What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL Grand Final for the MCG!

Lego_Man

First Grade
The NRL GF in melbourne without a melbourne team in it would draw two men and a dog, and rate even worse. Imagine if it was parra vs penrith or something...do you think anyone down there would give a sh*t?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Stop thinking in terms of RL = 2007 with David gallop as CEO, News Ltd in charge and channel nine not doing us any favours in Melbourne.

Never is a long time, it should be the goal of RL to be the undisputed biggest game in Australasia.

With that comes the grand final moving around, just as the superbowl. Prepare your mind to handle that, rather than stiffling the growth of Rugby League.

taxidriver

Coach
Never is a long time, it should be the goal of RL to be the undisputed biggest game in Australasia.

kurt, no disrespect but you are either

a) very optimistic
b) delusional
c) high as a kite

sherrinator

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Never.

I can never accept that that f**king toilet with its 150 years of sporting insularity will ever deserve a GF.

Never.

Can you f**k up for a second. Every second post is you going on about some toilet bowl and Mexico? :?

And i can't see how the MCG is home to sporting insularity? Commonwealth games, home of aus cricket, aussie rules and the dual home of australian soccer. Is it because it's based in Melbourne? Don't be so parochial, unless your 95 years old and were around when Melbourne was the temporary national capital.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
taxidriver said:

a) very optimistic
b) delusional
c) high as a kite

Are you saying the NRL shuold not aspire to be the biggest game in Australasia ?

We should give up now, and ensure other spooprts are bigger ?

I'm not saying we have reached that yet, but f*ck me... to not even try

taxidriver said:

a) very optimistic
b) delusional
c) high as a kite

why?

id say already that RL is number 1.

when you look at ratings, RL trounces AFL.

include origin and tests, and RL gives its broadcasters loads more viewers than AFL does.

and i wont even mention the comparison with union, thats unfair to pick on a small sport like that. they cant even beat A-League soccer

Cumberland Throw said:
pass the dutchie bro, your loaded.........

if TV ratings dont matter, then lets ignore the millions of dollars handed out by the TV companies.

look at ratings on Foxsports for example, RL is far and away the number 1 sport on the network.

Origin is a massive draw, AFL cant match that either.

the NRL is played in NZ, why ignore that as well ?

look at betting turnover etc.

TV ratings are a very important barometer of the battle of the codes. people can ignore them for so long, but with AFL ratings on a downward spiral vs RL, the future basis for AFL TV deals doesnt look very good

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I agree totally tv ratings do matter, but before you go off to early, do some research and check sites like, tvtonight.com.au and mediaspy.org.

Have a look at RL v AFL figures,

Why do you think 7 and 10 pay so much, ??

ramble_on

Juniors
Forever is a long time and I'd not be confident in saying that a GF won't ever be played in Melbourne..... but Brisbane, Canberra, Newcastle and NZ have far better chances of hosting one before they do...... buyt I understand where you're coming from... Broncos supporters were putting up the same threads after every GF win they had too........

t-ba

Post Whore
Cumberland Throw said:
I agree totally tv ratings do matter, but before you go off to early, do some research and check sites like, tvtonight.com.au and mediaspy.org.

When you count the regionals, even accounting for the mythical 'double counting,' the NRL will win comfortably this year.

And don't say Regionals don't matter, because there is more money to be had in SNSW and NNSW than there is in Adelaide for Advertising.

It's pretty even for the most part. If the NRL is the base price, the AFL does not justify what 7 & 10 payed for it.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm with everyone else for the short to medium term, Sydney and maybe Brisbane if they got a bigger stadium. But in the very long (and very optomistic) term, I'm with Kurt. Imagine if it was a national obsession like the Superbowl. Fumbleball floundering in Victoria watched by old women so deluded in their old age they still believe it has more skill than other sports, and Naziball long dead, having finally changed all its rules enough til it was actually League, by which time they notice that none of their players are actually any good at anything and are just plain fat.

Cumberland Throw said:

even easier, just check the thread on TFC on here.

when you include origin and tests together with the nrl, RL trounces AFL.

if gallop does his job next time round, RL should be getting more than AFL, not $80 million less.

t-ba said:
When you count the regionals, even accounting for the mythical 'double counting,' the NRL will win comfortably this year.

And don't say Regionals don't matter, because there is more money to be had in SNSW and NNSW than there is in Adelaide for Advertising.

It's pretty even for the most part. If the NRL is the base price, the AFL does not justify what 7 & 10 payed for it.

remembering that the Channel 9 package not only covers NRL games but also Origins and other rep. matches, that tells you that we are getting massively ripped off.

dallymessenger said:
remembering that the Channel 9 package not only covers NRL games but also Origins and other rep. matches, that tells you that we are getting massively ripped off.

theres no doubt the NRL are massively underpaid but we were coming off such a small contract out of super league you couldnt really expect to be paid AFL money.

i would expect the next two respective contracts from the NRL& AFL to be much closer in value.

ive been saying for years now that brisbane should get the grand final once every so often. but with the finals now having higher placed winners getting home finals right up to the prelims im happy enough to shut my mouth on the whole grand final subject, just thought sydney had too much but they are sharing it around more. but once we do reach full national level like kurt angle said, itd be cool to share the gf around like the superbowl in the nfl.

sherrinator said:
Can you f**k up for a second. Every second post is you going on about some toilet bowl and Mexico? :?

A. No.

B. It is and it is.

sherrinator said:
And i can't see how the MCG is home to sporting insularity? Commonwealth games, home of aus cricket, aussie rules and the dual home of australian soccer. Is it because it's based in Melbourne? Don't be so parochial, unless your 95 years old and were around when Melbourne was the temporary national capital.

The MCG is what?

You toolbanger.

Melbourne / Victoria you idiot.

What's the name of Victoria's top Rugby Union team?

NSW and Qld give all the Footy codes a go. Even that stupid f**king sport you follow has a small following.

Victoria doesn't.

That's what insularity is. Not allowing sports that compete directly with AFL to gain a foothold because of concern over the effect on AFL.

If Soccer went back to a Winter sport, Melbourne's crowds would shrivel up. Sydney's wouldn't.

The other thing is that the MCG would be astoundingly awful to watch Rugby League at. People in the front row would need binoculars.

Cumberland Throw said:

The top 5 of the year nationally in either code has 4 Rugby League matches.

1. NRL GF.
2. AFL GF.
3. SOO 1.
4. SOO 2.
5. SOO 3.

And the gap between #5 and # 6 is huge.

Fightin' Irish

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
A. No.

B. It is and it is.

The MCG is what?

You toolbanger.

Melbourne / Victoria you idiot.

What's the name of Victoria's top Rugby Union team?

NSW and Qld give all the Footy codes a go. Even that stupid f**king sport you follow has a small following.

Victoria doesn't.

That's what insularity is. Not allowing sports that compete directly with AFL to gain a foothold because of concern over the effect on AFL.

If Soccer went back to a Winter sport, Melbourne's crowds would shrivel up. Sydney's wouldn't.

If soccer went back to a winter sport then the victory would cease to exist, the majority of their supporter base is made up of sports starved AFL fans.

Latest posts