What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pride thread 🌈

Happy MEel

First Grade
Thats not the right comparison at all ... thise players never actively made any effort to not "tolerate" anything .... they were made to show support for something they disagree with .... the right comparison would be emjaycee having to weat a tshirt saying, f**king your sister in law is great
Ok, so I’ll ask the same question of you re. Indigenous round.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I would totally be pissed off with them, but I have a reasonably strong history with our indigenous peoples having been engaged to one for years.
Same (the pissed off part). So I don’t see the difference between their hypothetical stance and the position taken by these 7.

emjaycee

Coach
Definition of tolerance:
"the ability or willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or disagrees with."

Definition of celebrate:
"honour or praise publicly"

Only the first of the above is a requirement to live in our society, the other is a personal choice and should not result in someone being called a bigot.

Definition of bigot:
"a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

strider

Post Whore
Ok, so I’ll ask the same question of you re. Indigenous round.
Your question is contrived and far fetched. No one has any issue with supporting indigenous people. There is nothing about it that is against anyones beliefs.

What about if some club admin got taken over by hardline religos who wanted their players to wear "repent or you will go to hell" jerseys ala Folau .... would you tolerate it? Would you be ok with players telling them no way?

emjaycee

Coach
Thats not the right comparison at all ... thise players never actively made any effort to not "tolerate" anything .... they were made to show support for something they disagree with .... the right comparison would be emjaycee having to weat a tshirt saying, f**king your sister in law is great
I have 3 married brothers - as if I would wear that t-shirt.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They’re not openly discriminating. But what is certain is that they’ve been asked to show unity and tolerance for others and acceptance for others to live as they wish… and they’ve chosen not to.
That's the line that is trotted out to make it easier for people to 'bend the knee' to the ideology, but 'PRIDE!' and rainbows don't mean unity to many people, they mean homosexuality. The symbols have come to signify a highly sexualised lifestyle and explicit rejection of more traditional cultures. The same rejection that is occurring here by these ethnic minority footballers.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
The ironic thing is, the jersey was promoted as their Everyone In League jersey. At no stage in their press release was anything about LGBTIQ+ mentioned. Seems the 7 didn’t like inclusiveness.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Serious question…Would everyone be fine if 7 of our first grade players came from the Pauline Hanson side of politics and decided to pull out of indigenous round because they didn’t want to wear the jersey and celebrate Aboriginal culture?

I reckon they would be called racist and I’d certainly be one of those that felt they were.
Indigenous identity isn't centred on sexual acts that have, for thousands of years, been considered taboo in many cultures.

emjaycee

Coach
The ironic thing is, the jersey was promoted as their Everyone In League jersey. At no stage in their press release was anything about LGBTIQ+ mentioned. Seems the 7 didn’t like inclusiveness.
The Everyone In League theme, led by Gus Worlens, was hijacked when Manly's jersey designer decided to add the rainbow colours. Roosters jersey had the Everyone In League logo on it.

Serious question…Would everyone be fine if 7 of our first grade players came from the Pauline Hanson side of politics and decided to pull out of indigenous round because they didn’t want to wear the jersey and celebrate Aboriginal culture?

I reckon they would be called racist and I’d certainly be one of those that felt they were.
No, I wouldn't be fine about that.

As others have said, they would be likely deemed racist and disrespectful, and deservedly so.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s an interesting question though. There were a number of current players that came out saying they’d have no problem wearing a rainbow jersey. Im surprised the Christian cohort with these views didn’t come out to support the 7.
Because then they would be under attack, which seems to be the purpose of this continued push to centre sexual identity in our culture. It creates a pretext for bashing religion.

It’s an interesting question though. There were a number of current players that came out saying they’d have no problem wearing a rainbow jersey. Im surprised the Christian cohort with these views didn’t come out to support the 7.
Because maybe "authentic" Christianity (in the as-Jesus-lived-his-life style) is about tolerance and acceptance, not being divisive or supporting homophobes.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Your question is contrived and far fetched. No one has any issue with supporting indigenous people. There is nothing about it that is against anyones beliefs.

What about if some club admin got taken over by hardline religos who wanted their players to wear "repent or you will go to hell" jerseys ala Folau .... would you tolerate it? Would you be ok with players telling them no way?
Are you serious with that 1st paragraph? There are PLENTY of people that have an issue with supporting indigenous people. I think it’s a perfect analogy.

I hear what you’re saying with the 2nd paragraph though. The thing is with that example though, is that it is an intolerant attitude we’d be promoting. The catch 22 is that the boycotting players would not tolerate the intolerant attitude. What a pickle

Happy MEel

First Grade
See my definition of the word tolerance - Pauline Hanson doesnt tolerate our indigenous people and therefore gets to wear the label bigot. Her supporters (in your hypothetical) would also therefore be bigots.
My definition is slightly different and focuses more on attitudes

86438C85-537C-4A2F-937B-C5D5C2EDF000.jpeg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the jersey looks awesome but as a symbol the rainbow is anything but inclusive. That's why the LGBTQI2S+ flag keeps getting stuff added to it:

0_progress-pride-flag.jpg

Latest posts