What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pearce Problem

Vic Mackey

Referee
Pearce was fine.

Agree with others. Main problems the wingers, Hodkinson and for mine cordner/Fifita. Fifita will probably be good for the run. The rest should be fcked off.

Both wingers dummy half running was horrendous, got our sets off to terrible starts. Is mansour back for Penrith this week?

He was ok in the first half, when we had momentum he actually had a good run for a while.
In the second half it was the pearce of old, enthusiasm but wrong plays and little mistakes.
And in the last 10 minutes he fell to pieces, unfortunately he does this in all big games, he's had guys like maloney, friend and sbw amongst others to help him close out games for the roosters, but when it comes to origin it all falls to him and he has shown numerous times he can't handle it. Unfortunately the majority of origin games come down to those last 10 minutes

agreed..............

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hodkinson was the worst. When your props are first receivers all night, the back row and outside backs will not be able to get into the game.

And when going for the field goal, neithef of the halves could be found.

That should be enough for both to be never selected again.

TheRev

First Grade
Pearce was fine.

Agree with others. Main problems the wingers, Hodkinson and for mine cordner/Fifita. Fifita will probably be good for the run. The rest should be fcked off.

Both wingers dummy half running was horrendous, got our sets off to terrible starts. Is mansour back for Penrith this week?
Yep this is spot on.. Hodgkinson was a dud selection this was pretty much universally felt by everyone even before the game.. pearce was fine tbh, not great but not a lot of options for NSW.

But the wingers were bad selections (Hopoate particularly), pick someone with speed, Tedesco would have asked questions all night, need some x-factor and threat out there.

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
pearce was fine tbh, not great but not a lot of options for NSW.

Yeah, if only Austin and Reynolds were playing at the level of Mitchy Pearce... f**k me, there's a dude up the road from me who has a colostomy bag that he doesn't empty nearly as often as he should, and he'd do more in an Origin match than Wayne's dumbarse offspring.

Nugget10

Juniors
How was Pearce fine? He found the grass Once with his long kicks. Everything else was straight down Slaters throat.

40 metres out he put up those useless bombs with no pressure at all. A good half would put it in the corner and make them work it out. Not Mitchell "13th chance" Pearce

After our Forwards laid such a good platform in the 1st half and with a 10-6 lead at half time. Better field position in the 2nd half and we win that game

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Pearce sucks balls, but he was light years ahead of Hodkinson.

Can't believe they didn't play Moylan if they are going to play the least creative halves in origin history.

Parra

Referee
Pearce was total shit. Why is he being defended or even praised? His kicks were useless - maybe two good kicks in the first half where Slater was under a bit of pressure right on the line. No decent attacking kicks for the outside backs. Hardly found the grass. Most kicks to the middle of the field. None to the corners where we could pin them down
Pedestrian in attack. The whole 80,000 in the stadium plus everyone at home knew what he would do on every play.

We keep picking this loser, we keep losing.

Hutty1986

Immortal
When's Adam Reynolds due back? Hodkinson should be the one under the pump here, not Pearce (or, not as much anyway). Any worthwhile 7 demands the ball late in that game and kicks a field goal. Cronk was clinical, as always, and Hodkinson was a timid, scared little muppet.

We all know Pearce can't kick field goals, and I'm f**ked if I know what a half is supposed to do when his team doesn't turn up for the second half and his forwards get absolutely rolled. Did we honestly have more than a few tackles in Qld's 20 that whole second half?

Sleep

Juniors
Hodkinson is a dud. No running game. Passing game isn't great. Kicking game is average. He's a solid defender. Nothing more.

He's totally out of his depth in Origin. He needs to be the first to go. Pearce far outplayed him last night and that's saying something.

MightyMoo

Juniors
Hodkinson is a dud. No running game. Passing game isn't great. Kicking game is average. He's a solid defender. Nothing more.

He's totally out of his depth in Origin. He needs to be the first to go. Pearce far outplayed him last night and that's saying something.

So he deserves the same amount of chances as the golden child?

big hit!

Bench
Yep this is spot on.. Hodgkinson was a dud selection this was pretty much universally felt by everyone even before the game.. pearce was fine tbh, not great but not a lot of options for NSW.

But the wingers were bad selections (Hopoate particularly), pick someone with speed, Tedesco would have asked questions all night, need some x-factor and threat out there.

Agree re halves. Pearce wasn't the problem last night. Kicking wasn't the best but he was seriously let down by his halves partner during the game in general.

Too many sets for NSW where they'd get to tackle 4 and a forward was yet to take a carry. By this stage, the forwards need to get out of it and not start crowding the ruck for a carry. Too much of Tupou, Hoppa & Jennings nothingness from acting half. The QLD field position in the second half and constant defence probably contributed to our middle forwards lack of work, but this is Origin f**kin. Backs taking carries up to tackle 4 isn't going to provide a winning platform. Forwards need to work harder.

Contrast this with Queensland where their forwards f**king work to get back and take the carry after a return from Slater or the backs. Hodges will generally take tackle 2 and then Parker, Scott, Myles roll in allowing Cronk to do his thing later in the count.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
When's Adam Reynolds due back? Hodkinson should be the one under the pump here, not Pearce (or, not as much anyway). Any worthwhile 7 demands the ball late in that game and kicks a field goal. Cronk was clinical, as always, and Hodkinson was a timid, scared little muppet.

We all know Pearce can't kick field goals, and I'm f**ked if I know what a half is supposed to do when his team doesn't turn up for the second half and his forwards get absolutely rolled. Did we honestly have more than a few tackles in Qld's 20 that whole second half?

Word for word how I would've said it.

Go ahead and blame Pearce again if you're a NSWelshman, it's the easy option. OR, pick a halve that compliments him - not one in pitiful form - and address the issues elsewhere on the field. Pearce can play, when he's allowed to. Reynolds and Pearce could absolutely work, and I guess they have James Graham to thank for that not being an option.

Start elsewhere with dropping Jennings, who is a lazy f*ck who never shows up in big games. Either get the kicking game right with Tupou or drop him, because he offers FA else. Find 2 props to compliment Tamou and Woods, who were integral in NSW dominating the first 20, went off and completely lost the impetus. Obviously Gallen will provide a boost there. Find a better contributor than Cordner who is soft as butter. The contrast between him and Guerra is outrageous.

Then you'll consistently compete.

Frailty

First Grade
Word for word how I would've said it.

Go ahead and blame Pearce again if you're a NSWelshman, it's the easy option. OR, pick a halve that compliments him - not one in pitiful form - and address the issues elsewhere on the field. Pearce can play, when he's allowed to. Reynolds and Pearce could absolutely work, and I guess they have James Graham to thank for that not being an option.

Pearce has been given so many goes, and so many partners to work with, and still failed. He wasn't the worst player or half, but how many times do you keep picking him before going "Maybe he shouldn't be picked".

His record speaks for itself.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Pearce was fine.

Fifita got terrible ball all game. He always seemed to get a pass thrown behind him or when he was flatfooted and covered in defence.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Go ahead and blame Pearce again if you're a NSWelshman, it's the easy option. OR, pick a halve that compliments him - not one in pitiful form - and address the issues elsewhere on the field.

2010- Pearce and Barrett. Barrett has the experience to help pearce through the game. Result=blues lose

2011- Pearce and Soward. Sowards kicking game and creativity will help out pearce. Result= blues lose

2012- Pearce and Carney. Carneys combination with roosters from a few years back will help take pressure of pearce. Result= blues lose

2013- Pearce and Maloney. Maloney is bringing a maturity and calmness to Pearce's game and we'll finally see the best from him. Result= blues lose

2014- No Pearce. Result= blues win

2015- Pearce and hodkinson. Hodkinson will steer the team around and mitchell can just focus on his own game and show us the real mitchell and lead us to glory. Result= doesn't look bloody good from here

Last edited: