What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The old and wise Jack Newton speaks to the Telegraph *shock, horror*

Frederick

Staff member
I knew Smith would be trouble: Newton

Article from:
By Dean Ritchie
August 10, 2007 12:00am

NEWCASTLE's number one fan, former golf champion Jack Newton, has long held fears the Knights' experiment with coach Brian Smith would "end in tears".

Although reluctant to discuss the coaching drama after his son Clint was forced to Melbourne, Jack questioned Smith's selections and philosophies.

"There's trouble here for sure," Newton told The Daily Telegraph.

"I thought it was always going to end up in tears.

"And nothing I've seen in recent times has made me change my mind."

Newton's fears started when Smith was given the job after four previous coaches had rejected the Knights coaching position.

"I don't think it's any secret that there were three or four on their hit list and they didn't get one of them," Newton said.

"Smith then got the gig.

"Personally I don't think he understands Newcastle.

"I thought he was smart enough to know this isn't Sydney.

"It is totally different to Sydney."

Newton remains confused over Smith's selection policies.

"I might have a limited knowledge of rugby league, but you need some senior players on the field," he said.

"I have been very disappointed in a couple of the team selections.

"Last week we needed to win to keep alive our chances of making the top eight and he rests Daniel Tolar, Adam Woolnough and Kirk Reynoldson.

"I don't understand that - maybe someone could explain it."

Newton is angry at how Clint was portrayed when he left the Knights.

"My son is not a quitter but that is how he has been painted up here," Newton said.

"He left because the coach didn't respect him.

"There needed to be some changes but having said that, there wasn't much wrong with the club.

"I'm not sure what is going on or what the answer is.

"He (Smith) has a history of doing this at all his previous clubs."
LINK

Does anybody really give a f**k what ol' one arm thinks?

Spike

First Grade
Only when it comes to shaving a couple off my handicap otherwise he'd be best to stfu.

Alex28

Coach
I admire Jack Newton in a lot of ways - I was part of his Junior Golf Programme for a number of years, even got to meet him a few times.

However he now has to decide whether he is the Knights Number 1 ticket holder, or whether he is the jaded manager of his son who gutlessly walked out of the club, yet both still claim it is the club and Smith's doing.

You can't be both Jack. Either get on board and support the team, or resign your membership and f*** off.

How do the telegraph know for sure he is our number one fan? I am sure most people here would claim to be the number one fan. Typical rubbish by the daily desperates.

aqua_duck

Coach
If smith wasn't the man behind this, the telegraph wouldn't report on it, but because it is smith they have put out a whole campaign against him

mick13

Juniors
Jack's spot on. There seems to be alot of Newcastle supporters in denial, Smith is fcking the joint. Buderus wants out to go to England, the best junior you've got in Lucas Miller has left with a year to run on his contract and signed with the Storm. Unless something drastic happens including sacking Smith, i can't see Newcastle going near the top 8 for many many years. The players moved on in most cases are better than the players that are replacing them. You've signed half of the Dragons team, and look where their coming!!! Get real, the joint's in absolute turmoil. A drubbing by Manly tonight will prove it!!!!!!

macavity

Referee
NEWCASTLE's number one fan

that is an insult to every Newcastle supporter.

Newton is angry at how Clint was portrayed when he left the Knights.

"My son is not a quitter but that is how he has been painted up here," Newton said.

"He left because the coach didn't respect him.

yes Jack, by definition he is a quitter. he left because he didn't have the testicular fortitude to stick it out. no amount of BS by you is going to change that fact, Jack.

now re-sign your membership. I hear Melbourne need some fans.

oldman

Juniors
mick13 said:
Jack's spot on. There seems to be alot of Newcastle supporters in denial, Smith is fcking the joint. Buderus wants out to go to England, the best junior you've got in Lucas Miller has left with a year to run on his contract and signed with the Storm. Unless something drastic happens including sacking Smith, i can't see Newcastle going near the top 8 for many many years. The players moved on in most cases are better than the players that are replacing them. You've signed half of the Dragons team, and look where their coming!!! Get real, the joint's in absolute turmoil. A drubbing by Manly tonight will prove it!!!!!!

Mick 13 the main thing we agree on is that Jack is welcome to his opinon , but is all it is - an opinon of a man those son was "asked" to look elsewhere, but walked( BTW and is struggling to stay in first grade) People call him the number one supporter i call him conflicted and bitter.

Now his has allowed this bitterness to be used by the media to attack the club he SAYS he loves.

I am sick to death of people saying things like Smith does not understand Newcastle -CRAP

That knind of talk belongs to some backwater with banjos in the back ground.

I have lived in Newie all my life I went to every game of Newcastle's First season, while i was proud that this was a working towns team i knew to stay on the park they needed to change.

Finally 20 years later we have a sound base we are not struggling just to play our players, and with have an administration that is focused on building the team around more that one player.

Honsetly i would like to read Dannies thoughts one year from now when his is playing behind a pack that can compete not just hold.

REMEMBER HOW MANY GAMES DO WE WIN WITHOUT ANDREW JOHNS AND DANNY .

WE HAVE NOT HAVE A GOOD PACK SINCE BK LEFT - OH BUGGER I FORGOT HE WAS AN IMPORT

Serc

First Grade
HAHAHAHAHA

Old 'fairway metal' is a toss, and knows little about what goes on from week to week in the team - "Woolnough was rested".

All I care about tonight is to see if Dureau goes ok behind a (likely) beaten forward pack and also hoping to see Bailey do well, boy does he deserve it after all the injuries this year.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
aqua_duck said:
If smith wasn't the man behind this, the telegraph wouldn't report on it, but because it is smith they have put out a whole campaign against him

Spot on AD. I just said as much on blog there and asked if there wasn't an agenda then why aren't they headlining with the gaems, being that it is only a month out from the finals and all, or failing that any of the other string of headlines their ...ahem..."journalists" could be raking the muck over.

Did anyone see that imbecile Dean Richies rant about how Smith must go as well?
I don't think Dean knows what happens at a football club, how would he? By the looks of it all he ever does at the games is eat the pies.

Jaysus I hate the Daily Telegraph & I'm not even a Knights supporter. Good to see you guys sticking solid.

Cheers.

roopy

Referee
The Telecrap is on a roll. I'm not going to buy it for a week or two till they get over it.

Gene Krupa

Referee
mick13 said:

Grow an arm Jack. ;-)

mick13 said:
Lucas Miller is nowehere near our best junior. Four players from the dragons is not half of 17. Buderus will be 30 in March or February next year so I think at 31 we can wish him well in 2009 if he goes to england. If you want to talk rubbish join the denial board over on the Parra forum.

TooheysNew

Coach
mick13 said:
Jack's spot on. There seems to be alot of Newcastle supporters in denial, Smith is fcking the joint.
It's not denial.

It's an ability to see the big picture beyond what the media tells you.

Some people are too naive for that.

mick13

Juniors
mick13 said:

The denial continues in Newcastle, and what a drubbing it was, geez the Newcastle players really appeared to be a team playing for their jersey and coach. Its hilarious watching this unfold, and where's the big 'Chief' who orchestrated the Smith signing, 'silence is deafening'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

perverse

Referee
mick13 said:
The denial continues in Newcastle, and what a drubbing it was, geez the Newcastle players really appeared to be a team playing for their jersey and coach. Its hilarious watching this unfold, and where's the big 'Chief' who orchestrated the Smith signing, 'silence is deafening'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
is that you raaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy?

Bicey_18

Bench
mick13 said:

As a Roosters fan im guessing you would know all to well about drubbings