What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes DD, I can remember at the time of the mergers, the fans of the Dragons, Illawarra, Balmain and West's were all told that the mergers would be a great thing and that the JVs would be "super clubs". Why is it then that both JVs hang around the bottom of the table and appear to be getting worse? The NRL sold the fans a pup I think. But it is what it is and I don't think there is any way of going back. Rather we need to concentrate on finding a way forward and lift the club out of its current mediocre level. Is the attempt to have the Board chairman have a 3 year term (instead of 1 year) a step towards better long range planning and stability? I really hope so.
I'm hoping that the heavies of our club can work more effectively in making good, strong, better decisions and being together aiming for positive results in the years ahead and keeping us in the top 8 for a long time. I'm a dreamer, I know, but I think that there is good change coming and better things to come OED.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well researched and argued DD. I'm just glad we're not the West or Western Dragons as there's sure to be some pressure (particularly from those pushing for a third Brisbane franchise) for a club with West something in the title to relocate to Perth.
Thanks redandwhite4evr. The thought of us being known as the Western Dragons and being outposted to that western state would make most here and Dragons fans in general just give up following league. Our brand with the link to St George should never ever be changed.

CronullaSaint

Juniors
I'm hoping that the heavies of our club can work more effectively in making good, strong, better decisions and being together aiming for positive results in the years ahead and keeping us in the top 8 for a long time. I'm a dreamer, I know, but I think that there is good change coming and better things to come OED.
Im hoping too DD. I thought things would start changing when we freed ourselves from Mary, but here we are still waiting. I actually think there is a plan but it will take time. I hope that our next coach is someone from outside the club. The important thing is that players see it as a positive playing for him. So I don't think Young is our solution for now.

Parko1310

Juniors
Yes DD, I can remember at the time of the mergers, the fans of the Dragons, Illawarra, Balmain and West's were all told that the mergers would be a great thing and that the JVs would be "super clubs". Why is it then that both JVs hang around the bottom of the table and appear to be getting worse? The NRL sold the fans a pup I think. But it is what it is and I don't think there is any way of going back. Rather we need to concentrate on finding a way forward and lift the club out of its current mediocre level. Is the attempt to have the Board chairman have a 3 year term (instead of 1 year) a step towards better long range planning and stability? I really hope so.
Honestly I think the JV's COULD have been these super clubs that were promised. And they still can. It's been up to the bone heads in the board room to make it happen, and instead they've argued, been stubborn and selfish. Once they get their shit together and realise what they actually have, then they will become what was promised. The fault is not on the league, it's on the board of the Dragons.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Honestly I think the JV's COULD have been these super clubs that were promised. And they still can. It's been up to the bone heads in the board room to make it happen, and instead they've argued, been stubborn and selfish. Once they get their shit together and realise what they actually have, then they will become what was promised. The fault is not on the league, it's on the board of the Dragons.
In the best of all possible worlds, I would love the Board of the Dragons to front a meeting of members and be quizzed about their vision for the future. I, like so many on this forum, suspect that Win Corp lacks people who are passionate about Rugby League- it's just not in their DNA. That's what I suspect as I never hear a word from the Gordons about Rugby League or see them attend matches. I could be very wrong- but I need convincing of that. I need to hear from them directly that they will not rest until the Dragons are winning premierships and Rugby League is the premier sport in the Illawarra. And if I'm not wrong, I want Win to sell their share of the Franchise to someone like Paul Smith and get out of the way.

Dragon David

First Grade
In the best of all possible worlds, I would love the Board of the Dragons to front a meeting of members and be quizzed about their vision for the future. I, like so many on this forum, suspect that Win Corp lacks people who are passionate about Rugby League- it's just not in their DNA. That's what I suspect as I never hear a word from the Gordons about Rugby League or see them attend matches. I could be very wrong- but I need convincing of that. I need to hear from them directly that they will not rest until the Dragons are winning premierships and Rugby League is the premier sport in the Illawarra. And if I'm not wrong, I want Win to sell their share of the Franchise to someone like Paul Smith and get out of the way.
Here, here redandwhite4evr.

denis preston

First Grade
Well researched and argued DD. I'm just glad we're not the West or Western Dragons as there's sure to be some pressure (particularly from those pushing for a third Brisbane franchise) for a club with West something in the title to relocate to Perth.
Aren’t all NRL clubs getting a30 year guarantee in staying in the comp ?

possm

Coach
Im hoping too DD. I thought things would start changing when we freed ourselves from Mary, but here we are still waiting. I actually think there is a plan but it will take time. I hope that our next coach is someone from outside the club. The important thing is that players see it as a positive playing for him. So I don't think Young is our solution for now.
St George need to find another partner at NRL level and develop a good relationship with the Illawarra Club (our feeder Club). Let Illawarra run our junior pathways leading right through to NSW Cup.

Reactions: WTC

Dragon David

First Grade
Won their clubman of the year last year. Must count for something. I think he looked very good so far for Souths but players do tend to look better when they play amongst better players. Moot point but if we were to try and get Host back now we'd be paying more than what he was on at the time.
Host won't be coming back. He has re-signed to the end of 2025 with Souths

So another up and coming junior gone in James Walsh.
Looked like he was making a solid transition from the centres to the second row.
Scored a really good try last weekend after a very determined run beating several defenders.

randomdragon

Juniors
So another up and coming junior gone in James Walsh.
Looked like he was making a solid transition from the centres to the second row.
Scored a really good try last weekend after a very determined run beating several defenders.
we have other juniors who are probably ahead of him... Dylan Egan and nick tsougranis

shiloh dc

Juniors
The Dragons are so strong a brand that if they ever ended up in dire financial circumstance there should be a queue to purchase them. If for any unforeseen reason they are forced to relocate the only palatable solution would be to revert back 100% to the St George Dragons and relocate to the town of St George in Qld. Open a token shop in that town but buy a existing club in Brisbane and play all games at Suncorp as the St George Dragons.

It would make retiring to Hope Island an easier decision!

Mojo

Bench
The Dragons are so strong a brand that if they ever ended up in dire financial circumstance there should be a queue to purchase them. If for any unforeseen reason they are forced to relocate the only palatable solution would be to revert back 100% to the St George Dragons and relocate to the town of St George in Qld. Open a token shop in that town but buy a existing club in Brisbane and play all games at Suncorp as the St George Dragons.

It would make retiring to Hope Island an easier decision!
Supporting St George is already living in Hope Island.