What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really Early NSW Team 2012 Thread That Will Be Hated By All!!!

timka4

Bench
Most players have good highlight reels, I just find between his good plays he is pretty average. I think he is good, but I'm just not seeing him being in the top 5 NSW backrowers.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Perhaps not, but probably number 1 off the bench for impact.

Which is how he will be used.

jbl31649

Juniors
I think they should consider T-rex for game 3, pending our success in the first 2. We all know defence is a major factor in winning at SOO level. I rather see Lewis, G.Stewart, B.Scott, Bird and Watmough for the first 2.

timka4

Bench
I like those 5 backrowers as well jb. If Williams can keep his form up till origin, I wouldn't mind him playing impact off the bench. I'd prefer Sims though, just my opinion.

RHCP

Bench
Anthony Watmough
Greg Bird
Luke Lewis
Beau Scott
The rest.

In that order. Is there room for T-Rex? Possibly. But not over those four.

farmeister

Juniors
Anthony Watmough
Greg Bird
Luke Lewis
Beau Scott
The rest.

In that order. Is there room for T-Rex? Possibly. But not over those four.

Yeah I feel the same about Williams for now. I worry that he's one of those players who is absolutely destructive when his team is already on top, but not necessarily that effective in a tight match against high quality opposition. (Reminds me a bit of Dave Taylor actually...)

Also, good form for Australia unfortunately doesn't always translate into good form for NSW, as we've seen with players like Kite and B. Morris.

I'd still take Scott over Williams at this stage. Even if Scott isn't much use in attack, his defense is unbelievable. I think NSW really missed him in Game 3 this year.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Bird is usually good for NSW, but thought he was poor this year, besides that try he set up.

Watmough is awesome when firing, but he's just a dumb footballer at times. Hopefully he's firing next year.

Scott was probably our best back rower for NSW in Game 1 and 2. His defence is amazing and he's got shitloads of mongrel which is what NSW need. I really rate him and want him there again next year.

I reckon Williams should make the 17, though. I have to admit, I'm not usually a fan of picking fancy players in the forwards for NSW e.g Mateo was being thrown around in here before. I would usually rather a pack of hard workers, but I reckon Williams is a different kettle of fish. He's someone that NSW haven't really had before and his impact off the bench could be awesome.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Thread needs to be bought back to life after the 4Nations game.

Watmough is a good player and I think he needs a spot when firing he's quick, strong and to be honest he's the "Grub" we need on the field one that's not afraid to get dirty.

Lawrence, Good options a few defensive flaws in him but solid. Just thinking whether he looks allot better due to Marshall behind him or if it's all on his own and if he will shine in a blues jersey.

Galloway. My opinion the most over-hyped player in the Tigers and 4Nations team. Offers nothing dramatic that screams for attention and we do have better options over him.

typicalfan

Coach
Bird was one of our best all series. Gallen aside he was probably our best player.

He is a must. I think Tony Williams is too much of a liability. Tariq Sims gives you size and workrate, not just size.

Williams needs to make more than his token 10 tackles per match imo to be origin quality.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Bird's a workhorse who always gives 110% He was there in the break and build up to Pearce's try and is a strong "Go-To" go with a few big hit-ups in him. He plays for the 80minutes and never gives up.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Speed in our forwards is the key to beating Qld. Run them round the middle, tiring out their big fellas

Gallen, Watmough, Lewis, Scott and Bird are a must.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Watmough is so good when he's firing. Not just the aggression and mongrel he has, but I reckon he and probably Lewis have the best footwork out of all the forwards, by far. I don't know how Watmough does it, but he sort of runs straight towards the defence and then at the last second, he'll change angle and run sideways and there will be a massive overlap out wide. He doesn't do it enough, or doesn't always pass it when he's created the overlap though. I'd love to see him do it a bit more.

typicalfan

Coach
Watmough is so good when he's firing. Not just the aggression and mongrel he has, but I reckon he and probably Lewis have the best footwork out of all the forwards, by far. I don't know how Watmough does it, but he sort of runs straight towards the defence and then at the last second, he'll change angle and run sideways and there will be a massive overlap out wide. He doesn't do it enough, or doesn't always pass it when he's created the overlap though. I'd love to see him do it a bit more.
He just lacks that concentration on the little things, my only criticism...on the field anyway.

Glenn Stewart has the footwork and the ball playing but maybe lacks the penetration a Watmough has or speed.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
He just lacks that concentration on the little things, my only criticism...on the field anyway.
Yeah, me too. He's great when firing, but can do dumb shit and his hands let him down. Still has to be a must pick though, at least on the bench (which is probably where he'd be used more effectively anyway)

timka4

Bench
Yeah Galloway didn't really seem to impress over the whole 4N. Once more from what I saw he got very limited game time however.

A prop who I think is very under rated and who hasn't been mentioned much is Luke Douglas, he is a great player.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Can only work out from next-years form though and injuries. We got pretty unlucky in the injury department this year. Jennings impressed me in GameI but it still comes down to Lawrence v Jennings. I think Hayne needs that center spot allows him to play his speed game and get a better foot in on the kicking brilliance he brings as opposed to being on the wing also allows us to play more damaging wingers like Uate/Gordon.etc.

RHCP

Bench
typicalfan is also a very wise fan.

Yeah Galloway didn't really seem to impress over the whole 4N. Once more from what I saw he got very limited game time however.

A prop who I think is very under rated and who hasn't been mentioned much is Luke Douglas, he is a great player.
Tough as nails too. Not only the ludicrous amount of consecutive games he played (and in the front row!) but there was an article I read this year about the dedication he had to get back on the park for Cronulla when he was injured. They said 6 weeks, I believe, and this is really testing my memory, he didn't miss a game (or only one).

Don't buy into the KEITHYYY hype either.

jbl31649

Juniors
Yeah, me too. He's great when firing, but can do dumb shit and his hands let him down. Still has to be a must pick though, at least on the bench (which is probably where he'd be used more effectively anyway)

He does have an error or 2 that can creap in. I put that down do him over doing things at times. What has always stumped me with Choc though, is if he stands next to others, he really isn't that big, but he still manages to break tackles.

He's got to be there though, he'll give 100% and I agree with most at origin level he is probably better starting on the bench and rotating with Scott.

typicalfan

Coach
typicalfan is also a very wise fan.

Tough as nails too. Not only the ludicrous amount of consecutive games he played (and in the front row!) but there was an article I read this year about the dedication he had to get back on the park for Cronulla when he was injured. They said 6 weeks, I believe, and this is really testing my memory, he didn't miss a game (or only one).

Don't buy into the KEITHYYY hype either.
I don't think I am old enough for that.

We have plenty of good club props but not many good rep props. Guys like Douglas, Tolman, Galloway and Snowden perform outside origin but you feel that Scott and Petero would outplay them time after time.

Give me Douglas over King anyday.