What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Mojo

Bench
It's probably why Griffin is not worried about job security and seems calm and collected on this front, already knows he's gone
Yep! Resigned to his fate. Big payout / long holiday.. so long, and thanks for all the memories. The game's been kind to him. I reckon he would probably agree. I doubt he will retire poor and, since he has the hide of a rhino, I reckon he'll be just fine.

Parko1310

Juniors
Nothing to lose.
I disagree, what about the season? Yes the season looks like it could be bleak, but you can't just give up. That's just a losers mentality on show if they've seriously lost all hope. Why is Hook still there if you pretty much know he's gone? Just get an interim in if that's the case.

The real issue at this club is at the board level, and one or a few of them continue to leak to the media. Whoever it is can piss off as far as I'm concerned. Leaks prove there is a divide and their reasons for leaking are almost always selfish. Until the Gordon's sell and the Illawarra/St George debate ends there won't be much movement in the club. We may even play finals on the odd occasion, but we'll win nothing. Unite the board, unite the club. It really isn't hard to see where the main issues lie. Hook, good coach or not, is not the issue with the club itself.

Mojo

Bench
I disagree, what about the season? Yes the season looks like it could be bleak, but you can't just give up. That's just a losers mentality on show if they've seriously lost all hope. Why is Hook still there if you pretty much know he's gone? Just get an interim in if that's the case.

The real issue at this club is at the board level, and one or a few of them continue to leak to the media. Whoever it is can piss off as far as I'm concerned. Leaks prove there is a divide and their reasons for leaking are almost always selfish. Until the Gordon's sell and the Illawarra/St George debate ends there won't be much movement in the club. We may even play finals on the odd occasion, but we'll win nothing. Unite the board, unite the club. It really isn't hard to see where the main issues lie. Hook, good coach or not, is not the issue with the club itself.
We are actually in agreement. By 'nothing to lose' I mean we should make changes immediately. It's public knowledge anyway - and it's also not the core issue. However, it can only be for the better as, right now, were just wrestling in the same mud puddle.

The 50/50 ownership structure always was a recipe for disaster. Where there is no 'dominant' partner and two 'camps', there will always be stalemates and delays. No wonder everyone from the CEO down can't seem to take any decisive actions. Everyone would be looking over their shoulders and wondering who they should be talking to about what. There can't possibly be any unity of purpose or clarity in medium and long-term strategic planning. The current shareholders need to agree to put 100% of the business on the market, transfer their equity into a single holding entity, or at least sell a majority stake to a third party. IMO, this should be the only item on the agenda for a special board meeting and nobody goes home until there's a unanimous resolution.

Parko1310

Juniors
We are actually in agreement. By 'nothing to lose' I mean we should make changes immediately. It's public knowledge anyway - and it's also not the core issue. However, it can only be for the better as, right now, were just wrestling in the same mud puddle.

The 50/50 ownership structure always was a recipe for disaster. Where there is no 'dominant' partner and two 'camps', there will always be stalemates and delays. No wonder everyone from the CEO down can't seem to take any decisive actions. Everyone would be looking over their shoulders and wondering who they should be talking to about what. There can't possibly be any unity of purpose or clarity in medium and long-term strategic planning. The current shareholders need to agree to put 100% of the business on the market, transfer their equity into a single holding entity, or at least sell a majority stake to a third party. IMO, this should be the only item on the agenda for a special board meeting and nobody goes home until there's a unanimous resolution.
Would be a dream to see 100% sold to a competent owner with one vision, who's willing to put money into the club.

kit66

Bench
Ryles might do the trick but really how much can you blame Hook for our woes, he inherited close to the worst roster in the NRL, a fairly toxic culture by all accounts, a divided and incompetent management / Board and a bewilderingly bad recruitment strategy and to top it off 10 years of mediocrity and abject failure on the coaching front prior to Hooks arrival. I pity Hook almost as much as I'll pity his replacement.

Illusion

Bench
Ryles might do the trick but really how much can you blame Hook for our woes, he inherited close to the worst roster in the NRL, a fairly toxic culture by all accounts, a divided and incompetent management / Board and a bewilderingly bad recruitment strategy and to top it off 10 years of mediocrity and abject failure on the coaching front prior to Hooks arrival. I pity Hook almost as much as I'll pity his replacement.
Hook in my opinion , did nothing but make it worse , with his selections and his players he had signed from his coaching days that were ready to retire ...... For a coach that was supose to be big on defence failed there , No attack at all , he has lost the shed , there has been no improvement at all anywhere ....... Throw in Hunt that seems to have too much say with what goes on , and young blokes that want out , yep he does have a lot to do with it ...... Yes the players are are not showing up , = Hook and Co .......

kit66

Bench
Hook in my opinion , did nothing but make it worse , with his selections and his players he had signed from his coaching days that were ready to retire ...... For a coach that was supose to be big on defence failed there , No attack at all , he has lost the shed , there has been no improvement at all anywhere ....... Throw in Hunt that seems to have too much say with what goes on , and young blokes that want out , yep he does have a lot to do with it ...... Yes the players are are not showing up , = Hook and Co .......

I can't really agree with you Illusion, sorry mate. Our 10th on the ladder in 2022 with 12 wins 12 losses was our 2nd best result in 12 years and in the past that 12 wins would have seen you play finals footy. He did that with our unenviable Roster, with just one (32 year old) marquee player in the team and more than a few reserve graders masquerading as 1st graders. 2021 even being the debacle it was was still an improvement on 2020 and 2019.
You don't approve of his selections week to week and neither do many others on here including me but we're just fans, armchair coaches and really have no idea what it's like in the trenches.
I don't know how much say Hook had on recruitment, he probably wanted better signings than McCullough, McGuire, Norman etc but maybe management wouldn't approve other choices or offer up the funds to buy better players we don't know. We do know some quality targets declined our offers, is that Hook's fault or the Club's perceived culture and lack of tpa incentives etc.
I agree very much that Hunt has a lot of influence on the team and maybe a say in who gets recruited and who gets picked each week - we saw glimpses of cliquey behaviour on the field with, for instance McCullough favouring certain players with the ball and shunning others - very obvious when Amone first made the team regularly.

DfL

Juniors
I can't really agree with you Illusion, sorry mate. Our 10th on the ladder in 2022 with 12 wins 12 losses was our 2nd best result in 12 years and in the past that 12 wins would have seen you play finals footy. He did that with our unenviable Roster, with just one (32 year old) marquee player in the team and more than a few reserve graders masquerading as 1st graders. 2021 even being the debacle it was was still an improvement on 2020 and 2019.
You don't approve of his selections week to week and neither do many others on here including me but we're just fans, armchair coaches and really have no idea what it's like in the trenches.
I don't know how much say Hook had on recruitment, he probably wanted better signings than McCullough, McGuire, Norman etc but maybe management wouldn't approve other choices or offer up the funds to buy better players we don't know. We do know some quality targets declined our offers, is that Hook's fault or the Club's perceived culture and lack of tpa incentives etc.
I agree very much that Hunt has a lot of influence on the team and maybe a say in who gets recruited and who gets picked each week - we saw glimpses of cliquey behaviour on the field with, for instance McCullough favouring certain players with the ball and shunning others - very obvious when Amone first made the team regularly.

Tbh I think who ever comes in to coach next will find success off the back of hook. As hated as he is, he has earthed and got the best out of a few individuals. Although his coaching may be old school and boring. I do think he has stabilised our cap and cleared out a few dead beats excluding woodsy who he signed (good for culture). I think he has done enough for the head coaching role to look attractive to other coaches coming in. I feel as if though he’s played the same part brown did prior to Bennett but are probably alittle worse off.

lombard

Juniors
Yep! Resigned to his fate. Big payout / long holiday.. so long, and thanks for all the memories. The game's been kind to him. I reckon he would probably agree. I doubt he will retire poor and, since he has the hide of a rhino, I reckon he'll be just fine.
The payout to Hook if he lasts the whole season will be nothing as his contract is up end of this season. Even if he doesn't last the full year it should only be a pro-rata payment as the season I think starts 1 November so his contract is already 4 months paid.

Illusion

Bench
All good mate you are intitled to your opinion , we are all here for one thing and thats to see our team once again become a force ...... The last 12 years are really the Boards fault for all this , wether its Hooks fault or Marys fault , or Prices before ...... IT'S THE BOARDS FAULT FOR ALL THE BAD DECISIONS .........

justadragon

Bench
Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Tbh I think who ever comes in to coach next will find success off the back of hook. As hated as he is, he has earthed and got the best out of a few individuals. Although his coaching may be old school and boring. I do think he has stabilised our cap and cleared out a few dead beats excluding woodsy who he signed (good for culture). I think he has done enough for the head coaching role to look attractive to other coaches coming in. I feel as if though he’s played the same part brown did prior to Bennett but are probably alittle worse off.
Cleared out a few dead beats? He brought McGuire, McCulloch, Woods to the club.
And here is a FACT. I heard this from a board member, he wanted to re-sign Corey Norman and Craig Young had to step in and say no way.
Let that sink in.

Latest posts