What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

One of the few sensible things I heard over the weekend was fro the Channel 9 commentary team, post games, on Saturday night, and of all people from Billy Slater. He said at training, coaches are going to have to train players to aim lower when attempting to effect a tackle.

The era of aiming to wrap up the ball and hold up the player by the initial tackler may be on the way out, as it raise the margin for error of contacting the head.
Yep think it will happen .
Back to grassing tackles ....as my old coach when I was kid used to say .
They can't run without legs boy .
& that is fine till you get JT2 steaming at the line from 5 Mtrs out .
A legs tackle will not stop the try .
Solution ..I don't know

BennyV

Referee
I can see how you're seeing it but in this case a legs tackle wouldn't have had to be a "cannonball"..as easily as he grabbed him around the waist and put his whole weight into his legs he could have also wrapped his legs up as most others so easily and safely do. I look for any opportunity to disagree with self described " old school" Gould but i completely agree with his condemnation of this rubbish....accidents and mistiming happens all the time but this bloke has just made cheap shot garbage his artform and wouldnt have given a shit if he put infinitely more talented JAC out for the season..it was only luck that he didn't. Anything can be defended but not intentional recklessness...agree to disagree on this one.
Happy to agree to disagree, but your also sort of agreeing - you’re penalising the player, not necessarily the act. You’re saying ‘it’s Josh McGuire, he must have done it intentionally to hurt JAC’ which is not a good way to be officiating the game.

BennyV

Referee
I can see how you're seeing it but in this case a legs tackle wouldn't have had to be a "cannonball"..as easily as he grabbed him around the waist and put his whole weight into his legs he could have also wrapped his legs up as most others so easily and safely do. I look for any opportunity to disagree with self described " old school" Gould but i completely agree with his condemnation of this rubbish....accidents and mistiming happens all the time but this bloke has just made cheap shot garbage his artform and wouldnt have given a shit if he put infinitely more talented JAC out for the season..it was only luck that he didn't. Anything can be defended but not intentional recklessness...agree to disagree on this one.
Happy to agree to disagree, but your also sort of agreeing - you’re penalising the player, not necessarily the act. You’re saying ‘it’s Josh McGuire, he must have done it intentionally to hurt JAC’ which is not a good way to be officiating the game.

blaza88z

Coach
Yep think it will happen .
Back to grassing tackles ....as my old coach when I was kid used to say .
They can't run without legs boy .
& that is fine till you get JT2 steaming at the line from 5 Mtrs out .
A legs tackle will not stop the try .
Solution ..I don't know

Legs tackles don't work in the NRL because then you got to let the bloke get up and he usually is in a better position to get up and play the ball than the defender is to get to marker

Munted

Bench
I am down with player welfare, but the very nature of the game means collisions at high speed without any protection = high risk for injury.
You can minimise it, but it has to be on both the attacker and defender to get it right.
Teddy is a prime f**king example.
Just as a defender has a duty of care to tackle between the ankle and the shoulders, the attacker must know if his boot choice and running style leads to excessive slipping and dropping 12 inches a second before impact...he's going to cop a few on the nose.

BTW i love Teddy, so this is not an anti rooster attack. The guys got to do what he can to protect himself as well.
A few more knocks and he will be Boyd Cordnered.

Munted

Bench
Legs tackles don't work in the NRL because then you got to let the bloke get up and he usually is in a better position to get up and play the ball than the defender is to get to marker
Exactly.
A good legs tackle is punishment due to the quick play the ball, 1 to 0 markers and a dummy half at full stretch.
Also, how many legs tackles lead to a head knock due to a badly timed knee and defender getting low.
More squishy brains.

age.s

First Grade
Why is Ponga style headgear not mandatory?

Serious question. Is it only effective in some cases? Are there risks associated with it?

Jersey No 14

Juniors
X - NRL on Report.....
I - Me will not engage in any NRL activity in anyway for the next several weeks.
All that money which will go to the club, sent on travel, and beer and the tuck shops at the sevreal grounds wil be held.
To corporate sponsors
I will not disaplay any NRL mechandise I will not associate myself with any branding associated with the NRL

FOX / TCN 9
I have Fox for several reasons - F1 MotoGP movies
I will not view any Rugby League related Topical show including any live or reply broadcast shows
so to advertisers I will there fore not view any of the hugely expensive adds which are in place for my convience.

Advertisers save your money. Paid commentators - save your breath, Because I will not be listening.
I am only one but - there maybe two, then three.
What happens to your jobs - your adverisising money when this awakenong reaches the Event Horizion.

I dont care I have a well paying job.
maybe my son when he asks why - He will understand in detail, the day the NRL shot themselves in the foot.

Remember - I don't care whether I watch your Sh!# or not.
I have a life - and i'm sure peoiple out there will come to realise this too.

The NRL don't care about dinosaurs who remember the 80s fondly

The new age is for players to have a duty of care to not touch an opponents head during the tackle.

Welcome to the new game of NRL!.

Latest posts