What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL Grand Final for the MCG!

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
IMO Its time the Grand Final went walkabout like they do in the UK with the Challenge Cup Final.
Take the GF to Melbourne next year! They deserve it and would easily be a kick in the balls for AFL!
I dont this wont be a tickling ears topic but to make the NRL national its time somebody got off the backsides and made the game available to EVERYONE in Australia not just NSW!

I thank you. :clap:

Angry_eel

First Grade
i don't know if it'll be a kick in the balls for AFL or not but it certainly will be a kick in the guts for the sydney public. The gf has been capacity for a while. 2006 was the only time i can remember when it wasn't.

eels_fan_01

Bench
As i said in the other thread, i support Storm and i support expansion but why should Sydney not have a grand final when we started the comp.

philstorm

Juniors
Definitely to Brisbane first before it comes down here to Melb.

Maybe in around 10-15 years time?

there is a contract in place for it to be played at telstra until something like 2011 or 2012 .

but even if there wasnt its still crazy talk.

eels_fan_01 said:
How about never?

exactly.

the challenge cup or FA cup would have never moved from Wembley had it not been necessary.

the same should go for our final.

and besides tradition it would be lunacy to deprive 30K people of the Grand final experience.

KalgoorlieRed said:
IMO Its time the Grand Final went walkabout like they do in the UK with the Challenge Cup Final.
Take the GF to Melbourne next year! They deserve it and would easily be a kick in the balls for AFL!
I dont this wont be a tickling ears topic but to make the NRL national its time somebody got off the backsides and made the game available to EVERYONE in Australia not just NSW!

I thank you. :clap:

they dont take the challenge cup walkabout. It was only moved from Wembley due to the stadium being re-built.

Its now back at its HOME , wembley stadium.

eels_fan_01

Bench
I thought it was great this year with the home semis, to give Storm fans the chance to go and watch a Premilary but if the grand final is taken away from Sydney that will be the biggest load of sh*t in the history of sport, no no in the history of mankind. Should ALWAYS be in Sydney.

yakstorm

First Grade
A Grand Final at the MCG would only work if the Storm, Broncos and/or Warriors were involved. They are the three most popular and most likely well known clubs south of the border.

A game between say Parramatta and Manly or Easts and the Bulldogs would struggle to capture the hearts and minds of the Victorian public (they aren't as aware of our derbies as we are of theirs), and I think that last week of sales would struggle.

You would naturally get some reasonable sales just due to the event factor, but lets be realistic, in the past 2 years, we haven't sold anymore than 35,000 tickets to Victorians for any RL event. Whilst almost 15,000 travelled down for Origin 3 last year, the difference between say a Grand Final and Origin is you know who is playing in Origin and have 3 weeks to make your decision between the 2nd and the last.

Add in the fact the League Grand Final is always played after the AFL Grand Final (either a day or a week), if two Victorian sides made the AFL Final, coverage of the NRL Grand Final would be hidden away.

So in short, you would need too many things to go your way to make a Grand Final a success at the MCG. More or less you would need something like a Port v Fremantle final, the GF to be a week after the AFL's and Melbourne to be taking on say the Warriors (the Kiwis would be out in force)....

mattyg

Bench
i've been to the last 4 grand finals and i'll continue to go to them...in fact, my team has only been involved in one of them 4 grand finals. It will be a huge kick in the teeth to Sydneysiders who have sold out the grand final every year since Telstra Stadium was redeveloped. Leave the thing in Sydney...home semis are as far as it should go.

eels_fan_01

Bench
mattyg said:
i've been to the last 4 grand finals and i'll continue to go to them...in fact, my team has only been involved in one of them 4 grand finals. It will be a huge kick in the teeth to Sydneysiders who have sold out the grand final every year since Telstra Stadium was redeveloped. Leave the thing in Sydney...home semis are as far as it should go.

Ive done exactly the same and agree with what you have said.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's the biggest rectangular stadium in the country and Sydney fills it consistently enough, I don't see the point in moving it anytime soon.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's the biggest rectangular stadium in the country and Sydney fills it consistently enough, I don't see the point in moving it anytime soon.