet. As a forumer noted on Reddit, he was low enough to give Burr a BJ or a BurrJob.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ja...-for-ditching-long-studs-20180919-p504pw.html

James Tedesco has good reason for ditching long studs
635402f1698dc5687fb8f98be5c093fe76cbc56f

By Christian Nicolussi
September 19, 2018 — 5.23pm

Sydney Roosters superstar No.1 James Tedesco refuses to wear long studs on his boots for fear of suffering a serious knee injury.

Tedesco will never forget his NRL debut in 2012 when he ruptured his ACL, and made a point of steering clear of lengthy studs that gripped deep into the ground.

Twists and turns: James Tedesco's low centre of gravity and his speed when changing directions are two of the main factors behind his tendency to slip.

Arguably the game's best fullback was spotted slipping over several times against Cronulla in his first finals game – he has often hit the deck when changing direction at full speed all season – but will not tinker with his boots for better grip.

He looked out and admired the surface at Allianz Stadium this week, but knows the cool evening will almost guarantee a dewy deck against South Sydney on Saturday night.

"I don't feel comfortable wearing them too long because of that experience,'' Tedesco told Fairfax Media, in reference to the Leichhardt Oval debut.

"I'd rather slip over than do my ACL again. Obviously it's a pretty vivid memory for me.

"Some of the other boys don't even wear studs and don't slip over.

"Half of it must be mental. Early in the game when I'm thinking 'don't slip', that's when I slip, but when I'm playing footy later in the game I'm sweet.''

He's got so much force going through those hips and backside and legs and sometimes he can come unstuck.

Anthony Minichiello, the former Roosters No.1 pin-up – and the key man who delivered Tedesco to Bondi – said the latest owner of his old jersey was prone to tumble because of the speed and power he generated before he changed direction.

"He's got so much force going through those hips and backside and legs and sometimes he can come unstuck,'' Minichiello said.

"Even though he is prone to slipping over, because he's got a running style where he's so low to the ground and a low centre of gravity, it actually helps him bust tackles.''

Tedesco continues to run for more than 200m a game, the one statistic he takes a keen interest in, but would arguably nudge 300m if he stayed upright.

"He's been up there with the 'Min Cat','' said Minichiello, breaking into his trademark laugh after referencing himself.

"Teddy has been unbelievable for us this year. He was an attacking player, we all knew that, but to get the defensive job done and be the best defensive team after 25 rounds, that's down to his organisation.

"He's becoming the complete player.

"With the form Adam Reynolds is in, it will be a good challenge for both players on Saturday.''

Tedesco and Minichiello remained friends after the 2013 World Cup with Italy, and it was the persistent phone calls from the Roosters legend which eventually led to a coffee date with coach Trent Robinson and club supremo Nick Politis.

"I remember Nick said, 'We want you, it's up to you if you want to come','' Tedesco said.

"Having them want me, and knowing how big a club it is, and having guys like 'Boydo' [Boyd Cordner] who I knew through Origin, I knew it was a good opportunity.

"Mini's guidance was the big factor.

"I always wanted to play in grand finals and win grand finals, we're not there yet, but we're in a good position.''

Roosters fans have the luxury of debating whether Tedesco or Cooper Cronk has been the better buy. All 15 rival clubs would settle for one of them tomorrow.

Tedesco said of his halfback's calming influence at the pointy end of the season: "His experience of being there in the finals, he's been successful in those big games, he knows what to do in these situations. Most games have been won by one point [in recent weeks], and his composure in those sorts of situations is crucial to have – I feel comfortable whenever it's a close game and we have Coops to lead us around.''f**k sin binnings against Tedesco when he is slipping is giving me the shits! I was reading another forum (Reddit) and even a Roosters supporter notes that if you're slipping/falling then you're not really at fault.

Seriously, how much more are we going to nerf this great game before it resembles something else entirely? Surely common sense has to prevail before fans and players start abandoning the game altogether. It's actually embarrassing. I get the feeling that some day we'll be the old guys saying something like "I remember when you were allowed to tackle the opposition".

Rugby League is literally a bunch of 100kg+ men running full steam at each other. These rules are like banning car accidents because they're dangerous. They're still going to happen if you keep sending 2 tonne chunks of metal directly at each other at 110kph one meter apart. Don't wanna risk a crash? Don't drive. Don't wanna risk getting hit in the head? Don't play Rugby League.

This rule is worse than any other in recent memory. It has compromised the spectacle and sullied the product.

franklin2323

Immortal

Put in players now back into defensive lines very easy for it to go wrong and end up as an accidental grapple.

franklin2323

Immortal
this one again, have a disclaimer players have to sign. No sport has yet been successfully sued other than nfl and they lost because they hid the evidence from the players therefore not affording them informed choice, not because their game was dangerous. How many boxers have sued boxing and they have been getting this dementia forever. We used to call it punch drunk before the term CTE came along. If you know that playing professional RL runs the risk of injury and you decide to take it up as your career then the risks come with it. This is just a massive Vlandys knee jerk and his rhetoric is just fuelling a public perception that playing RL is dangerous and best avoided. Still to see the stats on how many concussions are due to being tackled rather than tackling.

Ps ive got no problem with a red card for a dangerous high tackle like papaliis.

Even Wighton was fair enough the knees is a no go. BS like the Townsend one or the Burr sin bin is where the rule has flaws

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm not usually one to complain about rule changes, I actually like the 6-again (when they don't go too over the top), but this weekend has been ridiculous.

There's gotta be some common sense that contact with the head will happen. Unless you purposely go for a foul play and attack the head (like Papali today) then they shouldn't be sending players to the bin.

Imagine it's the grand final and one team gets two players in the bin in the first 10 minutes over dubious head contact and the team with the full squad goes up 18-0 - you've just killed the biggest spectacle of the year.

And I don't think it's crazy to say this will kill the game, if they keep adjudicating it like this it will. 5 minute sin-bin is also not the answer.

SOO too... which is why I give it 2 weeks before some leeway is back

Valheru

Coach
Not sure why players getting penalised for hitting a falling player is resulting in such controversy on here? Perhaps because it is a roosters player?

It has been a penalty for 10 years. It shouldn't be a sin bin though.

Valheru

Coach
Tedesco has been hit in the head in his last 3 matches on every occasion he was either ducking or falling to around stomach or chest height you can't account for that shit. Responsibility is at least 50% on tedesco for each of those instances.

Rubbish.

The dragons one was a borderline send off.

Last week was a shoulder charge so the circumstances are irrelevant.

Last nights was the softest one. Didn't deserve a binning but that has been a penalty for a decade now.

no name

Coach
Not sure why players getting penalised for hitting a falling player is resulting in such controversy on here? Perhaps because it is a roosters player?

It has been a penalty for 10 years. It shouldn't be a sin bin though.
Gotta disagree with that. Burr completely stops his action as soon as he realises Teddy is falling and tries to make as minimal contact as possible. Burr’s action would not hit anyone standing player in the whole comp high.

KennySterling

Juniors
It's the Magic Round, Bullwinkle style. " watch me pull a sin-bin outta my ass ".

Are they deliberately trying to sabotage the game. V'landys and News Ltd seem to go out of their way to drag the game down and drive away the fans. It's literally becoming unwatchable on TV, I'm finding it hard to sit through a whole game. The quality of games has nosedived and the new rules, 6 agains, bunker reviews and overturning tries, Captains fkng Challenge and sin bin everything bs are turning me off the game I've loved for 60 years. I don't get it.

Well said, agree with every word. You have to wonder what's going on. Someone has to sort this out.
Imagine refereeing Origin like this ? It doesn't bear thinking about.

And the bloody Fox commentators drive me crazy, too, along with the know-all journos with their agendas. The game is really at a cross-roads for mine.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Last week was a shoulder charge so the circumstances are irrelevant.

Yeah nah mate.

Niukore pleaded guilty to a grade-two careless high tackle on James Tedesco rather than risking a three-match penalty at the judiciary panel.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/07/round-9-nrl-judiciary-charges/

Marata led with the shoulder, no doubt, but it wasn't a shoulder charge.

Teddy dropped into the tackle, call it falling slipping or whatever, but if he doesn't, there is no high contact, so there is no high tackle.

Screenshot-2021-05-15-215900.jpg

Check out the bent knees. I mean you have got to be f**king JOKING. It is a mockery.

In the 3 recent hits on Tedesco (this, Niukore, and Pereira) he’s been falling for various reasons..

The Roosters have been pretty good with player welfare but I wonder what they are doing (if anything) about Tedesco stumbling... I’m not blaming him for anything but the common theme in all these tackles is Tedesco falling just before impact...

images
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fe4420ff6-fa79-490b-9173-328a1e591f92

Latest posts