What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ratings Game - Sports Illustrated.

El Duque

Bench
I might add Spinks wasn't a great heavyweight as he was really a light heavy great.
He only had 5 fights at Heavyweight.
He was the only light Heavy to win a Heavy title unless you count Michael Moorer as well who held the WBO light Heavy belt.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not sure if he counts as being under rated but he seems to be forgotten:

One of the best boxers the world has ever seen was Maitland born, Les Darcy. Whilst looking for opponents in the USA,he was tragically cut down in his prime (aged only 21) in 1917. He died in the USA and was well and truly shafted by all.

In Australia, Darcy had defeated all comers, including the world's best but he left Australia on a controversial tour of Americaat the height of WWI.

The bloke was labelled a coward for deserting Australia just when Mother England needed all able bodied men to become cannon fodder in the 'great war'.

He has been consistently listed as one of the top ten boxers of the 20th century despite his short career. They go on about Ali and the US draft but IMO Darcy hada harder road to deal with.

Some 80 or so years later, he was inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame in Los Angeles in October, 1998.

imported_Jackal

Juniors
WOW ! What a post Cyrptic Messenger. I think I'll print it out, read itand pretend to know more about each fighter than I really do. LOL!
The simulation/real fight between Marciano and Ali would have been awesome to see. I never heard of it until now. Thanks for telling us about it. I also enjoyed readingyour opinion on both champs.
Thanks for an excellent post ..... a two thumbs up. :)

imported_Jackal

Juniors
Sorry bender, I didn't see your earlier post until just now.
Another excellent post ..... and two thumbs up (
emthup.gif
x2)
ps, sorry about the above text and colour format. I have no idea what happened. :)

C

CanadianSteve

I saw the "computer fight" in Toronto when it came out. I was in my teens then, but I remember thinking it wasn't very good. It didn't look real.
Ali later criticized the "outcome" of the fight, saying it made Marciano the winner in order to sell to white audiences in the US. He said they changed the ending in other parts of the world where he was more popular (not sure if this was true).
I saw Ali fight on TV, but was too young to see Marciano. Rocky was about the size of Joe Frazier and I can't imagine he hit any harder than Joe. Ali was bigger, faster, and a better boxer. I'm sure he would have beaten Marciano in his prime. Ali himself said in his autobiography that only Joe Louis would have been a match for him among earlier fighters

C

CanadianSteve

Bender (post #19) I agree with your analysis of why Ali was the greatest, compared to boxers before and after him. I would only take issue with your Top 10. Mike Tyson doesn't belong at #6. As you pointed out he was taken apart and outboxed by Holyfield in 2 matches. Joe Frazier was better than both of them, based on how he gave Ali such great fights. I have a tape of the Rumble in the Jungle - Ali/Frazier 3. It is an awesome display of boxing and courage by both men, contrary to the Sports Illustrated article. They don't have fights like that any more

C

CanadianSteve

Oops - I meant the Thrilla in Manila vs. Frazier - an awesome fight. But the Rumble in the Jungle in Zaire was also a great victory, as most experts at the time rated Foreman as an indestructible knockout machine.
And remember Ali lost the 3 best years of his prime when he was out of action due to refusing to be drafted into the US army.

El Duque

Bench
I can't see Marciano beating Ali and in fact I think he'd lose to a lot of guys.Heavies were not that big back in his day. <table bordercolor=#000000 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=1 border=1> <tbody> <tr> <td></td> <td> Rocky Marciano</td> <td>Muhammad Ali</td></tr> <tr> <td>Heightt</td> <td>5-10 1/4</td> <td>6-3</td></tr> <tr> <td>Weight</td> <td>184</td> <td>210 1/2</td></tr> <tr> <td>Reach</td> <td>68</td> <td>82</td></tr> <tr> <td>Chest/Norm.</td> <td>39</td> <td>43</td></tr> <tr> <td>Chest/Exp.</td> <td>42</td> <td>45 1/2</td></tr> <tr> <td>Waist</td> <td>32</td> <td>34</td></tr> <tr> <td>Biceps</td> <td>14</td> <td>15 1/2</td></tr> <tr> <td>Neck</td> <td>16 3/4</td> <td>17 1/2</td></tr> <tr> <td>Wrist</td> <td>7 1/2</td> <td>8</td></tr> <tr> <td>Calf</td> <td>14 3/4</td> <td>17</td></tr> <tr> <td>Ankle</td> <td>10</td> <td>10</td></tr> <tr> <td>Thigh</td> <td>22</td> <td>25</td></tr> <tr> <td>Fist</td> <td>11 1/2</td> <td>12 1/2</td></tr> <tr> <td>Forearm</td> <td>12</td> <td>15</td></tr></tbody></table>

Ali would be too big too fast and would have a tremendous reach advantage.He could dance around Marciano and pick him off with jabs and throw the odd fast flurry.
Ali KO 9

Canadian Steve,
Can you tell me if the movie you saw with Ali and Marciano was in an animated form or what. Does it look half realistic, or is it one of those special effect things made 40years ago that's not worth much.I wouldn't mind watching it if anyone can tell me where it's available in Sydney.
Some of you guys here are boxing nuts. Good stuff.
Go Bulldoggies.

B

bender

El Duque,

Your right about Bowe and Lewis. I guess i mixed it up, i never really was a huge fan of either, I just thought Bowe was worth mentioning.

Spinks only having five heavyweight fights does surprise me, I guess I only really can remember the fights against Holmes and Cooney particularly well as heavyweight fights butI do remember that he was very good in those fights. I dont think the fact that heonly had such a few fights precludes him from being aheavyweight great.

On the first Bruno fight, I dont think Tyson was as bad as you say. IN fact I thought he was in pretty good form so to speak. Bruno, coming in at the same odds as Ali was in his fight against Liston, actually fought well and did exactly what Ali would do Tyson in dancing around and sticking out the jab. Difference being that Ali would be 10 times quicker and better and could actually take a punch. He'd have tore Tyson apart by the sixth and would have won via TKO, using the infamous Ali wind up punch.

Others,
the Ali video story i had not heard of. I have a new found respect for Marciano and you may have almost turned me with that one. At the very least, I'd like to move Marciano up to 2nd on my list.

On my ranking of Tyson so high, I guess I was swayed by popular opinion,as I cant stand the man and think he is overated butdo acknowledge hehas probably proved me wrong. I was actually the one person who picked thefirst Holyfield upset. It was such a certainty that Ieven tried to put $100 at centrebet but was to slow.

The reason I did not include Frazier was simply because of the way Foreman destroyed him. Probably a little harsh, I guess.

Just other points which i am sure are correct but which El Duque or others may correct my memory,
George Foreman for his title reign was considered a fraud and not ranked with Lewis and others at the time, yet if you trace back the title, his title was the real World Championship since other champions only got the belt through politics.

Evander Holyfield is probably the undisputed greatest Cruiserweight of all time as he fought about 30 fights as a cruiserweight before winning the World heavyweight championship.

On pound for pound fighters, Sugar Ray Leonard must be seriously considered. His victory over Hagler was sensational and despite Haglers protests clearly stamped him as the dominant pound for pound fighter of his era.

On the same note, our own Jeff Fenech was as awesome as anyone when campaining as a featherweight or lower. He never really should have fought above that weight.

The one thing that needs to be remembered about the early heavyweights (Pre Ali) is that they were all undisputed champions and they did not duck fighters like they do now.

Just on a slightly different topic, off the top of my head only, how about a list of the top 10 pound for pound Australian Boxers of all time.

1. Jeff Fenech
2. Johnny Famechon
3. Young Griffo
4. Les Darcy
5. Lionel Rose
6. Jeff Harding
7. Peter Jackson

To be honest, I cant think of any others right now. I know Lester Ellis and Barry Michael were world champions but I would hate to rate either an all time great. Can anyone else fill in some blanks.

T

The Dawson Twins Minus 1

Two names - Sugar Ray Robinson &amp; Jimmy Wilde.

Re Robinson - watch the video "Pound for Pound" - he fought people who could really fight and held two titles when the divisions weren't "Super Junior twinkieweight" as they are today. Repeat - wait till you see him fight - you won't believe anyone else can have the hide to claim they might possibly be better.

Re Wilde: Known as "The Ghost With a Hammer in His Hand", he fought tentfights against vastly heavier opponents - often as many as25 ina day - before he tookthe Flyweightworld title. Points in his favour are:

World's longest uninterrupted title holder, 6 years 6 months
FIGHTS 149 WON 131 LOST 4 DRAWN (No Decision) 14

Check out http://www.geocities.com/johnnyowenboxer/jimmy_wilde.htmlfor a full tally of his fights (they almost ran out of "K"s and "O"s to record all his knockouts.

Regards,
TDT-1

T

The Dawson Twins Minus 1

Bender! Want to add Dave Sands to your list? Let's just quietly swap Jeff Harding for him and we'll replace (an admittedly v. tough) punching bag for a real fighter.

Regards,
TDT-1

Latest posts