What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NZ Wazza VS Ozbash Super Best Centre Challenge!!!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Henry had a good game. Ropati went ok, got a passmark. Agree with McLennan holding Hurrell back, hes not a wet track player, at least not at this stage of his career.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I'll admit it on both counts, Ropati had a decent game and Henry was impressive.

It depends on what Ozbash wants to do. Maybe it's easier to match Ropati with whoever starts at the other centre, whoever it is. But I'll let Ozbash make the call.

But good game to Ropati.

Micistm

Bench
JRo did okay tonight, definately not setting the world on fire but a huge improvement over last week. But that really wasn't tough...

Fast Eddie

First Grade
From what I saw Ropati didn't even defend at centre for periods of the game. He was was three in with Johnson defending out there.

Rich102

Staff member
I think if you backed Benry vs Ropati at centre for the season you would be on a winner.
Benry is impressive for only his fourth (?) NRL game.

ozbash

Referee
I'll admit it on both counts, Ropati had a decent game and Henry was impressive.

It depends on what Ozbash wants to do. Maybe it's easier to match Ropati with whoever starts at the other centre, whoever it is. But I'll let Ozbash make the call.

But good game to Ropati.

f**k, I bet that hurt
:p

I ill go with whatever the learned adjudicators go with.

JRo is so blessed with footballing talent and having God on his side, it wont matter who he's matched up against, he will slaughterate them !!!

GO THE RO

hitman82

Bench
I think we will ditch this round and go from next. You ladies need to decide whether Benry is a valid stand-in opponent or not!!!

(btw, if you do want Benry included, Benry and Hurrell both played centre in a game, I assume I'd rate Ropo against whoever played the most minutes...)

I'm kinda disappointed this round didn't work out haha... was looking forward to having something to do at work!

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I think we will ditch this round and go from next. You ladies need to decide whether Benry is a valid stand-in opponent or not!!!

(btw, if you do want Benry included, Benry and Hurrell both played centre in a game, I assume I'd rate Ropo against whoever played the most minutes...)

I'm kinda disappointed this round didn't work out haha... was looking forward to having something to do at work!

Yeah, I think it's best if we go with anyone (Even Ben Henry) who plays the most minutes at the other centre position. It would most likely be whoever starts there.

If Skinner could please make this official, we can try this again.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
f**k, I bet that hurt
:p

I ill go with whatever the learned adjudicators go with.

JRo is so blessed with footballing talent and having God on his side, it wont matter who he's matched up against, he will slaughterate them !!!

GO THE RO

It hurt a little, but he was still getting dominated in most tackles on him. So neah neah neah-neah neah!

hitman82

Bench
Yo NZ Warrior, just out of interest, since you asked:

Ropati vs Henry would have been a non-event as Henry didn't score any points due to him not winning any of the categories!!

The only category he could have gained points in was tackles made, but they had an equal number. Ropati getting more one-on-one tackles also factors in...

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Oh, I see what you did there. So, whoever gets the most in the stats category gets the points awarded to that category.

Yeah, I just did a rush job and giving points to ever tackle made, every penalty given, blah blah blah. No, your way is much easier. Even though I don't like giving the win to JBro.

Here's hoping we can kick this thing off this week.

hitman82

Bench
Oh, I see what you did there. So, whoever gets the most in the stats category gets the points awarded to that category.

Yeah, I just did a rush job and giving points to ever tackle made, every penalty given, blah blah blah. No, your way is much easier. Even though I don't like giving the win to JBro.

Here's hoping we can kick this thing off this week.

Yeah I figured you may have!! All good man.

I added it up and it was a bit weird due to JRo winning both the positive AND negative categories. Henry just wasn't featured in enough categories to give him a chance. This round hopefully your happy Tongan actually plays centre!

hitman82

Bench
So, wheres the Ro Bro's points ?

C mon c'mon....

Due to winning:
* Metres/run +10
* Line Breaks +15
* Tackle Breaks +5
* 1 on 1 Tackles +5

Ropati scored 35 points. If he'd had his try assist properly accredited (+20 points), this would have seen him score 55 points.

I had a think about it, and have decided to tweak a couple of the categories to reflect things better. You guys check and see if you are happy with this before next round begins.

The main change is I think rather than punishing the player who got the most errors and penalties, we should reward the player who got the least.

Therefore Henry would have scored:

* Missed Tackles +10
* Errors +10
* Penalties Conceded +10

Giving Henry a total of 30 points. This seems much more fair to me. So if Henry had scored a try or had an offload, he would have beaten JRo due to JRo having the most errors, missed tackles and penalties.

Under the original system, Henry scored a flat Zero, but this seemed unfair given his error free performance.

You guys cool with this? I have edited my original points post.

hitman82

Bench
So, after Round 1 (4) being a non-event due to Hurrell not featuring in the centres, are we going to:

-match up Henry or Inu or Hurrell or whoever fills the centre spot for the most minutes in a game versus Ropati

-use this system, which is more fair in rewarding error free performance:

Minutes
Because of injury, sin bins, strange bench use - it is hard to reward or punish a player due to minutes played. So I'll simply do the rest of the points then average them to minutes played, making it a non-factor.

Metres per run: 10 points

Tries: 20 points

Try assists: 20 points

Line breaks: 15 points

Offloads: 10 points

Tackle breaks: 5 points

Tackles: 10 points

One on One Tackles: 5 points

Missed tackles (least): 10 points

Ineffective tackles (least): 5 points

Errors (least): 10 points

Penalties conceded (least): 10 points

...IE no negative points.

Rich102

Staff member
If you use the stats. and divide them by minutes played I would think it would greatly favor the player playing the least time.
ie. A player playing one minute and making one tackle is not equal to a player playing 80 minutes and making 80 tackles.

I don't know how you would normalise these stats but I don't think this is the way.

Any mathamaticians around?

hitman82

Bench
If you use the stats. and divide them by minutes played I would think it would greatly favor the player playing the least time.
ie. A player playing one minute and making one tackle is not equal to a player playing 80 minutes and making 80 tackles.

I don't know how you would normalise these stats but I don't think this is the way.

Any mathamaticians around?

Yeah you'd think being an engineer I would be able to get my head around this kind of stuff. Kind of scary for my company really :lol:.

What I would suggest is a 60 minute minimum or comparison is null and void. Total Points averaged over 60 - 80 minutes sounds pretty fair to me?

But yeah if any clever math people want to make a suggestion that would be cool haha.

Looking at JBro and Henry's points above, that seems like a fair result. JBro dominated the attacking stats and pulled off 7 nice 1 on 1 tackles, but he was also guilty of errors and penalties; whereas Henry was quiet in attack but also a defensive rock who made no errors at all.