What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

yakstorm

First Grade
Fox ratings are deceiving. You only need to flick on the channel for even a few secs and it counts.

That's not true, Fox adheres to the same method of counting as everyone else in the industry.

Viewers can only get counted if they view at least one full minute of a broadcast, with the figures released being either the peak (largest total number of people watching at the same time for a period of a minute or more) or the average number of viewers over the broadcast.

Accidental flips don't count (otherwise the A-League is in real trouble considering they only got 7K viewers for one of their Saturday games).

I imagine the 499K is a peak figure as the STV average put out by OzTam was 315K and Kayo's average historically was only 16% - 22% of the STV figure, though Kayo has had some significant growth in the past 12 months.

taste2taste

Juniors
Try going low on a big forward like Asofa-Solomona, if it isn't a hospital pass in front of their face and they have time they just offload it.

The reason players tackle up near the arms is to wrap the ball up. You're not going to coach a team to let the opposition get easy second phase play.
There's no reason teams can't continue to tackle up near the shoulders and wrap the ball up. The NRL aren't asking teams to reinvent how they tackle.

From all the charges I've seen nearly all have been legit head high tackles. Victor gets mentioned a lot but on both occasions he buried his shoulder into the opposing players temple. I can't see how Gus, Joey and the other dinosaur whingers think that's OK.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought Luke's post was more directed at the 6 again rule ? Why would a crack down on head shots mean you won't get tackled ?

The article hints at other reasons the NRL rushed in this crackdown ? Government intervention ? An impending legal case with former players ? The NFL had to pay out over a billion dollars, hopefully the NRL doesn't have to pay that much :[]

Vlandys reckons Govt's have intervened elsewhere. Anyone know of one? Since when did Govt tell a sport what rules it had to have (other tthan the Vichy one of course) ???

For the umpteenth time no sport has yet been successfully sued for incidents of concussions EXCEPT the NFL who were sued for hiding the effects of Concussion from the players when they knew the data, thus not giving the players opportunity to make informed choices. They were not sued for any action or inaction in making the game less likely to have concussions! If you know the risks, or if the governing body didn't know the risks, then its highly unlikely you will win a court case.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's not true, Fox adheres to the same method of counting as everyone else in the industry.

Viewers can only get counted if they view at least one full minute of a broadcast, with the figures released being either the peak (largest total number of people watching at the same time for a period of a minute or more) or the average number of viewers over the broadcast.

Accidental flips don't count (otherwise the A-League is in real trouble considering they only got 7K viewers for one of their Saturday games).

I imagine the 499K is a peak figure as the STV average put out by OzTam was 315K and Kayo's average historically was only 16% - 22% of the STV figure, though Kayo has had some significant growth in the past 12 months.

1 full minute is plenty of time to tune in and watch a bit of it. Get annoyed with what is going on and turn the channel.

You need to see the break down of 20 min blocks or something to get the full picture.

Ch7 have changed their Fri night AFL game due to people tuning out late in games.

taste2taste

Juniors
Vlandys reckons Govt's have intervened elsewhere. Anyone know of one? Since when did Govt tell a sport what rules it had to have (other tthan the Vichy one of course) ???

For the umpteenth time no sport has yet been successfully sued for incidents of concussions EXCEPT the NFL who were sued for hiding the effects of Concussion from the players when they knew the data, thus not giving the players opportunity to make informed choices. They were not sued for any action or inaction in making the game less likely to have concussions! If you know the risks, or if the governing body didn't know the risks, then its highly unlikely you will win a court case.
Yes true, a player enters the game knowing there is a risk of a head injury but they also enter the game with expectation the laws of the game will protect them.

You say no player has ever successfully sued a league ...but isn't that because no one has tried yet ? Its inevitable it'll happen.

Let's say player X can show a court multiple occasions they were hit around the head and the ref didn't take any action or they were concussed senseless and a trainer or coach made the decision on their behalf to keep playing. Player X is going to be able to sue the pants off the NRL.

There's no way the NRL introduced this crackdown on a whim. They would have been advised to do so.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes true, a player enters the game knowing there is a risk of a head injury but they also enter the game with expectation the laws of the game will protect them.

You say no player has ever successfully sued a league ...but isn't that because no one has tried yet ? Its inevitable it'll happen.

Let's say player X can show a court multiple occasions they were hit around the head and the ref didn't take any action or they were concussed senseless and a trainer or coach made the decision on their behalf to keep playing. Player X is going to be able to sue the pants off the NRL.

There's no way the NRL introduced this crackdown on a whim. They would have been advised to do so.

there has always been rules, it’s always been illegal to hit players in the head. There has always been penalties for doing so. All that has happened is the nrl has increased the penalty on the field significantly. Over 2/3rds of hias are not due to high tackles. It’s part of the game and no crackdown is going to get rid of it short of going to touch.

Interestingly the roosters V Broncos game was the 2nd highest rating game in Fox's history.

I heard that today. That’s a phenomenal stat. For a Saturday night game, between a Broncos team going like a busted arse and a Roosters side down on troops... and historically not one of the biggest supported clubs in Sydney...

AJB1102

First Grade
There will be milking for sure.

As others on this thread have said the solution is simple.

A head high tackle resulting in a sin bin the player hit in the head must go off for a HIA
and
Reward legs tackles or 1 on 1 tackles with a dominant tackle, allowing the defender to hang on a few seconds to stop a quick play the ball.

Problem solved. Now we can move onto the next crisis :D

Nothing hits that aren't injuring blokes are getting binned but. Radley v TPJ I don't feel that's a sin bin and I certainly don't think TPJ required a HIA. That'd just rob fans of 2 players unnecessarily for 10-15 minutes.

Simple thinking like that is not helping.

some11

Referee
Nothing hits that aren't injuring blokes are getting binned but. Radley v TPJ I don't feel that's a sin bin and I certainly don't think TPJ required a HIA. That'd just rob fans of 2 players unnecessarily for 10-15 minutes.

Simple thinking like that is not helping.
100%

What's even more funny is TPJ is massive and radley put on a great shot that floored him.

Do they want him to aim at his legs and let him stroll over for a try lolol

AJB1102

First Grade
100%

What's even more funny is TPJ is massive and radley put on a great shot that floored him.

TPJ went into the contact with a loaded shoulder too that'd get him 5 weeks if he wasn't holding the ball.

taste2taste

Juniors
100%

Radley was 1 inch away from making a great hit. He said last night he won't change his tackling style and IMO he doesn't need too. Radley has the perfect technique for the modern game, he hits damn hard around the ribs ( often dislodging the ball )
Cam Murray is another who goes hard at the ribs.

taste2taste

Juniors
It's about soccer mums. He even says so in the interview.

Mums control the TV remotes and decide if the kids play footy.
There's no way in hell my wife is letting the kids play or watch league while we continue to see players laying unconscious on the ground.

taste2taste

Juniors
there has always been rules, it’s always been illegal to hit players in the head. There has always been penalties for doing so. All that has happened is the nrl has increased the penalty on the field significantly. Over 2/3rds of hias are not due to high tackles. It’s part of the game and no crackdown is going to get rid of it short of going to touch.

If a player decided to take the NRL to court the 'its all part of the game ' defence won't hold much weight.

Unless the players have signed something that states they are aware they may suffer multiple concussions leading to early onset of dimentia/Parkinson's due to illegal contact with the head I don't think the NRL has much chance in court.

The big difference with Union, NFL and NRL is that the NRL hasn't been upholding the laws of the game to protect the players. Up until 2 weeks ago there would have been a dozen instances per game where a player was hit in the head with no action taken by the ref. In union they have always had the players welfare as a priority, penalising any contact with the head. In the NFL concussion occurs from helmet to helmet contact that is within the laws of the game.

I'm playing devils advocate here but if a player argues the NRL didn't act in the their best interest by penalising head shots the NRL would find it hard to win. I'm sure it'll happen sooner rather than later.

mave

Coach
Mums control the TV remotes and decide if the kids play footy.
There's no way in hell my wife is letting the kids play or watch league while we continue to see players laying unconscious on the ground.

And that, right there, is the issue.

It is a contact sport. Accidents will always occur. Players will always get hit high, either as the attacker or the defender, and end up unconscious on the ground.....

And your Mrs will never let your kids play RL, unless we turn the sport into touch footy.

And that's perfectly fine.

What PVL is doing, is to try in vain to get your Mrs to allow the kids to play, whilst losing other women who love the sport, just the way it is (was).

We are wasting our time trying to chase people that will never love RL, and losing rusted-on fans in the process.

It's funny how PVL can say that it's pointless expanding to WA for the same type of reason, but can't see the forest for the trees on the crackdown issue.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
if for no other reason, i hope they keep up with this crackdown so we can continue to be entertained by all the beta cucks crying about it on social media

why are they still watching anyway, i thought they stopped when the biff did?

100%

I (stupidly) watched the back page last night and they were going on about Radley and how the role “the enforcer” is now dead in the game (Craddock).. I also (very stupidly) watched Offsiders and there were howls of thuggery, and condemnation of the commentators who “condoned hits to the head”... Victorian cricket expert Gideon Haigh.

Cricket commentators with their expert, condemning views on League. Idiots. I never hear league folk howling down Cricketers...

Although I consciously and stupidly watch these shows... I should sin-bin myself... twice...

On each of the replays... if you look at them individually they are no doubt spectacular but IMO there was a fine hair between an awesome hit and contact with the head... I saw a bloke trying to lift his side with punishing defence.... with only the Albert Kelly one being an issue.

TPjr was a big hit but the contact was almost all with the body.. Pangai got up, got on with it... The others were nothing at all. But collectively it’s led to people like Paul Kent saying he “lost the plot”.. FFS.

I compare that to the Shark who, in chasing Cody Ramsay, took a conscious decision to swing an arm (rather than other, legitimate tackle options) and got him flush on the chin.. putting Ramsay out of the game.. 2 weeks. Or a bloke who led with his knees Into the back of Hutchison and put him out of the game and in hospital. 3 weeks.

Last edited:

mave

Coach
I compare that to the Shark who, in chasing Cody Ramsay, took a conscious decision to swing an arm (rather than other, legitimate tackle options) and got him flush on the chin.. putting Ramsay out of the game.. 2 weeks.

And, again, if legs tackles were actually rewarded.....old mate doesn't aim high, he goes the legs and knows he can get back to marker.

Not that the NRL will ever go for that.
ThE GamE Would bE ToO SLoW !!

Latest posts