What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The myth of the 'big 5' Sydney clubs

Ozzy

First Grade
Anzac Day and round 1 gave the Roosters a friendly boost

Saints fans are pretty fickle

Outnumbered them 10 to 1 at the 2010 GF

kungl sux cox
I'd put that down to the fact St George were expected to be in the GF at the time tickets were first open for sale where as the Roosters weren't.

Tigers have always had the lowest numbers of the so-called big 5, consistently less memberships than the Roosters. And were a top side in 10-11.

Our membership numbers are low because of the geographical dispersion of our home grounds and the less-than-competitive pricing of memberships. As for crowds, we had the highest home ground averages in Sydney from 2005 to 2008 and the second highest from 2009 to 2011. We've fallen behind other teams in recent years due to poor form, unfortunate scheduling and the fact we haven't been able to market blockbuster matches as successfully as other teams. A fixture like the ANZAC day game really spikes home ground averages.

The Tigers have allocated marque games to the SFS to accommodate a bigger crowd but this hasn't always eventuated. One of the upshots of this arrangement has been that games at Campbelltown and Leichhardt are treated as events and often draw good crowds (weather permitting) regardless of the opposition. Certainly, over the years the Tigers have drawn more 17k+ crowds against regional and interstate teams than any other side in Sydney. It's just a matter now of maximising our crowds against Sydney opponents in the same way that the Bulldogs, Souths, Dragons etc do.

Loudstrat

Coach
Morgan research? Galaxy poll? Where is your survey of resident's intention?

Oh, you have not got any quantitative research asking about residents intention? And you are just inferring this to bolster you argument? You just made this up based on a misunderstanding of statistics?
Easy, even for a megatard like you. Divide the weekly average attendance of all NRL games in Brisbane by the Brisbane population. Do the same for Sydney. Sydney's average is bigger.

Haha. Sydney teams have neither the wit nor the capacity to promote the game. Why not drag everyone down to your level! :lol:
what? Each Sydney team is pretty heavily promoted - wtf would you know about who promotes what? All you lot do is promote seat pissing ffs.

Yep. Because the NRL has done everything possible to make sure that the Storm have the most premierships possible against their name. Oh wait...
Extra cash ring a bell dopey?????????

I note you agreed with everything I said about Sydney teams. Indeed, 90% of what I wrote.

So you were right about that.
Just couldnt be bothered nit picking through your drivel - my main point was disproving your "Brisbane heartland" rubbish and the "wonderful" Storm support. If Penrith had their squad and their recent history they'd sell out every game at Centrebet.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Similar to the "Five Families" of New York.

Dragons being the most powerful of the five.

Doust being the most powerful (and stupid) Don in Sydney.

987392.jpg

:lol::lol:

Gold.

Easy, even for a megatard like you. Divide the weekly average attendance of all NRL games in Brisbane by the Brisbane population. Do the same for Sydney. Sydney's average is bigger.

Yep, absolutely. You can't argue against this, because it is fact. Which is why its ridiculous that Sydney continue to divide the fanbase into 9 parts. They have 9 poorly supported clubs when you could have 4 or 5 decently supported sides.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yep, absolutely. You can't argue against this, because it is fact. Which is why its ridiculous that Sydney continue to divide the fanbase into 9 parts. They have 9 poorly supported clubs when you could have 4 or 5 decently supported sides.
Queenslanders keep making this point out of hopeless naivety.

You people don't understand communities having a century long bond with their club. You people don't understand the emotion tribalism invokes that makes you hate a club for doing something to your club many decades ago. You people don't understand love of club that can be passed down from father to son to grandson. You people don't understand the deep emotions that are triggered by a certain logo, colours and jersey.

You can't just merge, fold or relocate clubs and expect fans to do as their told and support the franchise you tell them to support. True sport fans are completely irrational creatures and as a result you cannot push them into supporting cold, unemotional and rational things like rationalisation.

what? Each Sydney team is pretty heavily promoted - wtf would you know about who promotes what? All you lot do is promote seat pissing ffs.

Well they must be doing a tremendous job of promoting those games. Since you know so much, feel free to take me through the world class promotion that brought in 6k to a game. I mean, the IOC will be banging down the door of whatever amateur was behind that outstanding campaign. :lol:

Just couldnt be bothered nit picking through your drivel - my main point was disproving your "Brisbane heartland" rubbish and the "wonderful" Storm support.

You must have reading problems. I used the word "heartland" next to Penrith. Not Brisbane. Nor did I call Melbourne crowds "wonderful".

You are either verballing me or illiterate. Probably the latter.

Last edited:
Queenslanders keep making this point out of hopeless naivety.

You people don't understand the deep emotions that are triggered by a certain logo, colours and jersey.

Sorry. I didn't understand.

3527h2k_20.jpeg

You guys respect your traditions. You don't sell out. I understand now. :lol:

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal

Wouldn't work, for several reasons. The Broncos worked in Brisbane because most Brisbanites hate Sydney far more than they hated the rivals to their old Brisbane team. The reverse is true in Sydney. For most Sydney fans, the hatred of rival clubs is stronger than their interstate hatred. Tigers-Wests only worked because both teams were on death's door at the time. Even now, despite a Premiership, the partnership is uneasy one. Saints-Illawarra worked because of Illawarra being a much younger club, Saints having strong historical links with the South Coast, and Saints dominating the partnership.

Also the mathematical relationships between crowd numbers, population, and number of teams is not linear. Also ground size. You don't halve the teams and suddenly double crowds.

It wouldn't work? OK, but stop bringing up stupid hypotheticals about how Sydney has a stronger supporter base. Because all of your clubs have a lot of ground to make up to reach The Broncos crowds.

I'm also sick of the need to bring in a 2nd Brisbane club to level the playing field. We shouldn't be making strong teams weaker, we should be making weak sides stronger. But "tradition" gets in the way :S

betcats

Referee

Killing clubs to raise fan support doesnt make sense.

We would have just have the same support base or smaller supporting less clubs.

Relocating or killing four or five clubs now isnt going to attract more fans, just gives the Sydney fanbase we already have less options and probably makes a lot of them walk away from the game forever.

But maybe the crowd averages go up a little bit....

Dogs Of War

Coach
Our membership numbers are low because of the geographical dispersion of our home grounds and the less-than-competitive pricing of memberships. As for crowds, we had the highest home ground averages in Sydney from 2005 to 2008 and the second highest from 2009 to 2011. We've fallen behind other teams in recent years due to poor form, unfortunate scheduling and the fact we haven't been able to market blockbuster matches as successfully as other teams. A fixture like the ANZAC day game really spikes home ground averages.

Really your best crowds were at ANZ during 2005-2008 as thats the easiest for your supporters to attend.

The Tigers really need to abandon Leichardt, and ensure any Campbelltown games are closer to the start and end of season to ensure a good turnout. Not to mention it opens up further potential for game sharing with the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs (and Parramatta?) so your members (and ours) get more games to attend, and potentially bigger crowds for those games. Then you guys can do as we do and take a few more games to other area's to increase memberships and interest in the side.

simmo1

First Grade
One of the upshots of this arrangement has been that games at Campbelltown and Leichhardt are treated as events and often draw good crowds (weather permitting) regardless of the opposition.

The weather has been the biggest problem all year. Cowboys, Eels, Raiders and Storm were all at the suburban grounds in atrocious conditions, and haven't drawn as well as they should have. Leichhardt and Campbelltown will always draw better than usual in good sunny conditions, but will be very poor when its raining. It really is a bit of a gamble playing there.

Last edited: