What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Quidgybo

Bench
Costly? Radio brings in pocket change to the NRL
Exactly. Money should barely enter into the decision. The value in radio rights is exposure, not hard cash. They're the ideal loss leader, give them away for nothing for the right arrangement.

Leigh.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I just want that diversity back. I am someone who listens to the radio for the fox games. Back in the 90's we even had one show where it used to not commentate rather just do a talk show about all the games in the round, granted at that time we used to have 3 matches on a Sunday.

The main thing is being able to find that broadcaster who does do the whole 2pm match without havin to stream it. I would love to see at least 4 stations covering the game, each with their own take on it. 2gb provides coverage that my mum loves and she doesn't like footy. It's great to be able to grab that audience, but for me, it's rubbish, so I end up listening to the abc, but when a game is on although I love warren Ryan's analysis of games. I would prefer a little more colour without resorting to the silliness of 2gb.

Triple m has the right balance for me, and I would love to see them calling all the games. It would also mean that there not calling swans games!

Mr Saab

Referee
I Triple m has the right balance for me, and I would love to see them calling all the games. It would also mean that there not calling swans games!

Triple M dont do it for me. They are a music station so they play too much music for my liking as someone who wants just pure sport talk and not the discontinuity of talk, ads, then song, more ads, 2 mins of talk and then repeat.
2UE do it the best with Gibbs and Brandy...they talk sport, they dont carry on like some of the tossers on 2SM and they know their stuff.

Need more show like that

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Costly? Radio brings in pocket change to the NRL

You know the word costly doesn't just refer to money right?

What I was referring to was multiple stations covering the same games, meaning dilution of ratings

Ron's_Mate

Bench
We definitely need someone like 2UE calling League on weekends. Quite often when I'm driving around on a Saturday afternoon and turn on the radio, I hear AFL on ABC Grandstand, and those mongs on GB crapping on with their pathetic trivia. I would like to hear discussion of the Friday night games and previews of the upcoming games - not much to ask, surely.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Triple M dont do it for me. They are a music station so they play too much music for my liking as someone who wants just pure sport talk and not the discontinuity of talk, ads, then song, more ads, 2 mins of talk and then repeat.
2UE do it the best with Gibbs and Brandy...they talk sport, they dont carry on like some of the tossers on 2SM and they know their stuff.

Need more show like that

And that's the reason we need more stations broadcasting games. We have timmah who loves silly song fests, mr sabb and a more serious tone, with myself liking a mix of music and footy talk which isn't aimed at 70yr olds and 12yr olds

Brutus

Referee
We definitely need someone like 2UE calling League on weekends. Quite often when I'm driving around on a Saturday afternoon and turn on the radio, I hear AFL on ABC Grandstand, and those mongs on GB crapping on with their pathetic trivia. I would like to hear discussion of the Friday night games and previews of the upcoming games - not much to ask, surely.

I heard last night that 2UE are very much back in the frame to call the footy and if they do 2GB will not pack it in altogether.

If 2GB do not get the exclusive rights they will reduce the amount of games they call to probably two per round which will open it up for UE to provide a comprehensive coverage from Fri to Mon.

Triple M to call Friday nights as well.

GB of course will continue with their weekend detention stuff.

Last edited:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I know I'm beating a dead horse but as long as the ABC can cover every game I'm happy. Commercial radio stations are a last resort for me, and I can't stand Triple M.

Ferryman

Juniors
I think that UE may struggle to have the cash to call any league. It is not just the rights fee (and that could/should be minimal to attract new participants) but the ability to pay for a team of commentators and then ferry them across the country. "Interactive studio" is an option but it would seem an unpopular one.

Triple M will call more of the football because they actually make money on this despite their modest ratings figures - advertisers like the difficult to reach listeners that they attract.

azzah72

Bench
Ue isn't being bought, in fact they are going the opposite direction in the fact that fairfax media are investing big time in them, it will be a long haul as their business model for when jones, hadley and laws were there completely blew up in their face when they all left, they didn't have a plan b.

The same will happy do GB if one of them leaves or gets hit by a bus.

Fairfax can and will pay for the rights if it is a viable business decision. they'll be using the whole fairfax network i'm hearing as well so 4bc in brisbane, 3aw in melb & 6pr in perth are all on the cards.

i think a joint thing with MMM looks like a possibility as well.

Rosetta

Juniors
Exactly. Money should barely enter into the decision. The value in radio rights is exposure, not hard cash. They're the ideal loss leader, give them away for nothing for the right arrangement.

Nail on head.

The ARLC must not fall into the same trap Dave did in seeing $$$$ signs and pandering to bullies such as Singo and Ray. Licenses must be open to all networks and valued on exposure, the more affiliates on a commercial network broadcasting the NRL, the better price they shall receive. If a network broadcasts into a area only they have coverage to reward them with reduced licensing. The restrictions on the ABC must also be lifted, in fact I'd have no issues with the ARLC helping pay production costs etc if it guarantees a live broadcast of every match on the ABC into every market. (where possible)

Exposure must be the focus.

Patorick

Staff member
Anyone know why ABC didn't have a sideline eye at Brookie yesterday?

Bit weird, especially since Morrow and Wok rely so much on them these days.

Mr Saab

Referee
I don't think so.

The AFL radio rights deal was $23 million. There's no way 2GB / ABC pay $1 million for exclusive rights.

I think it was 3 million, but it is still chicken feed when looking at the big picture.

There should be no exclusivity for the radio coverage. Listening to Joel Caine call a game makes me want to kill ants with a magnifying glass

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

Leigh.

Correct weight, some people are too stupid to understand this.. It is free advertising.. When you have mulitple stations covering the NRL, you get the wider reach as a lot of people are too lazy to change the dial on the weekend (hence why 2GB are so popular). It generates interest back in people who may have lost it over the years..

chrisD

Coach
We have enough money, let anyone who can be arsed turning up with a microphone broadcast for a nominal fee.