What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Brutus

Referee
The big difference between this and the TV rights though is the first/last rights situation.

That and the TV rights are actually worth something.

The biggest weapon 2GB have in retaining rights is the fear factor of their presenters turning against the NRL.

That has been somewhat diminished in recent weeks with the Alan Jones scandal.

Rayyyy already bags the crap out of rugby league and many of its people who don't suit his agenda.

I have faith that John Grant will not be intimidated.

Last edited:
The Telegraph in Sydney is reporting today that the deal is about to be signed..........drumroll..........2GB keep the rights and MMM just expand thier calling to a couple of games a week. In other words, the same as we have now, but MMM can call maybe 2-3 more games.

](*,)

And here I was thinking the ARL Commission would be good for the game - they have done NOTHING since starting, just continuing the same terrible coverage we have for both TV and radio.

What a disgrace...........I am never listening to league on the radio again.

Brutus

Referee
That is utterly pathetic.

A combined 2ue-2SM call would have seen Andrew Voss and Graeme Hughes as the chief commentators.

The ARLC are weak as piss.

Last edited:
2GB, Triple M to retain NRL radio rights
Andrew Webster
The Daily Telegraph
October 12, 2012 12:00AM

Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
SHAREFacebookTwitterEmail

2GB broadcaster Ray Hadley. Picture: Dan Himbrechts Source: The Daily Telegraph

RADIO stations 2GB and Triple M are favoured to retain the NRL's commercial broadcast rights for the next five years with a possible announcement on a deal today.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the two stations are widely tipped to share the rights again, although Triple M is confident it will expand its coverage to four games per week.

It is understood a meeting of the ARL Commission in Townsville today, ahead of the Test match between Australia and New Zealand, could finalise negotiations.

There has been some intense and interesting positioning behind the scenes, with 2SM and Super Radio Network owner Bill Caralis teaming with 2UE in a joint bid that would have Andrew Voss and Graeme Hughes used as commentators - although that now appears to have failed.

A major sticking point has been the reach of coverage in regional areas in NSW and Queensland, although it is believed Macquarie Radio executive chairman Russell Tate has assured the ARLC it will seek strong partnerships with networks outside of the metropolitan areas.

Handing the broadcast rights to 2GB also eliminates a repeat of an embarrassing situation a decade ago when Ray Hadley and his high-rating Continuous Call Team - then contracted to 2UE - out-rated the game call on 2GB.

The following year, Macquarie owner John Singleton lured Hadley and his team to 2GB en masse and they have called rugby league since.

At a sponsors' lunch last week, Hadley told show advertisers that 2GB would call games off television sets if the ARLC did not give them the broadcast rights.

"Our view is that if we weren't calling games, we'd still want to be the No.1 rugby league network," Tate said last night.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...nrl-radio-rights/story-e6frexnr-1226493890599

There are no quotes to back up their assertion.

Let's hope they're wrong.

I'll be bloody furious if they're right though.

whall15

Coach
Can someone explain to me how they can legally call the games off a TV set without the rights?

Brutus

Referee
Genuine rugby league fans who want real RL talk miss out again.

Just let 2UE provide a proper RL service for RL fans and let 2GB please themselves. GB call many of their games from a TV monitor anyway.

Last edited:

redvscotty

First Grade
Hadley and co can get f**ked. Tuning in on Saturdays when all they'd talk about is 10-4s and what brand of tampons they're buying these days wore thin a long time ago. Get with the program you fat fossilised f**ks and talk football for more than 30 seconds at the start of the afternoon.

Blockers the only one worth a pinch of shit. Andrew Moore is alright too.

seanoff

Juniors
If the NRL opened up the rights to all they'd be pefectly fine calling off the TV.

I'm not ok with it though.

but this was the quote.

At a sponsors' lunch last week, Hadley told show advertisers that 2GB would call games off television sets if the ARLC did not give them the broadcast rights.

absolutely verboten. The NRL would own GB after that sort of breach of copyright.

El Diablo

Post Whore
as i said before he tried that at 2UE when they lost the rights and either 2GB or the NRL took legal action and Hadley had to stop

but this was the quote.

absolutely verboten. The NRL would own GB after that sort of breach of copyright.

I appreciate that.

Really think its likely he meant 'exclusive rights' though.

Brutus

Referee
How would it be to have Vossy, Hughes and John Gibbs calling the footy.

The ARLC can go f**k themselves if the Andrew Webster report is to be believed.

Brutus

Referee
I remember 2GB threatened to pull out of RL all together if they didn't get the exclusive commercial rights (AM) last time around.

There was no way they would've done that then and they wouldn't do it now has Hadley has already suggested.

Just let these clowns call their footy from TV monitors. Let 2UE do the real stuff.

Latest posts