What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

kit66

Bench
Can you remind me of the games Sullivan helped us win the year?
Most of the Sullivan hype or even Sloane and Amone for that matter is they won an SG Ball together.
what games have they helped ice in first grade…
I will reserve judgement on KF as I see him as an upgrade on Mbye but cheaper to fill the 14 position

You mean out of the 5 games we won this year ? How many did Hunt win us ? Kind of a moot point really.
FYI - Hunt's win percentage over his 6 years with us is 41.5%.
Sullivan and Amone had a proven and very successful combination going in the lower grades and both showed plenty of potential. We could have nurtured that a bit more and worked them into first grade together, that's what pathways is all about and it's how you build/restructure a team, not by going out and buying duds (players and coaches) and letting one player tell you what to do and what position he will play. Sullivan was instead given a handful of games over 3 seasons and not nearly enough opportunity. Sullivan played just 4 games in reserves this year but racked up 9 try assists and 7 LB assists. I can't wait to see Sullivan play with a bit of coaching from the great Benji Marshall, shall be interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
You mean out of the 5 games we won this year ? How many did Hunt win us ? Kind of a moot point really.
Sullivan and Amone had a proven and very successful combination going in the lower grades and both showed plenty of potential. (Sullivan played just 4 games in reserves this year but racked up 9 try assists and 7 LB assists). We could have nurtured that a bit more and worked them into first grade together, that's what pathways is all about and it's how you build/restructure a team, not by going out and buying duds (players and coaches) and letting one player tell you what to do and what position he will play. Sullivan was instead given a handful of games over 3 seasons and not nearly enough opportunity. I can't wait to see Sullivan play with a bit of coaching from the great Benji Marshall, shall be interesting to say the least.
100% Kit66, when you have the wrong people in pathways, it cocks up the basis of the club from ground up.

Parko1310

Juniors
Firstly these are my feelings and my feelings only, everyone is entitled to say and do as they please on here. I said in the beginning that I wouldn't criticise Flanno on anything prior to seeing how our team performs next year and who we manage to get as players. Having him in charge of recruiting is a big step in the right direction, does anyone recall Haran !!! My main concern is that he gets pathways back on track immediately, I put this at the highest priority. We can talk about getting marquee players all we like, if we do and he manages it, a huge bonus for us. So we train one day at KOG and he brings in KF, so what, we dont know how this is going to pan out. Everyone on here to me has RL knowledge, opinions and loves the club, we knew things were going tits up last preseason even before a ball was kicked. We all knew how this season was going to go when Hook was told to reapply for his job, game over !! Our season was done and dusted by round 5, we won 5 games in total and no away games, totally ratshit. Like everyone else I'm tired of the BS, tired of the promises, tired of not hearing the team song. But !!! I offered Chinless, Mary and Hook the decency not to send them to the gallows without justification. I will not do it to Flannagan either until I have a reason to, it will take us all about 10 seconds to work out what Flanno has done in the preseason with our first game, new attacking and defensive structures and whats more guts to fight things out when they get tough. This is all I ask. Rant Over :)
I reckon the team is so below par that there will be a few people with the daggers out for Flanno by the end of next season. Not that it will be his fault completely if the team is still doing some of the same old shit. What I'm looking for next year is improvement on the key areas that need it. I want to see less of the shit that frustrates us all so much week after week. I've said it before, but it's going to take 18-24 months for some stuff to get out of our game completely. Habits and learnings over the last 10 odd years will not easily be unlearnt and changed. It's going to be a process, and one that we have to trust. I don't expect greatness and complete evidence of a defensive and offensive structure overhaul by round 1 next year. Flanno will try and implement his structures, but it won't all work straight away. If I see good evidence of major improvement next year, that's all I can ask for because of where we're at in this stage. We're at the very start of Flanno's development of this team and how they play. And we're starting from rock bottom.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Sullivan and Amone had a proven and very successful combination going in the lower grades and both showed plenty of potential. We could have nurtured that a bit more and worked them into first grade together, that's what pathways is all about and it's how you build/restructure a team, not by going out and buying duds (players and coaches) and letting one player tell you what to do and what position he will play. Sullivan was instead given a handful of games over 3 seasons and not nearly enough opportunity. Sullivan played just 4 games in reserves this year but racked up 9 try assists and 7 LB assists. I can't wait to see Sullivan play with a bit of coaching from the great Benji Marshall, shall be interesting to say the least.
Hunt is the bigger problem no doubt and I am no supporter of his, too much salary for minimal return. But I can’t say I have seen Sullivan do much to warrant his $500k either. I am a huge supporter of moving Hunt on to use his salary ($900k) in the player market as I have said many times, but the reality is at the moment nobody seems to want him. If only we had that $1.4M to use!!
I still hold out hope of a player swap before the beginning of 2024 season.

Illusion

Bench
Hunt is the bigger problem no doubt and I am no supporter of his, too much salary for minimal return. But I can’t say I have seen Sullivan do much to warrant his $500k either. I am a huge supporter of moving Hunt on to use his salary ($900k) in the player market as I have said many times, but the reality is at the moment nobody seems to want him. If only we had that $1.4M to use!!
I still hold out hope of a player swap before the beginning of 2024 season.
I still have a feeling there will be some sort of swap ...... Can only hope ...... I for one don't want him any near the joint , and as for Sully being told to look else where , you could see the Flanno son thing happening as both players can cover 7 and 9 ........

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think the Kyle signing is a huge risk for Flanno snr to make especially after releasing Sullivan. But for Flanno Snr to do this knowing his job can potentially be on the line in a couple of years time, especially if Sullivan becomes a star whilst Kyle is in reserves. Flanno surely must feel confident on his son ability to produce the goods. I would love for Kyle to succeed. He was treated very poorly at the Dogs and needs to reset himself and get his confidence up. With the guys they bought in Olopau, Sexton, etc I did not see any of these guys perform better than Kyle that is for sure.

I hear Fatala-Mariner may be coming to the Saints. Maybe Saints will target the Dogs rejects seeing they will be releasing a few. FM on his day is quite good but can find an injury that is for sure. Ryan Sutton will be good one to get as I thought he played well at the Raiders. He has a lot of NRL experience which and may come cheap.

Moving more training to Kogarah is a great move if it will help bring in some players. Jason Saab may be tempted to return. Would we want him back though, that would be more the issue.

I think the Kyle signing is a huge risk for Flanno snr to make especially after releasing Sullivan. But for Flanno Snr to do this knowing his job can potentially be on the line in a couple of years time, especially if Sullivan becomes a star whilst Kyle is in reserves. Flanno surely must feel confident on his son ability to produce the goods. I would love for Kyle to succeed. He was treated very poorly at the Dogs and needs to reset himself and get his confidence up. With the guys they bought in Olopau, Sexton, etc I did not see any of these guys perform better than Kyle that is for sure.

I hear Fatala-Mariner may be coming to the Saints. Maybe Saints will target the Dogs rejects seeing they will be releasing a few. FM on his day is quite good but can find an injury that is for sure. Ryan Sutton will be good one to get as I thought he played well at the Raiders. He has a lot of NRL experience which and may come cheap.

Moving more training to Kogarah is a great move if it will help bring in some players. Jason Saab may be tempted to return. Would we want him back though, that would be more the issue.
Signing Kyle is a massive misstep. If he has been brought in as a half he will just stymie the progress of Herring. If he's been brought in as a dummy-half, we'll... we already have a SoO hooker plus Liddle and Mulheisen.
We should be concentrating on forwards who can offload and bend or break the defensive line and a fullback who can tackle.
What's that expression about a fish rotting from the head...?

Dragon David

First Grade

I was thinking the same Slippery in regard to your first paragraph. Flanno Snr must see something good in his son like most Dads with their kids and to jeopardise both their careers if things go pear shaped would have been on both their minds but must know that they will get the job done and not let anyone down - well I hope that will be the case.

TruSaint

Referee
U couldn’t do ur child a worse disservice if he didn’t think Kyle will flourish

I will be astounded if this is a dumb move

I mean would u recruit ur child if u thought they were a good chance of failing?

Not a chance

Yeah, that's the way i feel about it too.

Flanno has been around long enough to know both himself and his son will be under the spotlight. The media will pounce on the old nepotism play any chance they get.

The way I see it it's almost last chance saloon for Kyle in the NRL at least, and Flanno must believe he can offer enough to make this decision.

Gareth67

First Grade
I lived in a similar hut in the late forties , at the Merrylands Army barracks . Must had been 3 years of age , our parents were saving a deposit for a housing commission home and received one at Dundas Valley .

I recall the corrugated steel huts were damn hot in summer and freezing in the winter , still as a kid we didn’t seem to mind . Cannot recall any immigrants being there , but could be wrong , still they were wonderfull days and everyone was very friendly .

Last edited:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
To be fair I thought Kyle did well at the Roosters in 2020 and was made the scapegoat in the end.
Very solid goal kicker and a pretty strong defender for a half.
I thought Flanagan looked a decent player as well. But then the Roosters have a habit of making their halfback the scapegoat. Hastings, Flanagan, Lam, Walker, all unceremoniously released or dropped. Poor bloke will definitely have the spotlight on him whenever/wherever he plays.

TheRev

Coach
o Agree that Flanno will have a lot of pressure next year, but those with the longer term view should forget the Top8 stuff.. and be looking for progress in the basics of the game that we are awful at currently (particularly that edge defence), plus ongoing roster improvements... i.e. players demoted.. moved on.. new talent bought in.. ongoing pro-active improvements.... but 'even if' he pulls that off... I don't know who the Bottom 4 will be next year.. and how we're going to get out of the cellar.. most sides are flying.

o Kyle has basically a full 4 yrs of extra 1st grade / nsw cup experience over Sullivan, Kyle can come in and do his job tomorrow... he is genuine hooker cover, 6 or a 7.. genuine goalkicking coverage, has played halves in NRL finals.. isnt a defensive liability.. there are a lot of positives, and I do get the fear... I've been talking up Sullivan over Amone for years, I love the kid.. but his injuries make him very difficult to plan around, and I suspect thats a huge part of it..... and this is only a guess.. but I have a feeling that he was a bit of a handful to coach and work with... only because all the clues seem to point to Hunt and the squad (over a number of seasons) always preferring to go with Amone despite Sullivan having so much more ability... I mean im dissapointed cause I rly liked him.. but I just dont see the point in crying over spilt milk.. like letting anyone go.. maybe itll be a masterful decision.. maybe we will regret it.. but I think he had probably 2yrs work to do to be a reliable first grade half... and I think Flanagan wants to move faster than that.

o The mention of Herring is irrelevant (another kid that I want to see stick around), cause he doesnt even have a dev/supp contract yet.. im not even sure hes going to end up in the halves, maybe a centre.. but Kyle is like 6yrs in front of him.. there is 0 comparison.. I think *2024 could be a rly good year for Herring.. I think it has to be, but again im not 100% sure we are keeping him.. if we were I thought we would have wrapped him up by now.

Last edited:

Latest posts