What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Passion of the Kevin

Canard

Immortal
You would have to think Payten is under a world of pressure compared to Kev with the way the two clubs finished the second half of the season.

The cows do not appear to have recruited well. If he has a poor start to the season the jungle drums may start beating fairly early.
For mine the Broncos and Bulldogs have both recruited high priced players and the pressure is on them to improve. The Cowboys should be wooden spoon favourites.

We have recruited essentially nobody (Townsend, who is one more heavy tackle away from medical retirement, and Hiku).

There only aim is to continue blooding youth, jettison the anchor contracts of Holmes and Maclean and hope to make a splash in the 2023 free agent market.

For that reason Payten has another 2 seasons at least. If Kevvie doesn't push for an top 8 spot next year he is in a world of hurt.

lynx000

Juniors
For mine the Broncos and Bulldogs have both recruited high priced players and the pressure is on them to improve. The Cowboys should be wooden spoon favourites.

We have recruited essentially nobody (Townsend, who is one more heavy tackle away from medical retirement, and Hiku).

There only aim is to continue blooding youth, jettison the anchor contracts of Holmes and Maclean and hope to make a splash in the 2023 free agent market.

For that reason Payten has another 2 seasons at least. If Kevvie doesn't push for an top 8 spot next year he is in a world of hurt.
Yep, I agree with you on that, unless the improvement shown towards the end of the year continues in the first half of next year, I can't see him being renewed.

blaza88z

Coach
You would have to think Payten is under a world of pressure compared to Kev with the way the two clubs finished the second half of the season.

The cows do not appear to have recruited well. If he has a poor start to the season the jungle drums may start beating fairly early.

Townsend is on roughly the same deal as Reynolds, that alone speaks volumes about how poorly the Cowboys have recruited.

The Cows are in for a bad period, they've got Taumololo who a few years ago was undoubtedly the best in the game but now Payten doesn't know what to do with him and Val Holmes who is still a good player but he's not good enough to warrant 1 million dollars a season.

yobbo84

First Grade
home-alone-catherine-o-hara.gif

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
looking forward to seeing billy murder every attacking raid in the opposition 20 for a full season without fear of being dropped and mam get poached by the dolphins.

On our topic, townsend looks like he was the best of the rest signing and really am not expecting much from him but having a kick and direct play half was needed to go alongside deardon who showed good things when running it last season but not steering the attack (similar to what wighton does well) and chad was the only option available.

There is some raw young talent in the squad that needs some time but some of paytons ideas and tactics lately have been at a level that would even make sheens and mary confused.

Munky

Coach
looking forward to seeing billy murder every attacking raid in the opposition 20 for a full season without fear of being dropped and mam get poached by the dolphins.

On our topic, townsend looks like he was the best of the rest signing and really am not expecting much from him but having a kick and direct play half was needed to go alongside deardon who showed good things when running it last season but not steering the attack (similar to what wighton does well) and chad was the only option available.

There is some raw young talent in the squad that needs some time but some of paytons ideas and tactics lately have been at a level that would even make sheens and mary confused.

Chad himself as a player isn't the problem. He's solid enough on a good day.

His cap hit is ludicrous.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Contract extension and a reynolds injury to have an actual reason to gift the kevling a run on spot. Its all coming up kevin

blaza88z

Coach
He's nowhere near as bad as you blokes make out, the task he was presented with, I doubt any coach is turning that ship around in a short window

Players on huge cash not playing well, players at other clubs now that we're paying for, they've basically had to clean out the back office and half the team to get to where they are now

He's done a good job I would say on that front and some of the results towards the back end were quite promising. Trials weren't great but even other teams got pasted that you'd expect to be fighting out the top 4 at the pointy end, they don't mean anything

Diesel

Referee
He's nowhere near as bad as you blokes make out, the task he was presented with, I doubt any coach is turning that ship around in a short window

Players on huge cash not playing well, players at other clubs now that we're paying for, they've basically had to clean out the back office and half the team to get to where they are now

He's done a good job I would say on that front and some of the results towards the back end were quite promising. Trials weren't great but even other teams got pasted that you'd expect to be fighting out the top 4 at the pointy end, they don't mean anything
I like kicking the Broncos when they’re down as much as the rest of us, but you’re right, he’s doing well. I think Kev’s happy go lucky attitude is why people underrate him.

_Johnsy

Referee

How quickly you've forgotten his revolving door selection rationale with the 1/2's in 2021.

Going Crazy Homer Simpson GIF

lynx000

Juniors

A good early call by you. Some of the posts (including mine) regarding the broncos and the cowboys look to be aging like milk. Early days for both teams but it looks as though both have turned the ship around and are heading in the right direction. Good coaching by both coaching teams.

some11

Referee
I think Payten and Walters have both surprised this year.

Everyone had the cowboys doing worse than the broncos.

blaza88z

Coach
A good early call by you. Some of the posts (including mine) regarding the broncos and the cowboys look to be aging like milk. Early days for both teams but it looks as though both have turned the ship around and are heading in the right direction. Good coaching by both coaching teams.

It was fairly obvious to anyone actually watching the game (obviously not half the "fans" on BHQ) that the efforts were improving every week

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Anthony Seibold was objectively a good choice.
Young, reputation for being tactical, apprenticeships at Storm/Manly/Souths, successful first grade results with Souths, Queenslander.

Their strategy was right. It just didn’t work out for some reason.

But now they’ve gone in the other direction. Older, non-tactical, unsuccessful coach who has been passed over for top jobs for about 15 years prior to appointment. A belief that they needed someone “to instill pride in the jersey” where as what they really need is a teacher.

To think they sacked Bennett twice is hilarious.
If I was on the board and saw the contract Boyd had signed I would have sacked the merkin also

Latest posts