What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
With all of this negative stuff that has happened in the past few hours, I'm not so keen now to even watch the bloomin' SOO. In fact I couldn't care less what the outcome is as it is just greedy NRL/ARL media money making business.

The plight the Dragons are in and how they should get out of the doldrums is my concern, not SOO shit.

RedVee_8

Juniors
With all of this negative stuff that has happened in the past few hours, I'm not so keen now to even watch the bloomin' SOO. In fact I couldn't care less what the outcome is as it is just greedy NRL/ARL media money making business.

The plight the Dragons are in and how they should get out of the doldrums is my concern, not SOO shit.
Watch the game tonight mate, take our mind off it for a while. There are no Saints in blue to remind us

TheRev

Coach
As I always said come on down Des
From reports.. Des made it pretty simple "full control or nothing", at the time we only had half a board interested in him in the first place.. so giving up the footy dept was not on the cards.. but fast forward to today... maybe its a different conversation.

However I would still suspect Hornby/Young are in the box seat.. but there is far more pressure now on the club.. they could sit there and laugh about never being 'spooners' before, now they are literally the definition of spooners.. and by a good margin. Sponsors r leaving.. and the blowtorch is f**king on.

Dragon David

First Grade
My only hope is Bellamy retires, Slater gets interested in coaching an NRL side and the Storm appoint him without even giving Ryles a chance. Slater gets the Storm job and Ryles is extended as assistant until Slater retires in 20 years.
They are my sentiments too Slip. We were hoodwinked well and truly but better to have this happened to us now than halfway through 2024 and us saying the usual sack him stuff again like the others. His heart to me was never with the Dragons, never in a million years. I don't want anyone who has no heart for us, no one.

The Storm will one day flounder and will take a while to rebuild. Nobody could have seen the Broncos coming last but they did in 2020, so fingers crossed, it will happen to the Storm. I won't be around though to see it happen, that is the problem. So whomever is fighting on, please send a message through the grapevine and give the thumbs up that it happened.

RedVee_8

Juniors
My only hope is Bellamy retires, Slater gets interested in coaching an NRL side and the Storm appoint him without even giving Ryles a chance. Slater gets the Storm job and Ryles is extended as assistant until Slater retires in 20 years.
Slip, is Mimis the manager that Gould is tight with? Could be how Gus knew what was happening?

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
These events are what happens when your entire focus is driving down costs. Sure they can currently claim that they're turning a profit but there's only so much cost you can take out before you impact quality. And once that happens, income dives and suddenly you're not making a profit either.

I blame Bruce. The Dragons are a plaything to distract his kids. The sooner the entire place is packed up, sold off to News Corp and relocated to Perth the better.

I'll still watch and I'll still cheer them on. Because right now there's nothing left to cheer for.

Dragon David

First Grade
Who knows? May have been the last straw, but I can't imagine it being the only factor. I would imagine poor on-field performance with no turnaround in sight would have been a bigger factor, but that's only conjecture on my part.
What major sponsor wants to see who they are sponsoring coming last. I'm sure that just seeing that would have made the Bank lose interest in us on top of all of the other negative stuff that has hampered our progress along the years going back to 2012.

It is highly unlikely that the Bank would come back to sponsor us again.

Wow, what a day it has been? Just crazy and that's me as well for following this club since the changeover to the joint venture that had so much promise even though we lost to the Storm in 1999.

The way that the club went about things was too decent. Instead of "politely" telling Hook that he could apply for the job again. They should have told him nothing and did things on the very quiet and got a new coach signed up and then told Hook to go and then the new coach could have been announced soon after, not the dilly dallying that is going on now. They have done things arse up in my opinion.

Mojo

Bench
While Gus was correct that Ryles was not coming, I find it strange that a paid official at another club is telling the Dragon's who should or should not take the coaching role. Look after your own club and don't worry about others as you can get into very dangerous territory.

I also find it strange that based on oress reports Ryles was all but signed at the Dragon's yet has suddenly signed with the Storm. Either the press are crap or Ryles was hedging his bets as I am sure it's not something he rushed into signing with the Storm if he was not in negotiations with them concurrently with the Dragon's.
Agree on all points.

1. Blatantly unethical of Gus to even discuss the matter with Ryles.

2. Silly of Ryles to consult Gus anyway. As if the advice would be objective and unbiased.

3. Probably a reasonable business strategy for Ryles and Melbourne to be negotiating secretly but I think indicative of a lack of trustworthiness in Ryles.

overall, I think we’ve probably dodged a bullet.

getsmarty

Immortal
This piece truly represents the club know.

They prefer power to winning, professionalism, becoming a top tier club and recruiting the best players and coach to represent the club. All they want is to be part of the comp and to continue on their merry way. It seems that they don't care about the supports after 13 years of the crap that has been dished out to us.

"Not want to be in the Wayne Bennett situation" yes, it was so crap when he was here.

You just have to laugh at these imposters and have a giggle to what's going to be served up, all the spin and watching the club become irrelevant.

Well said @SEAT 1A .... The sad part is nothing will change....

getsmarty

Immortal
From reports.. Des made it pretty simple "full control or nothing", at the time we only had half a board interested in him in the first place.. so giving up the footy dept was not on the cards.. but fast forward to today... maybe its a different conversation.

However I would still suspect Hornby/Young are in the box seat.. but there is far more pressure now on the club.. they could sit there and laugh about never being 'spooners' before, now they are literally the definition of spooners.. and by a good margin. Sponsors r leaving.. and the blowtorch is f**king on.

Correct @TheRev .

getsmarty

Immortal
They are my sentiments too Slip. We were hoodwinked well and truly but better to have this happened to us now than halfway through 2024 and us saying the usual sack him stuff again like the others. His heart to me was never with the Dragons, never in a million years. I don't want anyone who has no heart for us, no one.

The Storm will one day flounder and will take a while to rebuild. Nobody could have seen the Broncos coming last but they did in 2020, so fingers crossed, it will happen to the Storm. I won't be around though to see it happen, that is the problem. So whomever is fighting on, please send a message through the grapevine and give the thumbs up that it happened.

@Dragon David ...always look forward to reading your insightful comments...

Unfortunately you are wrong re Ryles...Fault lies with us...

Latest posts