What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've heard the punch comparison before and it doesn't pass muster because punching is not part of the game. Tackling is an integral part of the game and at times contact with the head will occur.

whilst it’s always been illegal it was never worried about too much so very much was part of the game for the first 110 years of it. We still immortalise some of the great biffs of the games history every chance we get. It’s not this on its own, it’s just one part of a slow erosion of what made RL the toughest game in the world.

Smug Panther

First Grade
whilst it’s always been illegal it was never worried about too much so very much was part of the game for the first 110 years of it. We still immortalise some of the great biffs of the games history every chance we get. It’s not this on its own, it’s just one part of a slow erosion of what made RL the toughest game in the world.
When this clown is making good points things a clear cut

some11

Referee
“It’s short-term pain for long-term gain,” V’landys told The Sun-Herald.

“I’m going to protect the player and eventually they will stop hitting around the head.

“They will get the message. I’m not going to listen to all the white noise coming from a minority because the future of the game rests on it being free of head injuries.

“Unless we do something now we’re going to be paying in the long run.”

giphy.gif

BunniesMan

Immortal
The people having a sook here would also complain if some time in the future a bunch of ex players sue the game into bankruptcy. Do you think the administrators are doing this for fun? They have been clearly told by the lawyers, the insurance people, and the medical experts that they have to shut this down.

some11

Referee
New rules this round:

The 'forceful' : tackling too hard

The phantom crusher : touching the back of your neck results in insta-penalty

Smug Panther

First Grade
The people having a sook here would also complain if some time in the future a bunch of ex players sue the game into bankruptcy. Do you think the administrators are doing this for fun? They have been clearly told by the lawyers, the insurance people, and the medical experts that they have to shut this down.
Mma and boxing are a thing you dopey merkin. No reason rugby league has to change if they get the contacts right

Perth Red

Post Whore

this one again, have a disclaimer players have to sign. No sport has yet been successfully sued other than nfl and they lost because they hid the evidence from the players therefore not affording them informed choice, not because their game was dangerous. How many boxers have sued boxing and they have been getting this dementia forever. We used to call it punch drunk before the term CTE came along. If you know that playing professional RL runs the risk of injury and you decide to take it up as your career then the risks come with it. This is just a massive Vlandys knee jerk and his rhetoric is just fuelling a public perception that playing RL is dangerous and best avoided. Still to see the stats on how many concussions are due to being tackled rather than tackling.

Ps ive got no problem with a red card for a dangerous high tackle like papaliis.

Nealo 12

Bench
Quality lol from our bestest Mong

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This high-tackle sinbin shit is crazy!!!

Usually im supportive of rules in the name of safety, but guys are are crouching into tackles and getting the defender sent off.

Next we are gonna be seeing a tactic of players dropping their heads into players arms to claim penalties and sinbins. Rubbish rule!!

Jono078

Referee
I'm not usually one to complain about rule changes, I actually like the 6-again (when they don't go too over the top), but this weekend has been ridiculous.

There's gotta be some common sense that contact with the head will happen. Unless you purposely go for a foul play and attack the head (like Papali today) then they shouldn't be sending players to the bin.

Imagine it's the grand final and one team gets two players in the bin in the first 10 minutes over dubious head contact and the team with the full squad goes up 18-0 - you've just killed the biggest spectacle of the year.

And I don't think it's crazy to say this will kill the game, if they keep adjudicating it like this it will. 5 minute sin-bin is also not the answer.