What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

azzah72

Bench
2UE are right in it at this time, MMM, GB and ABC are also looking to get bit parts. It's Gb's to lose.

I'm Hearing UE may get Friday/Sunday
GB Saturday keeping continuous call team
MMM Monday
ABC covering all or most.

Unless GB somehow convinces them to keep the current deal at a higher cost ala the Nine deal.

azzah72

Bench
I'm pretty sure there was a Roy and HG call on another station.

2UE also called the Swans' semi finals when they otherwise would have been calling the NRL had Gallop and his cronies decided to open the rights to all.

they also did the grand final. They were taking 3AW's call form melbourne.

Parra

Referee
Open all up to all comers would be better. Including online.

Radio rights split up like TV rights would be bad. No point complaining about 2GB being exclusive if the only change is to create even more exclusive rights on a slot-by-slot basis.

2UE are right in it at this time, MMM, GB and ABC are also looking to get bit parts. It's Gb's to lose.

MMM Monday

Unless GB somehow convinces them to keep the current deal at a higher cost ala the Nine deal.

Where is your intel from azzah ?

Not doubting you , really hoping you're right !

Although I hope someone is forced to cover the 7.30 slot on sat ( other than the ABC)

Open all up to all comers would be better. Including online.

Radio rights split up like TV rights would be bad. No point complaining about 2GB being exclusive if the only change is to create even more exclusive rights on a slot-by-slot basis.

Disagree.

The way 2gb treat the game having someone else involved even if it's exclusive for their slots is a positive move.

Sure opening it up to all would be better , but UE will do a better job than the clowns on GB.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
There's no benefit for radio to have exclusive coverage considering the money it brings in. It should be about exposure.

Parra

Referee
Where is your intel from azzah ?

Not doubting you , really hoping you're right !

Although I hope someone is forced to cover the 7.30 slot on sat ( other than the ABC)

I can't see how an attempt to force anything would be positive.

Open up the rights and 2SM might choose to cover the game, or a digital channel could be all-league or at least all-sport with live broadcasts fo whatever it can.

Parra

Referee
Disagree.

The way 2gb treat the game having someone else involved even if it's exclusive for their slots is a positive move.

Sure opening it up to all would be better , but UE will do a better job than the clowns on GB.

The 2GB team came from 2UE. No reason they couldn't end up back there.

Mr Saab

Referee

No chance for Hadley and co to go back to 2UE....Hadley has his own morning show and is on big coin there.

I would love a Voss / Gibbs / Alexander (if possible seeing he has fox commitments) radio show.
No carry on, or pathetic try hard comedians (like Gavin Roberston or Michael Slater)....just three guys who call it how it is with no BS

If hadley ends up back at 2ue it won't be because of the footy.

Maybe if they made an enormous offer for his weekday show , but given fairfax own 2ue and they are having financial problems that would be extremely unlikely.

Brutus

Referee

MMM Monday

Let 2GB call games from their "interactive studio". They can call as many of them as they want from their "studio".

Let committed stations like 2UE and Triple M call from the grounds and they can call as many games as they like.

I hear Triple M is extremely keen to call Friday nights as well as Monday nights. They should be able to do this.

Rexxy

Coach
Azzah... any word of Croc?

MMM Monday

azzah72

Bench
Not sure about croc..... I think they put in a bid, not sure where it's at.

That's pretty much to try and cover the regional stuff from what I understand.

azzah72

Bench
FYI Andrew Voss is covering Sports today right now on 2UE

Tim Gilbert is covering next mon-wed.