What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ones that got away

Minh

First Grade
Haha. Thinking back to some of these guys is making me feel more at ease about our 2012 squad that's for sure.

Yep we still have at least 11 State of Origin/National calibre players in our squad, 3 young guns in Style, King and Rein as well.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Michael O'connor leaving disappointed me. In sort of recent times Craig Fitzgibbon. Should have kept him over Treacy.

Minh

First Grade
Michael O'connor leaving disappointed me. In sort of recent times Craig Fitzgibbon. Should have kept him over Treacy.

Totally, he was a very good footballer and got better at the Roosters. To be fair Treacy was a good player too just not in the Fitzgibbon class.

The Nick

Bench
I'm not sure rejects is the right word to call some of our past signings.

Jeremy Smith had already played for NZ, and in fact was named NZ's player of the year in 2008, before he came to the Dragons.
Darius Boyd was a former Australian Schoolboys player, GF winner, QLD origin representative and was in the Australian world cup squad before he arrived at the Dragons.
Neville Costigan was an Origin rep long before we got him as well.....

The Lattimore's, Vidot's and Matthews' of the world hardly compare to these 3.

It's called a Salary Cap, champ.

After we signed Costigan, Boyd and Smith, Scott, Morris, Weyman, Young, Soward etc all became Origin and/or Test players so obviously something had to give.....

Breathingfire

Juniors

After we signed Costigan, Boyd and Smith, Scott, Morris, Weyman, Young, Soward etc all became Origin and/or Test players so obviously something had to give.....

Read the context in which it was posted. Gypsy was not disputing why we lost those players, he is just saying that people calling Costigan, Boyd and Smith "discards" and "rejects" is off the mark and that is a fact. You don't play for QLD, NZ and Australia if you are a reject or a discard.

gypsy

Bench

Thanks Breathingfire.

As for you The Nick, how about reading the posts properly.....champ!
:crazy:

juanfarkall

Coach
I would not have called Boyd or Smith rejects but Costigan was pretty close to that category at the time we picked him up.
He could not get a start with the Raiders and from memory spent a chunk of his time playing for Souths Logan in the Qld Cup, just like Weyman.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
actually on the flip side, i'd wonder which players we have signed that have been "the ones that got away" from other clubs..

i'd say soward for sure...

any others?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

That's right, he used to play for easts..

I remember first time i ever saw him play for the roosters, rod wishart smashed him, took the ball that he dropped and ran off to score..

Didn't we trade him for andrew walker?

Godz Illa

Coach
actually on the flip side, i'd wonder which players we have signed that have been "the ones that got away" from other clubs..

i'd say soward for sure...

any others?
Beau Scott! Could've been both. We initially had him and were disappointed to lose him to Cronulla. Since leaving Cronulla he's won selection for NSW and Australia, and a premiership

Fingerbang

Bench
Add Adam Cuthbertson to the original list now.....damn, how are we going to survive next year now? May as well forfeit each and every game....:roll: