What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

adamkungl

Immortal
Why are you using stats that forwards are measured on to compare halves? Are you a simpleton? Halves don't win games by playing like Nathan Hindmarsh.

Look at kick, try and line break assists stats to measure the form of a half.

Forwards don't even win matches by playing like Nathan Hindmarsh :sarcasm:

timka4

Bench
This is the team i think will get selected by Stuart and co... not what i would have....

Hayne
Morris
Gasnier
Idris
Uate
Gidley
Pearce
Snowden
Ennis
Weyman
Creagh
Gallen (c)
Bird

Lewis
Mannah
TLL
Young
I was going to post a team I thought Sticky and crew were going to pick. I think that might be on the money, minus Creagh however. Dont know who i would have there instead though

Didgi

Waanh, someone criticised your shitty stats on an internet forum?

Fking NRL Stats has removed that awesome page they had before, now I use telegraph NRL/telegraph fantasy bits (ok for most) or the match by match part of NRL stats.

If I were NSWmen, I'd want 6. Soward 7. Mullen. If 6. Gidley 7. Pearce happens, imma piss myself laughing.

jbl31649

Juniors
Waanh, someone criticised your shitty stats on an internet forum?

Fking NRL Stats has removed that awesome page they had before, now I use telegraph NRL/telegraph fantasy bits (ok for most) or the match by match part of NRL stats.

If I were NSWmen, I'd want 6. Soward 7. Mullen. If 6. Gidley 7. Pearce happens, imma piss myself laughing.

Not my stats, they are THE stats. Just no need to call people simpltons or F#ckwits or any other insults, keep civil. Also if your pissing yourself, you should see a doctor or where a nappy!

Didgi

Oh dear... Because metres made and tackles is a good indication of a half.

By the way,

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-fn2mcuj6-1226018492281?from=public_rss

1130: USER COMMENTS
Jason Gabanski wonders why Pearce hasn't come under the same criticism as Soward: how can pearce be selected then? he doesnt take the line on, he goes missing in games where his team needs him to do something. he is predictable all he does against defensive teams is the bomb

Gaba, criticising Pearce against good defensive teams, the bomb, etc?

jbl31649

Juniors
Oh dear... Because metres made and tackles is a good indication of a half.

By the way,

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-fn2mcuj6-1226018492281?from=public_rss

Gaba, criticising Pearce against good defensive teams, the bomb, etc?

No! Stats are stats, you do with them what you like. I was still looking for sites that show a whole picture and just posted a small slice.

Even then stats don't show a players ability to direct a team or his communication skills etc...

I was trying to get a standard set of stats shown of the top 5 from each stat and now I have done that, but yet to post. (seems like no one wants them, so I will save your eyes the pain).

Big Pete

Referee
I'll help you out jbl.

Other top stats for halfbacks

Field Goals
Johnathan Thurston: 0
Trent Hodkinson: 0
Jarrod Mullen: 0
Mitchell Pearce: 0
Cooper Cronk: 1

Top Mouth Guard Throw metres
Johnathan Thurston: 27m
Jarrod Mullen: 0m
Mitchell Pearce: 0m
Trent Hodkinson: 0m
Cooper Cronk: 0m

Most Cuss Words
Johnathan Thurston: 543*
Jarrod Mullen: 16
Trent Hodkinson: 4
Mitchell Pearce: 34
Cooper Cronk: 17

* is hella a swear word?

Interesting stuff.

jbl31649

Juniors
you forgot a some like -

Whinging to the ref to change the decission
Laying down
Voluntry tackles
Hiding behind your forwards
Shagging you mates wife (or maybe thats just for AFL)
Public nuisance

Parra Guru

Coach
Maybe we should open a "Kurt Gidley, F**K OFF TO ENGLAND" fund.... Seems that's the only way we'll get some decent change for the Blues.

Joker's Wild

Coach
kurtdemov.png

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Coach's Box: Pearce and Gidley for Blues halves

Graham Murray NRL.com

Next week's City-Country could well determine some key positions for the NSW Origin team, in particular who plays hooker, but there are two spots I would pick right now – Mitchell Pearce at halfback and Kurt Gidley as five-eighth and captain.

While the 1, 6, 7 and 9 are a little contentious for the Blues, regardless of how they play this weekend or next Friday in the City-Country or Test matches, Pearce and Gidley should be the halves pairing for this year's Origin series. And I would have Jarryd Hayne at fullback.

The Blues have adopted Queensland's philosophy with Ricky Stuart as full-time coach, and I think they should also follow another Maroon philosophy of not worrying about how people are playing at club level or how their team is going.

While the Roosters haven't had a great start to the season with just two wins, Pearce played Origin last year and played well at the back end of the season; he's tough, strong and a good defender. And with Pearce's team-mate Todd Carney not available, I would pick Gidley at five-eighth.

Again the Knights haven't started the season remarkably well, but Gidley is so consistent and reliable. While he is often chosen as a utility and probably will get selected in that role for the Test against New Zealand on Friday week, he has been playing five-eighth for his club and would be great there for the Blues.

The same could be said of Hayne and the Eels, but coming off an enforced rest for his two-game suspension may be a good thing for Hayne for Origin.

While Cameron Smith picks himself for Queensland as hooker, our blokes are hard to separate. I keep changing my mind on whether Michael Ennis or Robbie Farah would be the best choice. Ennis probably has the edge for me at the moment but there is an argument for both. It will come down to how Ricky wants to play them.

While I said individual and team form don't neccessarily count for Origin selection, the Bulldogs are going well and Ennis is a major reason for that. With Farah, when he has played rep footy in the past he doesn't do as much as he does with the Wests Tigers. He needs to take a more dominant role like Cameron Smith does.

The City-Country game will be important for Ennis and Farah: you don't necessarily get yourself into the Origin team playing in City-Country, but you can play yourself out of it with a below-par performance.

With Queenslanders likely to dominate the Test team (to be named Sunday) – at least 11 of the 17 spots – the next best 34 players in the country who are not Queenslanders will be playing City-Country. That makes me excited.

City-Country is a great tradition that should always be part of the rugby league calendar. Although I have coached NSW and City, I have spent a fair bit of time living in Queensland (as former Cowboys coach and now with Wynnum Manly) and it is interesting hearing their take on the match. They think City-Country is great because NSW players belt each other around then back up a few weeks later for Queensland to bash them around again.

I think there should always be a place for it. All players have rep footy goals. Everyone in club footy wants to win a premiership but only one team can – but everyone can share in the spoils of rep footy and do want to represent whether it is City, Country, NSW, QLD or Australia.

The best players should be picked, whether they are in contention for Origin or not. This game breathes life into country footy; it leaves excitement in the country. They want to watch the next best lot of players outside of the Test team play and to see their enthusiasm for the town they are playing in.

Coaches and clubs need to put self-interest aside and be really supportive of players playing rep footy – even though they are potentially losing a player for their next match or there is a chance of injury.

When I was under-23s coach at the Panthers I always wanted my players to get the chance to play up a grade; and the same was the case in the NRL. I wanted them to get selected and I was always excited when players made rep teams. I would send them texts or ring them. When they were back with the club we would make a big deal of them and let them know how proud everyone was of them.

The media will always say it doesn't mean as much to the City players as it does to the Country players, but as a former City coach I know they were all very proud to earn a rep jersey.

I remember one year playing at Wagga when City won and John Skandalis was named man of the match. John didn't get named in the Origin team but he was very proud of that award and his performance for City.

http://www.nrl.com/coachs-box-pearce-and-gidley-for-blues-halves/tabid/10874/newsid/62499/default.aspx

timka4

Bench
It's amazing, how these "professional coaches" come up with all of these selections. What do they see that we don't see. Maybe we are the stupid ones..

Goddo

Bench
FK if Gidley plays 5/8 and Pearce halfback we are monumentally screwed. I'll be cheering on Queensland if thats the case.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I hope that is hyperbole Goddo

NSW could field Jeff Robson and John Sutton in the halves and it would not turn me into a Qlder