What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Matty Johns Show: Thursdays @ 7.30pm on 7

Avenger

Immortal
I used to really like Matty Johns when he commentated and spoke about the footy. He is much brighter then his brother. Joey seems fake and a dope to boot. However someone told Matty that he is funny and he walked away from his strength, which is his football brain and off the cuff wit not rehearsed Paul Hogan type 70's humour.

innsaneink

Referee
Theres only so many real rugby league fans though....1 hr of hardcore RL wont rate either...though neither will this crap...shame as its a great timeslot for me, TFS too late when youre gettin up at 5 next morning

Raider_69

Post Whore
Make Hadley and Paul Kent fulltime on the panel with Johns and Webke. Talk issues, game results, weekend games, a few interviews and you'll have more then a winner.

Leave the Skits Matty. You're a funny guy anyway. Don't need 'footy show' humour to be funny.

Spot on... wow, now i feel dirty, agreeing with Mark Rudd *shudders*

They can spend half the show talking about issues from the previous weeks, be it foul play, referee's, teams or individual performances, etc and the next half about the week coming up, with team line up changes, tips and ideas into how the game might pan out, you can throw in 10 minutes of cheap skits to keep joe public interested... that show on FTA would rate its f**king tits off

pcpp

Juniors
From the moment they named the show "The Matty Johns show" it was pretty obvious that rugby league would take a back seat.

The sketches with the characters are excruciating. I thought the sketches focusing on the footballers were OK, if they're going to have a light entertainment aspect they should try to improve these.

Controversy Corner was the best part of the show but there was about 2 minutes of actual game analysis.

Last edited:

nqcowboy87

Bench
I used to really like Matty Johns when he commentated and spoke about the footy. He is much brighter then his brother. Joey seems fake and a dope to boot. However someone told Matty that he is funny and he walked away from his strength, which is his football brain and off the cuff wit not rehearsed Paul Hogan type 70's humour.
yeh mattys adlib is his sttten stuff aint bad

Brutus

Referee
A very poor show tonight.

No highlights at all. Even controversy corner was boring tonight.

Johns aint a host. I really want a RL-flavoured show to work, but this aint it.

If you are going to do skits - MAKE THEM AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT FUNNY. Otherwise just talk footy.

Eddie.

Bench
Gee, I am surprised how poor it is. I would of thought Johns would of left all the Reg style skits/characters behind him at Channel 9. That comedian (using the term lightly) in the cab at the start and then Don Kirk to start the show, would be enough for a lot of people to lose interest straight away.

Even if you hate all skits/characters his Reg Reagan one was very good over a couple of years before it ran its course and became boring. However these ones appear to be aimless and totally unfunny.

JOhns show is for beginners
The footy show is for intermediate advanced followers of the game.

Together, the programs cover a wide target audience.

Last edited:

broncos2011

What is funny is that the best NRL show on night time TV is the f**king sports variety show on an AFL channel ONEHD. I'm talking about Thursday Night Live. They only have about a 10 min segment for NRL but I find it way better than matty johns show or footy show.

Something refreshing about the way they do it.

CanadianEagle

Juniors
Its called "The Matty John's Show" not "The Rugby League Show"...
Its on at 7:30pm, its on channel 7..
Unfortunately it is not targeting the 'hardcore' league supporters, some of which frequent sites like this.. it is a show of a rugby league theme aimed at the 'general public' from 7 yo boys and girls to 70yo grand parents. It looks like its aiming for a variety/sports show and besides theres NRL on FOX, Sunday Footy Show and that radio program on 2SM from 4-7pm weekdays thats 99% RL..
Just my two cents

Dazraider

Juniors
Top show showed rugby league and some comedy, the guy has an outgoing nature,
Its should go for longer as they are doing to much in such a short time span, could go for 2hrs easily with more talk about the footy.
Blows the footy show away so far and hope matty gets some other x footy players as well like the walters brothers.

bartman

Immortal
Hope he's smart enough to enrol in some TAFE course when the time comes later this year.

Prediction: the show won't be there by next season, and his entertainment "career" will be over.

Latest posts